Parents Best team messaging app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdoc

Proud Parent
Does anyone use a group messaging app for their team? In the past we just made a group text for the parents of each level, but now we have some levels with too many to do that. We use it to arrange dinner after a meet, group outings, and updates on meets (session running over, where to park, etc).

We also use Remind.
Since it is designed for teachers, you have to sign up to get the messages for your "class" so you could do classes by level and entire team.
HC has it broken into separate classes:
the whole (YMCA and Middle School / High School) team
the YMCA team
the Middle School Team
the High School team
the "Nationals" girls
the girls trying out for team

Each one has a different code, so if a parent doesn't sign up, they will miss something.

I don't know if just anyone can send a message out to everyone though. HC sends all the messages for ours.

Our gym used "TeamSnap" our first season, but then switched this past season to "TeamApp" -- both seemed fine as far as I'm concerned.

We have used TeamSnap for a few years now. We (booster club) pay for it and it's been easier. Once parents accept their emailed invitation, they can get in and change their own contact information. I have found that useful because it places the responsibility on them to update it : ) You can select if you want to send messages (text and or email) to everyone or select levels, include coaches/don't include. You can also use it for payment information but we don't use that feature. We also use it as a place to put team information (meet schedule, meeting notes, budget information, etc) that way the information is there if parents want it.

As a parent I hate to have special apps for the kids different activities.

Could you make multiple groups and still get them all on a text?

Or otherwise I would quiz the parents and find out what apps they currently have. Around here the schools/teachers tend to go with remind. So that is what I would go with or a Facebook Group.

Our school uses Remind. I find it frustratingly clunky. I would prefer a group text or e-mail. Our gym uses e-mail for communication and Sign Up Genius for sign-ups. The combination works well and does not require anyone to install a specialized app, use social media, or check a website.

Those team messaging apps must be an American thing - they are not used here at all and I have never heard of any of them.

Almost everyone around here has WhatsApp. People use it instead of text messages, everyone form kids to grannies. We have WhatsApp groups for the parents, for the gymnasts, for the club board, for the coaches.. And of course mixed groups too. But I guess that WhatsApp is not overly popular outside the Europe?

Schools also have a nationwide software for daily communication with the children's homes. It's called Wilma and it's used from first grade to high school. The teachers put the homework there, inform parents about tests, special days, field trips etc and report the child's absences and behavior on the class. And the parents can see their child's schedules and test results there. It's used in every school here. When I was a kid, we only had a notebook in our bags that the parents and teachers could write notes to each others. I feel old remembering that :D

Our school uses Remind. I find it frustratingly clunky. I would prefer a group text or e-mail. Our gym uses e-mail for communication and Sign Up Genius for sign-ups. The combination works well and does not require anyone to install a specialized app, use social media, or check a website.
For Remind, I haven't installed an app (I have a "dumbphone," so no apps) or had to go to a special website. I texted a code to join each of the groups. I get the messages to my phone via text and I also have them sent to my email - so I can check them on my computer if my phone cant read it (and to see attachments / click on links to things).
We use SignUp.com for sign ups. Facebook group is not for anything pressing (but is an additional resource for those who want in for things like meet session schedule and special activities we know about in advance).

As a parent I hate to have special apps for the kids different activities.

Could you make multiple groups and still get them all on a text?

Or otherwise I would quiz the parents and find out what apps they currently have. Around here the schools/teachers tend to go with remind. So that is what I would go with or a Facebook Group.

For TeamSnap you don’t have to access the app (or even download it) once you have accepted the invite. Messages come to either your email or text. It’s way more convenient for the people posting the information and sending the messages. It’s also a nice spot for everyone to find useful information so they don’t have to save their texts and emails if they choose to log in to the website or app. I prefer TeamSnap just because my boys’ other activities (soccer and scouts) use it as well so I don’t have separate spots to go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back