WAG Bent elbows on BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aspiringymnastmom

Proud Parent
My daughter is a 2nd year level 3. We moved gyms for her second year of L3. She scores very well and typically comes in 1st 3 for Vault, Beam and Bars. However, she still struggles with BHS. The rest of her floor is very clean, but she bends her elbows on her BHS EVERY TIME! I think the old gym taught her really bad technique that is really hard to fix.She scores 9-9.2 range on the floor, and I guess all her deductions come from the BHS.

So
1. Should I be worried? Doing more? The BHS is so foundational. How will she be able to do BHSBHS is L4?
2. One of her coaches mentioned shoulder strength as a possible culprit. What can we do at home to strengthen her shoulders?

Thanks!

Level 3?

Shes a baby, and just learning. Let the coaches coach. If they do what you are paying them to do - she will be just fine.

Well, she might not be a young level 3. :) But I do agree OP that you need to let the coaches coach... they should be bringing her back to basics and drills in order to improve her block, and shape, etc. My DD was so eager to learn that BHS that she developed some bad habits while at open gym in just a session or two and it took some time for her to build proper muscle memory and form (we even did a couple of privates just to reinforce the form) It is a pretty important foundational skill, so I would hope that your coaches are working on it with her. I am not a coach - just a fellow gym parent, but if your kiddo can do solid handstands, I wouldn't think the issue is shoulder strength but instead form/block related. How are her vaults?

I remember having a lot of questions about this sport and trying to understand everything when my DD was placed on the JO path-- which led me to this site. I think this is a great question to ask here and maybe if you are able to walk away with a bit of knowledge you will be better prepared to inquire with the coaches about this or other issues. I think that DD's coach appreciates the fact that I have some understanding of things when we talk about this sport. I still don't know much LOL (there is just SO MUCH hahaha), but I am always trying to learn more and understand better. I think CB helps us be "coachable parents". ;)

Well, she might not be a young level 3. :)

Oh I totally understand that - I should've been more clear. (I was a 13 Y/O level 4... with a froggy leg backhandspring - but I too eventually "got it"...)

I simply meant a baby to the sport - level three is just the starting blocks. She has so much time to grow and get her arms straight in her backhandspring!
Everyone who has walked the road know that the foundations often take time. That is more what I meant.

Oh I totally understand that - I should've been more clear. (I was a 13 Y/O level 4... with a froggy leg backhandspring - but I too eventually "got it"...)

I simply meant a baby to the sport - level three is just the starting blocks. She has so much time to grow and get her arms straight in her backhandspring!
Everyone who has walked the road know that the foundations often take time. That is more what I meant.

Gotcha @tucktwisttumble ;) That makes sense! It is REALLY hard to unlearn poor form though... that muscle memory thing is bugger. 2nd year level 3, I would hope they would have focused on fixing form to this point - given the BHS-BHS combo in level 4...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back