WAG Best Grips for beginners?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,
I am a rec kid who has been having a hard time with bars-- because I keep getting rips. I've tried tapping them up, leaving them alone to see if my hands will toughen up, and plain just training through them! My mom (who was a gymnast) said that it might be time for me to get grips. Do you think I should invest in a pair, or should I wait till I am a higher level? And if I should get some, what brands/types do you recommend?

I am a old level 4 as far as skills go.
Thanks in advance!

DD uses Hot Shots by US Glove. They break in very quick. She didn't start using them until level 7. She gets more rips since getting grips than before so I don't know that they will really help that aspect. She rarely had a rip before and now she has rips on her palms, wrists, fingers.

Here they are...

Hot Shot Buckle

Hot Shot Velcro

Last edited:
We went through the process of getting the first set of grips recently, and Hotshots are the ones my daughter now has too. The HC recommended buckles over velcro as the velcro will go well for some months then start to fail. The buckles will keep going. They're harder to do up, but I suppose with time and practice, the buckle ones will go on quickly too. :)

If you're not sure what type of grips to get, why not ask your coach? They'll know what's best for you. For example, my daughter's coach said it was important for her to have grips with dowels, not the ones without.

Thanks Leotardmakermum. it probably wouldn't be a bad idea! I kind of mentioned the idea to her, and she didnt give me any advice- however, I go to gym tomorrow, so I'll ask then...

I found them online, But thanks! Something I forgot to post in the original, was if buckle or Velcro were better...

buckle. and they can be basic grips also. US Glove makes a hot shot grip without the dowel. you must specify when you order.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back