Coaches Beam Choreography?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so I'd like to ask all you artistic people to do me a favour; watch this video and let me know how this beam routine is. I've never choreographed a beam routine before, and as I was a MAG, I'd never had one myself. I know that her skills need work and it needs cleaning up, but just let me know how the choreography looks. Thanks!
J- Beam Fall 2011 - YouTube

The key to good choreography on any apparatus is not to lose points for it. Simple dance and movements are best. If the gymnast is going to lose points for dace (due to wobbles, unpointed toes etc) then avoid it as the dance step won't add any points to the routine.

There could be a little more dance, it depends on your code but for FIG it is a 0.1-0.3 deduction if there is insufficient creative choreography.

Is this for an optional level? Again I am not sure what code of points you are using but with the FIG code (international code) the wolf jump now needs to hit 45 degree's above horizontal to pay without deduction for lack of height and if the leg does not hit horizontal it does not pay as a wolf jump, do you have another option?

I would also say that she doesn't travel enough on the beam to satisfy our code - Our gymnasts would mount at the dismount end of the beam, travel to the opposite end, turn and then travel back to the dismount.

Depending on level our girls use leg flicks, dips, leaps or forward traveling moves to acheive this.

hth

'margo

If the half turn isn't a requirement, I would say take it out and get her to mount from the other side of the beam. That way it would flow much better. I would also take out the needle kick and replace it with a step through to the front.

When I make up a routine, I usually put their best skills at the start to help with confidence and I think presents them better to the judges. As for dance I usually pick out a few key poses to be put in after each skill and then decide how to best get in-out of them, to flow from the finish postitions of the skill into the start postition for the next one.

I would proberly change her last pose to a toe to knee, would look a lot more tidy I think. Not bad for a first effort, needs some polish. Always try to extend everything as much as possible. She has nice wrist flick and fingers so get her to work it! :)

I also agree with heatha-featha put their most consistent skills first. It gives them a confidence boost at the beginning of the routine which will hopefully carry through to their other skills. If they have falls early on it can throw them out for the rest of the routine.

I also agree with heatha-featha put their most consistent skills first. It gives them a confidence boost at the beginning of the routine which will hopefully carry through to their other skills. If they have falls early on it can throw them out for the rest of the routine.

Whilst I personally agree with this, I have actually taken to asking my gymnasts whether they want a certain skill at the beginning to get it over with or at the end! Most tell me they want it at the beginning and I find that even if they fall, they know that skill (usually bwo or bhs) is out of the way and they can focus on the rest!

lol communicating with your gymnasts is a very underrated thing!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back