Bent knees at takeoff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Marino

Coach
Judge
Hi people,

I have a question about "bent knees at takeoff". My question is; should coaches teach gymnasts from the start to have slightly bent knees at takeoff (ex. takeoff on a springboard).. or they should jump onto the springboard with straight legs?

Note: At my gym I teach my gymnasts to jump onto the springboard with straight legs, because I found that telling them to bend their knees slightly usually results with them stopping and not utilizing the springboard. As the gymnast gets more comfortable with the springboard, I can see they naturally start bending their knees slightly as they should. This method seems to work for me when teaching, but I would like to know if other gyms do the same or not? and why? (perhaps I need to change my methods).

anyone?

Peter

I would say straight. The knees will bend reflexively on a springboard or spring floor regardless and then extend extremely quickly. This ALWAYS happens. If you don't believe it, slow mo some video.

I tried playing around with hitting a board or floor with a slight bend with the idea of extending the hip but it always seemed to be "slower".

I always tell kids to think about punching through the board -- that always seems to work. It causes them to contact with slightly bent knees and extend as they punch.

that's exactly the same cue I was using Geoffrey.

WTH, you're in San Jose now?

I always tell kids to think about punching through the board -- that always seems to work. It causes them to contact with slightly bent knees and extend as they punch.

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and soak up that sun Geoff and let us all know when you go fishing.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back