Parents Beam issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey I’m new here and new to gym! My daughter has got into the development team at gym. She started gym 6 months ago when she was 5 (she’s 6 this month). She is brilliant at floor and vault but really poor on beam and is average at bars. She struggles with bars due to lacking upper body strength (can do pullover if she can jump but can’t quite do it from chin up yet)- I’m not worried about this as she’d never done strength training until now so I know it will come.

Her big issue is beam, she has been working on beam for a few months now but doesn’t seem to be getting better. Her balance is really not great. Everything she’s expected to do on beam she can do perfectly on floor so it’s not the skills that are the issue but she really struggles with balance. I’ve tried doing extra balance practice like standing on one leg, bending one leg whilst standing on it etc but her beam doesn’t seem to be getting better. Again when on floor she can balance on one leg fine.

Any tips or tricks that would help?

Just give it time. She's newly turned 6 and been doing gymnastics for only 6 months. Kids develop at different rates including their vestibular system.
I’ve probably worded it wrong, I mean more I can see progress in everything she does other than beam and she’s focused a lot on beam lately. Her balance doesn’t seem to be improving on it. Off the beam she’s fine with balance (not amazing but fine). I guess I just wondered if there were any exercises she could do to help her

If she seems legitimately (i.e., medically) unstable then get her looked at by a doctor. Chronic ear infection can mess up your balance. Otherwise, take a breath, and give it time.
I’ve probably worded it wrong, I mean more I can see progress in everything she does other than beam and she’s focused a lot on beam lately. Her balance doesn’t seem to be improving on it. Off the beam she’s fine with balance (not amazing but fine). I guess I just wondered if there were any exercises she could do to help her

I’m not expecting miracles as she’s so new to gym and has done incredible to get straight into the pre squad/development (same thing where we live). I just worry about the complete 0 progress in this one area vs steady progress everywhere else

Every event will have a different growth curve. She is six years old. I would not be adding practice outside of the gym...trust her coaching team. Wait until you have years where they lose skills and go backwards on events...its quite common for many. No need to worry!

Every event will have a different growth curve. She is six years old. I would not be adding practice outside of the gym...trust her coaching team. Wait until you have years where they lose skills and go backwards on events...its quite common for many. No need to worry!
Thanks this is entirely new to me I don’t know anything about gym

You will find that progress is not going to be linear on every event. Kids will often struggle on getting one skill or they may have an event that is just harder for them. I wouldn’t worry about her beam progress.

My daughter is 9 and has been competing for 4 years. Beam has always been a struggle but it’s finally clicking this year. This is the first year that I think she might actually stay on the beam during competition. She progresses much faster on other events but beam has been slow and steady. Be patient as it will come with time and practice.

I still see 11 year old girls practicing 16+ hours a week look not so comfortable on beam. It's a very hard apparatus and it probably won't look great for a while, so I wouldn't be worried. Having the skills on floor is the first step, so looks like your daughter is well on her way :) Practicing the skills on a "soft" low beam or a taped line on a mat could help if your daughter wants to practice at home. As long as it's fun!

She is 6 - it takes time. Each child learns their balance at different times.

My DD was a late bloomer for "balance. at age 6 she was a full on weeble-wobble on the beam - every skill had me holding my breathe that she would stay on the beam. by age 9 she started to look more steady. Most of her peers looked more steady by age 7/8. She was later but really has come into her own in the last year making beam one of her better events.

It is always key to be really solid on the skill on the floor first then floor tape, then the wide beam on the floor etc. for progressions. DD also worked on a "tape" beam in our house for releve etc. Getting used to being in a specific position, keeping still, on the tape. It really helped her balance over time but we didn't even start that until she was 8.

I'm gonna be brutally honest - she may never really improve in balance on beam.

My daughter's optional beam routine is choreographed in a way where she has the least ability to fall off just walking. She's got weak/loose ankles, she does PT, she did months of balance board exercises (where she can balance just great, even while doing squats), and while it's improved somewhat with age, she is still 100% picking up every deduction possible for wobbles and lack of confidence.

Just let her do her thing, and hopefully she reaches a level where a choreographer can hide the biggest issues lol

Shift movement science recommends weighted carries for improving ankle stability. I'm getting my daughter to do this right now in hopes that it will decrease beam wobbles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back