Bela and His Umbrella...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay...anyone ready to translate that ridiculous banter from Bela?

I heard umbrella 10 times...confusion and misunderstanding...and something about the Argentinian judge.

Please enlighten me...:confused:

oh bela he makes me laugh. i dont really understand what he was trying to say with the umbrella thing...but he did, in so many words, say he didnt agree with the new scoring system. he thinks it is easier for people to cheat and show favortism, hence the mention of the judge. he also believes that going into finals "behind" china would be good for usa and motivate them to come out strong and hit their routines. hope this helped some!

He also said, if I understood him correctly ;), that the Argentinian judge gave Shawn an 8.8 on beam. That's the score he used to explain why he thought the new scoring system was wrong and could be manipulated.

I haven't checked to see if that's what she really got, but if she did, that would just be awful. That's why he was so fired up at the end of the interview, he was pretty mad about that.

He also said, if I understood him correctly ;), that the Argentinian judge gave Shawn an 8.8 on beam. That's the score he used to explain why he thought the new scoring system was wrong and could be manipulated.

I haven't checked to see if that's what she really got, but if she did, that would just be awful. That's why he was so fired up at the end of the interview, he was pretty mad about that.

It was the only 8.8. The rest of the scores were all around 9.2. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

I was rolling on the floor when Bela was talking - he really made little to no sense - although I got what he was saying. He sounds like he wants to start a fight:p

And the look on Bob Costas' face while interviewing Bela was priceless.

He was completely mystified as to what Bela was trying to say to him.

He made a valiant effort trying to clarify what Bela was saying!

Too funny...:laughing:

If I remember correctly, the umbrella thing was about why the U.S. would want to finish first in qualifiers. It would have been nice to have a protective 'cushion', or in Bela's case, umbrella, for the psyche of the US gymnasts.

The funniest part about the last completely incoherent thing he said about umbrellas was Bob's answer. "Wow." It was exactly how I react to kids in my preschool class when I have no idea what they just said.

Also, I was laughing at how eager Bela was to talk. He looked like he was about to fall out of his chair while Bob finished the question and then once again would just take the conversation in a completely unintended direction, leaving Bob looking bewildered. George Bush totally did similar things early (as well as displaying puzzling levels of amusement over questions concerning topics like genocide) so I had to feel for the guy. Anyway when Bela was saying they would miss Chellsie's scores on beam and floor, Bob interrupted to clarify "- Chellsie Memmel" and Bela is all "Chellsie Memmel. Obviously." That was priceless. Poor Bob trying to keep those interviews on track.

The funniest part about the last completely incoherent thing he said about umbrellas was Bob's answer. "Wow." It was exactly how I react to kids in my preschool class when I have no idea what they just said.

Also, I was laughing at how eager Bela was to talk. He looked like he was about to fall out of his chair while Bob finished the question and then once again would just take the conversation in a completely unintended direction, leaving Bob looking bewildered. George Bush totally did similar things early (as well as displaying puzzling levels of amusement over questions concerning topics like genocide) so I had to feel for the guy. Anyway when Bela was saying they would miss Chellsie's scores on beam and floor, Bob interrupted to clarify "- Chellsie Memmel" and Bela is all "Chellsie Memmel. Obviously." That was priceless. Poor Bob trying to keep those interviews on track.

I too had to giggle at the "Chelsie Memmel. Obviously." comment. I'll bet he was trying really hard not to respond with a DUH!

I liked that he called out the Argentinian judge, but I'm not totally sure if that was the right time to address it.

At the end of the day, I'm sure our girls will be fine.

GO USA!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back