Parents Beginning Competition Tips For Parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, this topic has been suggested many times before. I will begin. Firstly I did not aim this at level 4 parents specifically as many people at all levels in many countries will find the info useful. But, feel free to add any info you think someone might benefit from.

1.Be a positive parent to your child. Do not coach or critque, that is the coaches job.

2.Make sure your child is well slept and well fed.

3.Ask other parents about the whole cost, and then start saving ahead of time.

4.Make away meets FUN, share rooms, meals and the pool at a hotel

5.Try your comp hair ahead of time. (I learned that one the hard way)

6.After the comp, parise all the good bits, ignore the bad bits, and if there are tears, hand over the kleenex and a hug and remind them the next day that they need to get a "game face" for next time.

Now, it's your turn, feel free to add your take on being prepared as a parent!!!

1. Do not think of gymnastics as a way to live vicariously through your kid. This should be for them, not for you. There's certainly nothing bad about taking pride in your kid's accomplishments, and when this is the case, TELL THEM you're proud of them. But remember that this is about them, not about you.

2. This is sort of a corrolary of #1: let them have fun! Don't pressure them to do well. Above all, never ever ever under any circumstances let them think you're dissappointed with their performance as a gymnast. Kids work harder and become better gymnasts when they're enjoying the sport, and it is very easy to kill that enjoyment by pressuring them to do well.

I'd like some advice on how to handle a kid that is very hard on herself. She doesn't like to disappoint anyone ~ her coaches, her team, herself, us. I could use some tips on what to say if she doesn't do well in her first meet. We've already talked to her about how she's doing this for herself and she doesn't need to prove anything to us and we just want her to enjoy it and do her best, whatever that might be. Any advice in how to prepare for that after her first meet would be helpful!

Get to your meet site in plenty of time. I learned this the hard way. We found the gym and had plenty of time, so we went to get our dd something to eat. We got stuck in traffic. We were almost late getting back for stretch.

Have the gymnast go to the bathroom before they go onto the floor for stretch and don't give them too much too drink beforehand.

I'd like some advice on how to handle a kid that is very hard on herself. She doesn't like to disappoint anyone ~ her coaches, her team, herself, us. I could use some tips on what to say if she doesn't do well in her first meet. We've already talked to her about how she's doing this for herself and she doesn't need to prove anything to us and we just want her to enjoy it and do her best, whatever that might be. Any advice in how to prepare for that after her first meet would be helpful!

The only advice I would give is not to let her suck you in to her negativity -- be unconditionally positive and supportive.

Don't get caught up in the numbers game with the young ones. They won't really understand it yet anyway.

Don't bad mouth another kid's routine on the way home. Kids do repeat what they hear.

Do a last check of the gym bag BEFORE leaving home. Make a checklist if that helps. Can help avoid panic once you get to the meet!!!

Invest in some stadium seats---really can help save your back!!

Charge the camcorder the night before.

Don't freak over hairstyles. There are some great ones posted here, but it you can't get your dd's hair to look like the picture the world will not end(I tell myself that all the time!)

Most important is be proud at what your dd has already accomplished---all the hours of practice and skills learned. Think back to what she was doing this time last year and now look at her!!!

Do NOT use flash phototography

Check camera and batteries the night before and put it in the bag so you dont forget it (and film)

Keep extra hairspray, pony tail holders , and a brush on hand in case their hairstyle falls out during open stretch and warmups

Bring snacks since they wont be able to eat for quite a while

Focus on what what they improved upon

This doesn't apply to all, but make sure that you have an extra pair of contact lens and solution in her gym bag! Dd's contacts have popped out at meets before.

Make sure the gym bag has her floor music (optional level.)

Pack a healthy snack for after the meet while they wait for the scores.

The only advice I would give is not to let her suck you in to her negativity -- be unconditionally positive and supportive.

Geoffrey ~ I wouldn't necessarily say it's a negativity thing. She just pushes herself. I'll be aware of it and make sure she focuses on the positive side. Thanks!

My daughter is very hard on herself too. Make a mental note of the things she did well and tell her. Tell her your so proud of her no matter how poorly she does. Take her out for dinner or ice cream with teammates after the meet so the whole experience is enjoyable. Take a xanax. j/k

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back