Parents Beginner questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Graham14

Proud Parent
I found this site a while ago and posted once before and received a ton of great advice, so I'm back!

When I signed her up at a gym that just opened in town, I told them that she needed the lowest level for her age because she didn't have any skills at that point (and I mean none lol). She can do a bridge and the splits, but that's it.

When she went to the class on Saturday, every other kid in the class must have been about 3 years old. The class was supposed to be 4-6, and my daughter is 5. I totally get that they just opened, so I understand that they probably haven't filled up yet which is why the ages are off.

The next level up was practicing at the same time and it was obvious that they were older (looked more like 7 or 8 year old), and had taken gymnastics before.

She's only had the one class, so I would HATE to ask to switch her to a higher level, particularly because that level required skills in the description that DD clearly doesn't have. On the other hand, while she did have fun, they work on a lot harder stuff in her dance tumbling class that they didn't even touch in the gymnastics class. I'm torn. I don't like to be an intrusive parent. I like to pay my tuition dues, sit back, and watch my daughter learn cool things and get some exercise. But i'm not sure if it's worth trekking out another day of the week to another activity, if she isn't learning anything.

I imagine in a year she'll get the skills needed to move up a level at gym, through her dance tumbling class, and then there won't be any issue. But is it worth it to go out another day and pay a year's tuition to what is pretty much a baby class? I don't want to take her out of gymnastics because she absolutely loves it. I won't post pics of her face here, but in every picture of her from her dance tumbling class she literally has a s*** eating grin while doing everything! Even the things that "hurt" like splits stretching lol! She was a touch disappointed that the gym class didn't try cartwheels, because she has been desperate to be able to do one.

I won't say switching gyms isnt an option, but it's my least favorite of any options available. There are two well know gyms (for our area) a little farther away, but for several reasons i would rather make it work here if possible.

Would you ask the coaches if DD is in the right class or do you think I'm crazy since it has only been one class and she doesn't have the skills for the higher level?

My gut says to wait it out, but I've also got to keep my wild and crazy 2 year old from running out onto the mat during the class, so i do feel like it's a bit of effort to go and not as easy as just sitting there.

How long has she been going? If levels are progressive then it would be a safe guess that she'll learn all the skills for the next level in a reasonable time frame. If it hasn't been long I would try to be patient. If it's been awhile I think it's fair to ask someone the time frame for introducing the skills for moving up.

I think 3 and 5 are pretty different developmentally- I would expect a 3 yo to be in a mommy and me class, while a 5 yo would be in a more serious, actual gymnastics class.

I do think if she was in the wrong class that they would tell you. It's happened to both my kids across multiple gyms and activities- they've been moved up, down, and sideways as appropriate.

It might be worth asking about the ages in the class. Also, Is there a similar level class on a different day that might have kids closer to her age?

I would ask if there is a group she would fit better with. At my gym, they are a bit flexible with ages to accommodate people's schedules, so your situation could happen there too. And at that age/level, they're not as likely to suggest a class shift, I have found.
I imagine gym staff are used to parents overestimating their child's ability, so when you said she needs the lowest level they probably took your word for it! By your description of your dd, I would guess she should be up a level, however your gym works it. There are plenty of 5 yr olds who can't jump more than an inch or stand on a beam, they would probably belong in that class ;)

On the other hand, while she did have fun, they work on a lot harder stuff in her dance tumbling class that they didn't even touch in the gymnastics class.

Keep in mind, that when it comes down to it, dance tumbling and gymnastics tumbling are two different things. It's all in the details. Things take FOREVER in gym, because there are progressions. They don't want the kiddos chucking skills and developing bad habits.

A few years ago, Short Stack was really jealous of one of her friends who is in cheer, because her friend had "better" splits than she did (she was down to floor and SS wasn't yet). I had to tell her that cheer splits and gymnastics splits were different. I asked her about all of the things her coaches remind her of when working on splits, and then to look at her friend's splits and see if her coaches would be happy. We emphasized that there was no right or wrong, just that the two disciplines have different requirements for splits. She paid attention and realized her friend's splits wouldn't fly in the gym, and everything was fine.

What I would do is ask if there is the same level class available with a slightly older group of girls. She's probably at the right level, she might just need to be with 5 & 6 year olds where the class can move at a quicker pace.

I told them that she needed the lowest level for her age because she didn't have any skills at that point (and I mean none lol)
I assume they would use their judgment when any new kid walks into their gym. I’m guessing there isn’t much range of skills for a 5 year olds that hadn’t taken classes before. Not sure how big the gym is but it would surprising for me that they would place 5 year olds that hadn’t taken classes before in different classes based on parental comments.

When she went to the class on Saturday, every other kid in the class must have been about 3 years old. The class was supposed to be 4-6
If there wasn’t an appropriate class I’m surprised they wouldn’t have told you. IMO it’s not appropriate to put a 5 year old in a class with 3 year olds (for almost anything).

The next level up was practicing at the same time and it was obvious that they were older (looked more like 7 or 8 year old), and had taken gymnastics before.
Are you sure this gym has a class with 3-year olds and the next level up is 7 & 8 year olds with experience? That’s a pretty huge gap. This doesn't sound right.

Would you ask the coaches if DD is in the right class
This doesn’t sound like a coach related decision. I would just call the gym explain the situation and ask for clarification. They may be sorting this out and are planning to get in touch with you and others as they work out these types of issues.

How long has she been going? .

This was only her first class! We started in session 3 because she just wrapped up cheer season.

That's why I feel like a total crazy person already contemplating this.

I guess I expected it to be other pre-K, kindergarten, and 1st grade kids with no experience, because that is what the description said.

It wasn't so much abilities maybe but attention span of the other kids? A few were still at the stage where they were running to their parents or going before their turn.

It might be worth asking about the ages in the class. Also, Is there a similar level class on a different day that might have kids closer to her age?

That's totally possible but the other classes for this level are full.

I would ask if there is a group she would fit better with.

That's what I was thinking about doing, but I because the gym is so new, I am not sure there is a group for her? This one should have been the one, because it is the oldest "age level" group, whereas the other levels are ability based.

What I would do is ask if there is the same level class available with a slightly older group of girls. She's probably at the right level, she might just need to be with 5 & 6 year olds where the class can move at a quicker pace.

Because I don't know much about gymnastics, I don't have a good idea of anything Lol! I do not think there is an older group for the same level. I think they let in younger kids to accommodate or to fill the class since they are a new gym, and this one was supposed to be her age. THis is the oldest age based class. The next level up is ability based.

I totally get that they have to develop muscle a certain way and all of that and it is different to dance. Although her dance tumbling teacher is also a gymnastics instructor at one of the established gyms in the area.

I guess I'm concerned, if you can call it that, because they mostly did what looks to me like "birthday party" gymnastics.

Are you sure this gym has a class with 3-year olds and the next level up is 7 & 8 year olds with experience? That’s a pretty huge gap. This doesn't sound right.

This doesn’t sound like a coach related decision. I would just call the gym explain the situation and ask for clarification. They may be sorting this out and are planning to get in touch with you and others as they work out these types of issues.

They are a brand new gym. I think they opened over the summer. So I imagine the weird age stuff is due to still getting their enrollment up.

I agree with calling the gym. Even if they are new I see no reason they cannot give you clarity on what they are doing now as far as age appropriate classes and if that policy is going to change with higher enrollment.

At the gym we go to, younger than 3 is parent and me classes only. 3 year olds have their own 3 year olds only classes. 4 and 5 year olds have "levels" and they go up as certain specific skills are gained, with classes for beginners on up. Kids 6 and up are in classes according to their skill level, again, beginner on up. So while skills matter, appropriate age grouping matters more with the very young ages.

I understand not wanting your 5 year old in class with all 3 year olds. 3 year old classes are akin to herding cats. I would suggest asking the gym about age appropriate classes rather than "higher level" classes.

^^^^ Yes. More about age-appropriate than skill appropriate. She needs to be with kids closer to her age. No harm in asking if she is really in the best class. Preschool classes are all about having fun, and are often taught by people who have zero gym experience.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

She has class this weekend, so I think I'll see how it goes and then maybe speak with the gym after that if need be.

I don't want to come off like I think my kid is some future Olympian or whatever! I just want her to be in a class that challenges her a little bit and is age appropriate in structure.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

She has class this weekend, so I think I'll see how it goes and then maybe speak with the gym after that if need be.

I don't want to come off like I think my kid is some future Olympian or whatever! I just want her to be in a class that challenges her a little bit and is age appropriate in structure.
Sounds like a good plan. You have a good outlook on this gym adventure.

I don't want to come off like I think my kid is some future Olympian or whatever!
I mentioned before that I don't think this has anything to do with that. You want your dd to be with a group of her peers. Kids that she might want to have a play date with. I don't think you need to mention skills. In my opinion if they can't find you a class with a significant % the same age, you might want to consider another gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back