WAG Bending arms(BHS)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been on my BHS for at least 6 months, and I've been doing it on my own because my coaches say Im too tall for them to help me. I am 5'7. I can attach a video, but when I do it, my formation clearly isn't good, my arms keep bending and then I land terribly. I hd my BHS, but now I'm Scared of even doing it right, Im scared I'll hurt myself again. Please, any advice anyone? Its more of a video for my progress, but anything advice works.

There are a lot of possible causes, the video would be really helpful to allow us to pinpoint them.

I was thinking that you were doing them in the gym under the supervision of a coach. I thought you meant they wouldn’t spot you but we’re teaching you.

Throwing a back handspring at home, like this without a coach supervising us extremely dangerous.

The technique has a lot of errors, which are likely causing stress in your joints, which can lead to long term injures. But you are also really at risk of a severe injury.

Have your coaches worked on this skill with you at all or has it just been at home.

I was thinking that you were doing them in the gym under the supervision of a coach. I thought you meant they wouldn’t spot you but we’re teaching you.

Throwing a back handspring at home, like this without a coach supervising us extremely dangerous.

The technique has a lot of errors, which are likely causing stress in your joints, which can lead to long term injures. But you are also really at risk of a severe injury.

Have your coaches worked on this skill with you at all or has it just been at home.
Yes, My coaches at gymnastics also watch me at gymnastics practise. But they say there so much they can do since the are smaller than me. My mom is also a coach and a doctor. She sits on the couch behind me while I do my flips, But the things she tries to explain to me is no help. But she mainly sits behind me to protect me from hurting myself. My mom tries to spot me but she can only get her arm around one of my legs

Your set up and technique is not safe at all. My number one piece of advice is to stop tumbling at home on your mattress. Seriously. You are asking for an injury. Your video says you don't want to be afraid, but watching it terrified me. You should be afraid. You are not ready to be attempting this skill on your own. I am frankly very worried that your coaches are just watching you chuck this. That is lazy and I would say dangerous coaching.

Does your gym have a boulder you could practice jumping over and really going through that handstand? That can be a great tool when spotting is difficult.

Beyond that I would go back to basics. Strengthen your handstands. Master a back limber. You can start from bridge with your feet elevated, but work to find that nice vertical handstand before snapping down to a tight hollow push up. Then do it from standing with the back bend entry. They can also be done on a trampoline (preferably at your gym). I would also practice a nice tight jump back into stacked mats/resi pit. If you have strong basics and tight shapes, you will be spottable on a trampoline or resi surface even if your coach is smaller than you.

This video has a lot of great ideas in it.

Again, it is my professional opinion that you are not ready to be attempting this skill on your own. Please master all of the appropriate drills and progressions.

At the gym ... a boulder, an octagon, a pac man (aka handspring machine) ... each of these could help work on the shaping needed, especially if your gym has them in multiple sizes.

And as others have said, a good coach can spot you even if they are smaller.
I am 5'2 to 5'2.75 depending on the day. I used to spot a girl who was 5'9 on back handsprings, so I know it is possible.
Or two can work together to do a double spot you until you are closer.

Please, please stop doing those at home. You are going to hurt yourself. A good coach can spot you even if they’re smaller than you. There are also a lot of safe ways you can work a bhs by yourself *in the gym*.
I would also add - A good (smaller) coach will also be willing to spot you when you are physically ready and have mastered the progressions.

And as others have said, a good coach can spot you even if they are smaller.
I am 5'2 to 5'2.75 depending on the day. I used to spot a girl who was 5'9 on back handsprings, so I know it is possible.
Or two can work together to do a double spot you until you are closer.
So then, it is possible. Thank you so much for letting me know

Please, please stop doing those at home. You are going to hurt yourself. A good coach can spot you even if they’re smaller than you. There are also a lot of safe ways you can work a bhs by yourself *in the gym*.
Thank you so much. And Yes, my mental block is gone, so I'm not scared to do it. But sometimes I hurt myself. Now I know its not safe. I will now practice in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back