Coaches Beam basics (leaps & jumps)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nico

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Dear coaches,

as a MAG gymnast and MAG coach, I am currently coaching WAG.
I could use some help for beam though, as boy's don't have a similar event (obviously).
So my question: are there some tips and tricks you can give me for basic jumps, leaps and turns.
Where do their feet have to be, where do the arms go, etc.
I assume I have to pay attention to which foot is in front, especially when gymnasts start to couple jumps?
In MAG we pay attention to which hand to turn on for pirouettes, blind turn, Healey, Diamidov, Rybalko, etc. Some of the skills are on the right hand, others on the left hand.
Are there things on beam like this to pay attention to, to avoid problems later?

Thanks for your input!

Jumps should be similar to how they are on the floor. If they are compulsory routines, the arms will be specified. In general, I have my girls jump with their arms above their head, straight up. Dominant foot is usually in front.
Beam jumps/leaps has a lot to do.with fear, but they should have technique from floor.

Thanks for your reaction 'flipandtwist'.
As we boy's don't really jump on floor either, I wouldn't know the different techniques used on floor.
I'm not familiar to the English names of the jumps, but here's how I teach the jumps currently:
For a straight jump the arms go above the head, but for a tuck tuck jump I let them block the arms right in front of them. Same for Kozac (Wolf?).
For twists I let them swing one arm from the front to the back, and the other from the back to the front, all the way up to initiate the twist.
I suppose that the dominant foot for jumps is the same as the girls put in front for a cartwheel?
What to do with split jumps when their best split is with the other foot in front.
(I know that both splits should be good, but unfortunately this isn't always the case)
Are split jumps initiated from a chassé?

Any literature or good video's would be appreciated too :)
Thanks!

Oh,I get that boys don't do jumps on floor, but all jumps on beam should be started on the floor. If they have already learned the jumps on the floor, they should just move them to the beam. If no, your real place to start is learning all said jumps on the floor first.
I don't know how to embed a video on mobile, but if you search beam jumps, a video by mostepanovafan comes up where or shows leaps and jumps and their names/value.
What level girls are you teaching?

When I teach jumps (especially starting out), I have kids start with arms out to the side. The problem I find with starting with arms up is when they swing down their chests drop (this is to be avoided at all costs). So I have them start arms out to the side, drop them down to their sides (making sure hands never go behind their hips), and then swing upwards in front of them to their ears.

I teach dominant foot in front, and when they start turning jumps I make sure they are turning the same way as their dominant foot. Ie. right foot in front, turn towards your right shoulder. This is because if you turn the other direction it encourages "cheating" or turning before the gymnast gets in the air, in which case judges may not give credit for the skill.

As far as conditioning for higher jumps etc. Jumps up onto blocks etc will always help your gymnasts get more air time.

You can also do shaping drills on the floor that will help gymnasts shapes in the air. Ie. have the gymnast lay on her back on the floor, arms out to the side as if about to gym. Arms go down to her sides and then swing up as she lifts her legs into the desired jumps position. Ie laying on the floor in a tuck (or other jump shape).

It looks a little like what is going on at the beginning of this video

We don't really work with the same level's here in Belgium as you do in the USA.
I suppose we're still low level as we are working on basic jumps, cartwheel, handstand and back walkover on beam.
Thanks for the interesting video. I liked the link and it brought me to other interesting video's.
I don't want to question your idea's on dominant foot in front and turning to that side. But I thought that twisting and turning direction wasn't related to dominant side/foot?
What if someone twists to the right but has a left-handed (dominant left foot) cartwheel?

I (personally) want them turning the way they split. Ie. if their right leg split is dominant/the way they split jump best, I want them turning to the right and starting with their right foot in front. That GENERALLY but not always means that they'll also cartwheel on their right leg.

I think you're doing well with the way you're thinking through all of it. Just remember to be flexible on your ideas when/if a kid's body doesn't agree with your presumptions and wants to do it slightly different.... like not following GymCoachR2's turn and split leap doctrine. It seems like a fine rule of thumb, but sometimes you get a kid who's all thumbs..... so adapt.

The best advice I can give you is to listen to logic........

It's right to want your kids to jump, turn, and leap well. But you don't need to focus on those elements because they'll take care of themselves, for the most part, if they're taught a few important concepts.

Beam skills come from the foot and work their way up. This means the skills get pushed up into the air rather than following along with what their arms. The arm placement is there because they are used to counterbalance what the legs are doing, and that's something you can pick up from any one who's had a bit of dance training. The important thing is stressing that the arms do not pull you into the air, and generally speaking the less they are used the better.

Another concept that'll help them learn any skill is that every moment on the beam is a learning moment, and the best way to learn is to use good posture with shoulders above the hips as much as practical, and to keep a tight core. In my mind the most important part of a beam workout is the space between the skills. If the kids fill those spaces with an attitude that they will control their body, even while just standing there listening to you, every moment they're feet are off the floor. So in a 50 minute beam workout there should be a minimum of 40 minutes of concentrated effort to be balanced..... the other 10 minutes being the moments they move mats, chalk their feet, and complain about not being on their favorite beam.

Very good tips, but I would have thought that there would be more consensus on how to perform the different jumps. Off course I understand that every kid is different and we coaches have to be flexible in our approach.
So no problem if a kid is performing a wolf jump with left leg in front, but starts with the right leg in front on the beam? Same with turning left when the right foot is in front?
And arms aren't used to create lift, but to keep balance.

Thanks!

I think you took my advice to it's illogical extreme.

The wolf jump will likely be done with the same foot in front because that's what makes sense to most kids and their own concept of body sense. Kinda like how we all reach for the door knob before we get to the door we want to open. In the sense that the kids start a wolf jump with their feet close together, it wouldn't be a big deal if they wanted to do it with a lift in front stand and a right extended leg at the peak of the jump.

As far as the full turn goes. If they can step to their right foot and then turn to the left, it's not the norm but it's a legitimate turn that they'd receive credit for. There's nothing but cleanup to worry about as long as they are turning a full (relatively speaking) 360 degrees on one foot, are consistent with the entry and exit of the turn, and are looking sure of themselves during the turn. The only thing that might be a problem is if they some day go to a skills test of some sort and are asked to do an outward turn rater than the inside turn you've described.

I don't think I'd keep the kids from using their arms to help the jump, but they should use them to compliment the legs action during the push up phase of the jump and then be available to act as a counter weight (to the legs) during the elevation and action of the jump. You can see the first kid to do the wolf on the beam finishes her arm swing slightly above shoulder level because they can't help her achieve height once her toes, ankles, and hips have pushed and extended.

Many times you'll see kids working as though their arms can help them elevate...... even though they're already into the air for what is certain to be a brief moment..... and because of that they don't use their legs. It could be a mild fear of actually jumping that cause this arm dominance, but the "why" doesn't matter because they need to know to use their legs for pushing and their arms for compression at the bottom of their plie', and to help them maintain rhythm through the plie' into the jump.

Watch a lot of youtube video and look for logical reasons why some kids are solid through a skill and others are shaky. You'll do pretty good if you watch a handful of videos (of one skill) and coach based upon your conclusions.

I totally agree with iwannacoach, no one way is perfect for every kid. I teach things one way (usually the way I think will work best for most) generally and if it obviously isn't working for a kid we change it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back