"Better to have a crippled true athlete than a coward loser" OMG WHAT?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am sooo angry at this guy on youtube! Do you remember when at worlds Nastia missed her footing on her beam dismount and only did a back somy? Well all these people were saying things like she was a coward etc etc which I don't understand, so I wrote that it was better to do an easier skill than to risk paralysing yourself.

And this is what some guy wrote back: "If she was a true champ she would have taken the risk. Better to have a crippled true athlete than a coward loser."

Apologies if whoever wrote that happens to be on here, but sorry, I think you are out of your mind.

What do you all think?

I hope the guy doesn't have kids and never does. That is the type of person they make those cheesy lifetime movies about. Very warped thinking.

I have noticed that youtube is full of trolls who comment just to incite arguments. They are best ignored and not mentioned, they are looking for attention.

While the "crippled" thing is a little extreme and sick...

the freak out on that dismount will go down in history as a truly wimpy moment in gymnastics. I did lose a lot of respect for her after that incident. If she really wasn't ready to compete, she shouldn't have been out there on the floor.

And part of the issue is that Nastia was never going to be "paralyzed" by doing that dismount. Come on...it's one of the easiest dismounts being done by elite gymnasts today. A messed up ankle or knee maybe..but paralyzed???? No.

Last edited:
While the "crippled" thing is a little extreme and sick...

the freak out on that dismount will go down in history as a truly wimpy moment in gymnastics. I did lose a lot of respect for her after that incident. If she really wasn't ready to compete, she shouldn't have been out there on the floor.

And part of the issue is that Nastia was never going to be "paralyzed" by doing that dismount. Come on...it's one of the easiest dismounts being done by elite gymnasts today. A messed up ankle or knee maybe..but paralyzed???? No.

Her foot slipped off the side of the beam on the takeoff. If she tried to do a double back she would not have enough power, and could have landed on her neck. I think she was smart to make a split-second decision and not go for the dismount off of one foot twisted on the beam.

Oy!!! I think there is no point in arguing with people that dont actively use their brain before they speak. And if someone just says that type of thing just to start things then they are quite the loser. The only person qualified to make the judgement to "throw" a skill in that situation is the person actually doing it and not someone else. I think they would KNOW better than anyone else if they think they could do it.JMHO

Her foot slipped off the side of the beam on the takeoff. If she tried to do a double back she would not have enough power, and could have landed on her neck. I think she was smart to make a split-second decision and not go for the dismount off of one foot twisted on the beam.

I agree. It surprises me how many upper level gymnasts will continue through a skill when something goes wrong and they know they won't make it around. Many people say that the gymnast has already set their mind to the skill and that they're not going to bail out in the middle of it; however I disagree. As a level 10 gymnast I was able to control myself and bail out if I knew it wouldn't end pretty--I would think that elite gymnasts would have the same ability. I was glad to see that she did the right thing and "played it safe" instead of risking injury.

While the guy who posted on YouTube was trying to be a jerk, and was successful...

Nastia's dismount is a 2 1/2...which is a lot different than a double back. If she was really going for the dismount, she would have initiated some sort of twist. It was clear she was bailing on it before her feet ever hit the beam.

Either way, there have been many many gymnasts who miss a foot and still make a double back to their feet. There have been gymnasts who stood up 2 1/2s from a far worse roundoff...otherwise this discussion wouldn't be happening.

It was what it was. She didn't deserve to be hurt, but that was a very obvious "give up" moment. Sadly, the problem was probably that she shouldn't have been out there at the time after being injured.

I don't really bother to read or participate in youtube comments anymore. It's apparent that most people participating have little to no ability to behave reasonably when they don't have to maintain a consistent personality from comment to comment and have an endless amount of things to comment on and people to "poke". Also a lot of people who bother to sign in and comment are approximately 12. I know a lot of mature 12 year olds, but I also know some who, given the opportunity to participate in something like Youtube comments, get a little ahead of themselves.

There's a pretty funny comic about youtube comments I'm not going to link to because it has some strong language and I don't want anyone to accidentally scroll over it, but if you google youtube comments and hit "images" it's the first hit.

I didn't realize how mean some people were until someone posted a nasty comment on my DD's Youtube video of one of her first meets. She made a comment about how she sort sucked on everything! One comment I completly deleted (FYI you can do that you know) and then when I clicked onto HER name, I realized she was just a young girl. So, I responded lightly to the other comment, but tried to be the adult, LOL

I have a couple things in youtube, not many, but just for some family members to see what my kids are up too. Some are of DD, a couple are of my sons, nothing big, not too many. But, now you realize just how public these places are and just how insensitive & mean people think they can be behind a keyboard. I myself didn't realize that how far it reached out until a couple parents at the gym told me they watched my DD's youtube to see what they were in for when their DD's join the team.

I am uncomfortable when I find my girls "accidentally" on Youtube, I do not post videos ever, but every now and again I get glimpses of my girls. Videos from meets, from camps and even montages made by other people. Not that my girls are the focus of these videos, but they are there in the background, doing gym, dancing, warming up and even training.

Youtube, and other video hosting sites, put all our lives online to be seen whether we like it or not. No matter how careful we are our children are always out there for the world to see. Unless we lock them in a cupboard, oh by the way that's illegal.:D

As a result of this people feel free to ,relatively anonymously, say whatever they want about what they see, it is a world of free speech and some people just go crazy.

Last edited:
You can also disable comments on youtube videos that you post. Might be a good idea if you post videos of your child and don't want the "your kid sucks at gymnastics" comments.

I agree. It surprises me how many upper level gymnasts will continue through a skill when something goes wrong and they know they won't make it around. Many people say that the gymnast has already set their mind to the skill and that they're not going to bail out in the middle of it; however I disagree. As a level 10 gymnast I was able to control myself and bail out if I knew it wouldn't end pretty--I would think that elite gymnasts would have the same ability. I was glad to see that she did the right thing and "played it safe" instead of risking injury.
I agree. this is thew first i heard of this but on saturday at practice i was doing the lst tumbling pas in my routine. i m only in level 6 sot it was round off back handspring back tuck. i had no power and had no set so i didnt do it. especially if you are dpoing a double back, ESPECIALLY off the beam, dont just throw it, getting a bad score is better than injuring yourself

While the guy who posted on YouTube was trying to be a jerk, and was successful...

Nastia's dismount is a 2 1/2...which is a lot different than a double back. If she was really going for the dismount, she would have initiated some sort of twist. It was clear she was bailing on it before her feet ever hit the beam.

Either way, there have been many many gymnasts who miss a foot and still make a double back to their feet. There have been gymnasts who stood up 2 1/2s from a far worse roundoff...otherwise this discussion wouldn't be happening.

It was what it was. She didn't deserve to be hurt, but that was a very obvious "give up" moment. Sadly, the problem was probably that she shouldn't have been out there at the time after being injured.

Funny how everytime I find you in this type of forum, you seem to be always picking a fight.... I think Nastia was right in giving it up and going for the easier move. We can speculate all we want but we don't know what was going through her head. She could have gotten scared, she could have known that she wouldn't be able to land it safetly, whatever! But she is the gymnast so if she is going to opt to be safer, us as fans should just let it rest, because again we don't know what she was thinking. And please, if I had been smart and opted to play safe and I wouldn't be out until December!

I am sooo angry at this guy on youtube! Do you remember when at worlds Nastia missed her footing on her beam dismount and only did a back somy? Well all these people were saying things like she was a coward etc etc which I don't understand, so I wrote that it was better to do an easier skill than to risk paralysing yourself.

And this is what some guy wrote back: "If she was a true champ she would have taken the risk. Better to have a crippled true athlete than a coward loser."

Apologies if whoever wrote that happens to be on here, but sorry, I think you are out of your mind.

What do you all think?

WHAAAAAAT??? Gee, it was smart- better get one bad score at one meet then not being able to compete at all...

those people have the IQ of a cucumber.:) sorry cucumber...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back