Parents BHS arm help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MommaW

Proud Parent
I know this question has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my daughters standing BHS. She has had her BHS for over 2 years now and while it has improved in a lot of ways she still struggles with bent arms. We’ve done drills after drills to correct it and it never seems to get any better. If you could take a look at her video and let me know if you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated! She is getting so frustrated that this is the same correction she gets over and over and is trying her best to block off better. Her running is much better although it does tend to bend a little by the 3rd in her series.

Set up a private with a qualified gymnastics coach, preferably hers or at the very least someone at her gym that her current coach is OK with. Don’t work on it at home.

She does a weekly private with her coach and I just haven’t seen a lot of improvement lately in this aspect. It’s almost like the more she is trying the worse it’s getting.

This right here is the problem, She lifts her head up, drops her chest forward and tips up on her toes. She should being leaning backwards and keep her chest up and head aligned with her body. (shouldl look much more like she is sitting in a chair.)
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.16.57 PM.png

The starting position leads to wrong position in the air and also when her hands land, thus why she can't stop bending her arms. Here is an idea of what the proper position should look like.
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.26.41 PM.png

This video really simply breaks down the proper positioning for a backhandspring. Watch it then watch your dd's video in a slower speed (you can change the video speed on youtube.) You will see the differences that lead to her bent arms pretty clearly. This is often why just telling a kid not to bend their arms doesn't work. The corrections need to come before the arms get to the ground.

The starting position leads to wrong position in the air and also when her hands land, thus why she can't stop bending her arms. Here is an idea of what the proper position should look like.
View attachment 7302
This video really simply breaks down the proper positioning for a backhandspring. Watch it then watch your dd's video in a slower speed (you can change the video speed on youtube.) You will see the differences that lead to her bent arms pretty clearly. This is often why just telling a kid not to bend their arms doesn't work. The corrections need to come before the arms get to the ground.

Thank you!!! This is what I was wondering! Now the question is how does she correct something she has been doing wrong for 2+ years? What are good drills etc?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back