WAG Bent legs help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
My dd always seems to have bent legs on a lot of her skills, the coach hasn't said anything to me about it, but it is very obvious something is amiss when she does her skills, she is always reminded to straighten her legs on the bars and other skills, my daughter very slim, no fat on her at all, she has what she calls Knobbly Knees.

My daughter has told me that she has her first competition in August and she wants to do some of what she calls "the fun skills" like back walkover which she can do but her knees are bent and a straddle undershoot dismount, she has bent legs doing that skill as well, but daughter is pretty flexible, has her pancake stretch flat, can touch her nose to knees doing a pike stretch, has got a left log splts and is really close to her right leg splits and close to her middle splits. What ever skills she chooses is between my daughter and the coach by my daughter is saying she can chose the skills, like squat on bars instead of straddle undershoot dismount (she can do squat on bars really well) and backwards roll into a pike stand instead of back walkover (she can do a backward roll into a pike with nice form and her legs seek ok to my untrained eye), but like I said she is aiming for what she calls the fun skills instead of the solid ones, but like I said that part has nothing to do with me it is between herself and the coach

The reason I have been able to see more closely my daughters bent legs in the gym is we recently had open viewing and could watch the entire class from a balcony overlooking the gym, I also got some videos as well as we only have open viewing every 6 months and the videos are for my daughter to watch when she is older.

Is bent legs a common problem caused by flexibility or something else? I am more than happy to provide videos if need be but not on the open forum. If it helps my daughters group has only been training since mid April this year and they are training 3 days a week.

I think its harder than people thing. And very common. To straighten them while standing or sitting is one thing. But to have the mind/ body awareness to straighten them while in motion, let alone upside down, is hard. Especially for young kids who often do not have the body awareness that older kids and adults do. Some of it is also strength and active flexibility. It will come with time.

That sounds like my oldest DD. she turned 10 this week and is L4. I always say she has baby giraffe legs! Long skinny legs knobby knees and all over the place. I keep waiting for the day she figures out how to lengthen her legs and point her toes! I swear her scores would go up!

Thanks for the reassurance that this is a common problem, hopefully as she continues to train this will improve over time. My daughter has long arms and legs and a shorter body even though she is quite short for her age (one of the shortest in her school class). My daughter is 8 (nearly 9), is she still considered young enough not to have the body awareness the straighten her legs?

That sounds like my oldest DD. she turned 10 this week and is L4. I always say she has baby giraffe legs! Long skinny legs knobby knees and all over the place. I keep waiting for the day she figures out how to lengthen her legs and point her toes! I swear her scores would go up!

Sounds like my daughter, she is all over the place with her legs (and her arms as well), very leggy for a short little girl lol

Let the coach, coach. The bent legs are the coaches problem. She is busy learning a lot right now. Fine tuning will come.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back