Bars-Release Moves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've heard of people using it in L7 (piked though, not straddled, but I've never seen it around here), so I guess they do. Or maybe you would just get the high to low transition...but then that wouldn't really account for why it's being used in L7. It seems unnecessarily hard to kip out of, and like you'd need the bars closer than most JO teams usually put them, but I've never tried it, so who knows.

Pacs

I did pacs when i was like 9 (with spot of course) but they are really fun and i loved them. i haven't tried them recently (i'm 14) but i did really like like them.

Let me clarify (Ive been away from the forum for a while, so sorry for the late response)..

When I said Pak's are "easy" it's a relative term. For a level 8, who has solid foundations, and should know how to cast handstand, drop to kip, it is a fairly easy skill to do progressions for.

Yes, it can take as much as a year to learn. It can take 2 years! However, there are many drills that can be done safely, indepenently, with guidance, to develop the feel for the skill.

I think of a pak as more of a visual skill than a timing skill. Much like straddle backs, if you dont see where youre going, it's generally unsafe. (again, my opinion and how I coach)

As I see it, Nastia struggles with hers because she does all of her release moves so big. She, and her father, and the much of the audience, enjoy high flying, really exaggerated skills (look at her geinger!). Look at most other pak saltos and you will not see that hard jolt on the low bar catch like hers. She is falling early and struggling to kip because of the impact, not because it's a hard skill. In my opinion, the way she does it will lead to injury in her shoulders.

I look at most gymnastics skills and I have come up with a basic principle - gymnastics is based on natural motion of the body - therefore, gymnastics is natural and, quite frankly, "easy." It is the training of your body, mind, and the methods for doing the skills that takes time and effort and practice to perfect, which is "hard." There is a reason we encourage toe point on almost every skill in gymnastics, and it sure isnt because it looks pretty.

Just my 2 cents...

Ryan

I heard those downhills were down in the way back when the bars were closer together and I'm pretty sure they only get the transition requirement.

Here is the cut catch I suggested earlier. They are not usually seen in a competition. This one is done on low bar, but they are worth more on high bar (i don't get why its the same skill lol) they look like they are easier release moves but they are kinda tricky to learn. I would try it they are a lot of fun once you get the hang of them and add diffuculty in higher levels.

Cut catch

we used to do straddle cut catches and tumble turns (I think someone called it a straddle roll drop to low bar) back in the 80s. hee hee

do you go by the NFHS rules? do the names medium, superior, high superior, and bonus-high-superior mean anything to you?

If so...
work some hiccups or cut-catches...make sure whatever you want to learn is listed in the rule book or else its not gonna count...hate for you to learn that the hard way...

talk with your coach...they should be helping you with your routine to make sure you fulfill all the requirements...

Good luck

do you go by the NFHS rules? do the names medium, superior, high superior, and bonus-high-superior mean anything to you?

If so...
work some hiccups or cut-catches...make sure whatever you want to learn is listed in the rule book or else its not gonna count...hate for you to learn that the hard way...

talk with your coach...they should be helping you with your routine to make sure you fulfill all the requirements...

Good luck

Most skills, even those not listed, will be accepted by judges if the skill is presented before the meet. Uniqueness is actually built (poorly, IMO) into the girl's rules and scoring system. It would probably be refreshing to see a skill no one else does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back