Parents Beam series level 7/8 and moving forward

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
So my kid has had a BHS-BHS on beam for a while now, competed it on level 7 for her last few meets before COVID. She has always hated a BWO on beam and has *never* competed it. She did a single BHS on L5 and L6 and then a BHS-BHS on L7. After they were allowed to return to gym, she was assigned to the upper level beam coach who is tough but gets amazing results. Well that coach will not let her do a BHS-BHS again (like at all) until she gets a BWO-BHS. I am trying to understand the benefit of this. I don't think that I've ever seen a BWO on beam after level 7 or 8, and it isn't required on any level, right? How do you think this will help her?

• Sad
Reactions: sce
So my kid has had a BHS-BHS on beam for a while now, competed it on level 7 for her last few meets before COVID. She has always hated a BWO on beam and has *never* competed it. She did a single BHS on L5 and L6 and then a BHS-BHS on L7. After they were allowed to return to gym, she was assigned to the upper level beam coach who is tough but gets amazing results. Well that coach will not let her do a BHS-BHS again (like at all) until she gets a BWO-BHS. I am trying to understand the benefit of this. I don't think that I've ever seen a BWO on beam after level 7 or 8, and it isn't required on any level, right? How do you think this will help her?
No answer for you, but this seems absurd.

I don't know that coach's reasoning, but my daughter has her BHS-BHS and she is still required to keep working her BWO-BHS so if she is unable to complete the BHS-BHS series, she can do the BWO-BHS to still get credit for the series requirement (Level 8).

OH! Maybe that is it...so if she misses the connection, she has a back up since you can't repeat a "double" series? That might be it! That did happen to her last season and she threw a handstand-BHS but this makes sense, I think! Thanks

Reactions: sce
I would not be a fan of this my DD doesnt like BWO on beam it hurts her back and can lead to many back issues I told her that she isnt really allowed to work on them since they hurt and if her coach has an issue she can disuss with me. Luckily coach did not have an issue. I feel like its a high risk low reward skill in terms of potential overuse injuries. I would keep an eye on her back if they are making her work high reps. She is doing HS BHS for level 7 and if she doesnt have a BHS BHS for level 8 we will work to find something else just not a fan of BWO

The absurd part to me is that the coach won't let her continue to work on the BHS BHS. Not a bad idea to have a "back up" series though.

It is a bit concerning to me because many series can meet the requirement. As well, sone kids can’t tolerate doing beam backwalkover and it could lead to back to injury

The absurd part to me is that the coach won't let her continue to work on the BHS BHS. Not a bad idea to have a "back up" series though.
Agree totally. It's almost like a battle of wills. I mean she's super nice to my kid and never makes her do more than 10 BWO, but just a little odd.

I think it's a little strange too. My dd never competed a back walkover on beam (did BHS in 5 and then BHS BHS in 7 and 8). She said that she worked on a BWO a little back in 7, but hasn't done one since.

I have always had this problem - can't get a bwo on beam! Once had a bad experience trying to do it and hurt myself, so I cant bring myself to try again. Could be to do with back flexibility that I had such a hard time.

No one should do 10 BWO in a row over multiple days. It's physically dangerous. Period. It's not dynamic back flexing, but it's still hyperflexing at a vulnerable area for gymnasts in light of the pounding they do on other events. Your coach should talk to a doctor before continuing to push her. Either the coach is inexperienced, overly experienced and relies on old methods, trying to get control of your daughter, or a combination of those.

I love progressions and numbers generally, but not every gymnast is the same. Good coaches can calibrate skill selection and numbers to suit each child. I can come up with many, many examples of high-scoring gymnasts that wouldn't do certain skills on certain events or couldn't do certain skills after an injury, including the bwo. Nastia, for instance, couldn't land tumbling salto passes backwards. She did fine.

Presuming this is mental block, forcing gymnasts to do skills they can't/won't usually creates other blocks and doesn't dissolve them - contrary to antiquated coaching norms. Some gymnasts respond to bullying. Others respond well to having skills taken away as punishment, retribution, or motivation. Unfortunately, neither approach ends well.

BWO are used in hopes/elite, but that's about it. They are pretty?

Hmmm... this is a lot of think about. It doesn't seem like bullying as much as a challenge, but my kid can be pretty naive and might not be getting a subtle message? I almost never watch practice, but the few times I have it seems like my kid just bangs out 10 BW-BHS series and moves on without drama, but no, the BWO is not gorgeous. She does not have a mental block (knock on wood!), just hates doing them because she isn't the most flexible kid and she has a much easier time with a BHS.

I did encourage her to ask her coach. The reply she got (N.B. that she is 10, so could be left to interpretation) was that her BHS-BHS is solid and is what she will compete assuming there is a season and that she does L8. However, I guess, similar to what some said above, if she misses her series, on level 7 she could have done a CW-CW or a HS-BHS but on L8, she would need a BWO-BHS? Something like that. So perhaps there is a method to the madness, but I still can't grasp the rationale for doing more of your "back up series" than your actual series in practice.

Good call on the number of BWO, though. I will say something to the head coach if this persists. Thank you!

My own daughter would not do a blind/front giant, but would do a blind/stalder in front grip. Fortunately, everyone thought that was fine so there were no issues! She has always said that the bhs/bhs was the scariest thing to her in gymnastics. Whatever works and keeps your daughter healthy is the way to go. :cool:

I’m confused? So the theory is if she falls during a meet doing handspring handspring she can get back up and do walk over handspring? I don’t think I have ever seen a kid miss that but then get up and do an alternate connection..that’s interesting. This would be very bad for my DD. She hasn’t done a back walkover on beam for a year and a half now with the exception of a random camp or 2 that wanted them all to do them as part of a warm up

I’m confused? So the theory is if she falls during a meet doing handspring handspring she can get back up and do walk over handspring? I don’t think I have ever seen a kid miss that but then get up and do an alternate connection..that’s interesting. This would be very bad for my DD. She hasn’t done a back walkover on beam for a year and a half now with the exception of a random camp or 2 that wanted them all to do them as part of a warm up
apparently, this is because her series is two of the same elements (BHS-BHS) so if she does one BHS and misses her connection or falls, she can then no longer reattempt the same series because there would be three of the same skill in the routine. That is my understanding at least.

apparently, this is because her series is two of the same elements (BHS-BHS) so if she does one BHS and misses her connection or falls, she can then no longer reattempt the same series because there would be three of the same skill in the routine. That is my understanding at least.

Oh ok! Thanks for that clarification, I was confused.

I'm not a fan of having big back up options for falls/major mistakes because usually you are just adding more deductions. If it was a case of the repeat was going to get the gymnast qualified to the next competition then maybe. Usually it is better to move on and fix it for the next time - every competition is a learning opportunity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back