WAG Basic beam dismounts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Say CW/BT or FT. Is there much of a difference difficulty-wise between them? Does one lead to higher skills more than another? What is most commonly seen at 6/7? What do 8's usually do?

CW/BT can progress to RO/BT or RO/BLO and then add twisting in L8 and up. Front tuck can lead to front pick and then front lay and then add twisting eventually. I've seen all of the above. My dd did FT at L7 and L8 and this year at L9 switched to RO/full.

Difficulty difference depends on the gymnast, but in most cases the CW/BT is harder because of the connection. However, I've seen a few girls who have beautiful BT dismounts but were terrified of/couldn't do the FT.
The CW/BT is usually more progressive. It leads to a RO/BT which can lead into LO's & twisting & way down the road, even bigger dismounts (double backs etc). The FT can progress into layouts & twisting as well, but it seems more difficult for most than a backwards dismount.
There's about an even split at 6/7, probably more CW/BT in 7 than 6. Both can score very well. A lot of 8's do RO/LO or twists, but there are still a lot of front pikes. I didn't really see any FT's, but they do have the same value as pikes. I have only seen a couple of lvl 8 meets though so take this with a grain of salt :)

Can they twist in 7 or not until 8? Mine is just doing FT now, but he has her working toward front full. She will probably be 6 in the fall, so this question is not for the near future!

A half twist, which is a B, is allowed. A front full is a C, so that isn't allowed until 8, & even then, it can be the only acro C in the routine.

I see lots of level 7s doing cartwheel tucks, and a lot of 6s doing front tucks. I see both score well, it really depends on the gymnast. She can do a front half I believe in 7 but no twisting in 6. I think cartwheel tuck is more useful in the long run, but they both have their pros/cons

I see lots of level 7s doing cartwheel tucks, and a lot of 6s doing front tucks. I see both score well, it really depends on the gymnast. She can do a front half I believe in 7 but no twisting in 6. I think cartwheel tuck is more useful in the long run, but they both have their pros/cons
She can do a half twist in 6. It's only a B. There aren't any rules against twisting.

Difficulty difference depends on the gymnast, but in most cases the CW/BT is harder because of the connection. However, I've seen a few girls who have beautiful BT dismounts but were terrified of/couldn't do the FT.
The CW/BT is usually more progressive. It leads to a RO/BT which can lead into LO's & twisting & way down the road, even bigger dismounts (double backs etc). The FT can progress into layouts & twisting as well, but it seems more difficult for most than a backwards dismount.
There's about an even split at 6/7, probably more CW/BT in 7 than 6. Both can score very well. A lot of 8's do RO/LO or twists, but there are still a lot of front pikes. I didn't really see any FT's, but they do have the same value as pikes. I have only seen a couple of lvl 8 meets though so take this with a grain of salt :)

When we went to our one and only meet in the US, dd competed level 8 and was so confused why they took out her round off layout and "made her do a baby dismount" (her words) of a front tuck. Then she saw everyone was doing them. I still shake my head at the difference in difficulty between bars and everything else there, I guess we are moving to that too now, in Ontario. And it seems as though it is quite a successful program. ;)

On DD's L6 team, most girls do a CW/BT dismount. My DD (and one other teammate) do a FT dismount due to some off and on back tumbling fears. Her coach prefers the CW/BT though.

On DD's L6 team half do CW/BT and half do FT, with the exception of one girl who does a BWO/BT. My DD does a CW/BT, but personally I think her FT is more polished. I often wonder why the coach has her do the CW/BT instead of the FT if there is no point advantage at this level.

When my dd was a level 7 she did a front tuck. First year level 8 she did a BHS/BT. 2nd year level 8 she is doing a FLO. Hoping for a front full next year.

Cartwheel/Round-Off dismounts tend to lead to bigger skills down the road. Think of the Olympics... how many front dismounts were there? It's also an easy way to get the side and/or front element requirement in for levels 8+

In addition there is also a small deduction (.05) at the upper levels for having a beam dismount that is a single skill of required difficulty (which would be a majority of front dismounts).

leading dismount 8 and up= cartwheel or round off to 'something'. these lead to to bigger dismounts because of the energy created with the skill prior to dismount itself.

anything 'front' off is also difficult in and of itself. you can't generate as much linear force from running on the beam as you can doing a couple of steps>to hurdle>to round off>to something.

double fronts are very rare. very difficult and somewhat dangerous if you don't have the right tools.

lay fulls and rudi's are more prevalent but are difficult also.

then there are "preserve thy body" dismounts. gainers off the side. :)

I'm level 7 and I have trouble with cartwheels and I always lean to one side more, so my coach had me do cartwheel gainer off the side. It is easier because I don't have to stay on the beam. If I start to fall sideways, I just kick my leg and flip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back