WAG Beam Nerves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast28

Gymnast
ok so I am having this huge issue with beam and competitions. I have always been one to never really get nervous or turn the nerves into adrenaline on every event other than beam. I’ve always been a bit nervous on beam but last comp season my nerves got so bad and have followed me through to this year. My beam was solid last year if I wasn’t competing I could stick 5 beam routines in a row with minimal wobbling but as soon as I competed I would fall or have huge wobbles. My beam is not as strong this year but still decent but when I hit completion it just falls apart(fell twice at my most recent comp and wobbled on everything). As soon as I get on the beam I get sweating and start shaking. I was just wondering if anyone had tips to reduce nerves on beam and be more confident in yourself while competing on beam. Thanks

Beam is an aggressive event just like everything else… I like to say “aggressive focus”. Make sure you don’t have any skills in the routine that you are worried about being “aggressive“ on.

Otherwise it’s just more numbers. Instead of 5 in a row… try doing a pressure set with the whole gym watching.

See it… do it… win it!

Last edited:
With numbers... remember that you can't do better than 1 out of 1. Numbers like 9 out of 10 are really not very good... what if the one you missed was regionals and you din't make nationals? Then the other 9 are junk.

We give numbers / assignments more like...

"Everyone do 5 routines and tell me how many you went 1 out of 1 on?"

"This is Nationals... let's see you go 1 out of 1 right now!"

"Everyone has 5 chances to go 1 out of 1 three times right now... let's see who can win!"

We basically turn everything into a 1 out of 1 assignment because that's what a meet is.

Besides pressure routines, another thing we have our girls do to build confidence and consistency is triple routines: you go throw your entire routine with all your choreography, but when you get to a skill, you make it three times in a row. Example: mount, choreo, turn, turn, turn, choreo, BHS, BHS, BHS, and so on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back