WAG Being discouraged about no improvement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone! I'm an 18 years old girl an yes I'm still trying to learn gymnastics. I obviously don't want to get really far in the sport but I really love gymnastics and I love doing it so why not! But I get discouraged because since I'm old and everything it is really hard to get new moves. And I also don't know what would be the better way for me to improve! Like with traditional gymnastics I would get stuck with girls a lot younger than me and that's not very fun. Also most coaches aren't strong enough to spot me. So I found someone strong enough but since he's a cheer coach, he can only help me on floor and the technique isn't always right.. I'm really lost and I don't want to give up on something I truly love. What should I do?

Can you take an adult class? Also, improving your strength could help you learn stuff faster. Have realistic expectations, don't worry what others think of you, and try to relax and just have fun.

there is nothing you can do. it is what it is. make the best of it :)

Maybe just make sure you're doing lots of conditioning so when you're learning skills it will be easier to get them? Just keep at it, if there's an adult class that would be really helpful. If you're still enjoying it I wouldn't give up, just keep at it. You may not get the skills as quickly as the kids but I bet you'll be really proud of yourself for persevering when you do get a skill. :)

Started at 20 or 21. You can do it.

If you aren't strong, focus on that so it's not your limiting factor.

If he's strong, you can probably sucker him into spotting you on bars if you're not doing anything remotely advanced on bars. There are a lot of drills you can do without a spotter or using self spotted devices ( tying yourself to a bar with a rope or using a block ).

You are definitely not too old! I am in my 40s and learning new skills. It can take me a lot longer, I guess, but I am definitely still improving even at my ripe old age. If you can get to an adults class, there should be a coach who can spot adults. You can also do drills to help with technique. And you can work on your strength and flexibility. Don't give up if you really love it.

You will be improving much more than you think. Think about what you could do a year ago and now. Gymnastics is the kind of sport where progression are small and you can only really see how far you've come by looking back a bit. Massive leaps forward are rare!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back