WAG BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom41

Proud Parent
Would love any advice you have to help my girl square her BHS on beam!! She's been working in consistently over 2 years and can land it... scored 8's or low 9's on beam last year Level 7. But she consistently turns her fingers on the beam the same direction which turns her shoulders and upper body that way as well so kind of jumps back sideways. Then magically straightens up again and lands it. Her coach has been great trying different things to fix it. Tried to switch her right hand in front of the left on the beam in case that would force her body to square but then she couldn't land it at all (after months of trying). She practices on a line on the floor. Does BWO on the beam fine so practices those repeatedly to try and get some muscle memory for the proper hands and going straight back. None of it has helped. She's getting crazy frustrated. Wants to compete Level 8 this winter but can't practice the BHS-BHS until she fixes the 1st.

I could have written your post. Mine also struggles with her BHS on beam. It's beautiful on floor (straight arms, straight legs, pointed toes, nice split in her step out), but something is not right on beam. In the case of my DD, I think it could be a shoulder/flexibility issue mixed in with a little fear. Coaches tried to get my DD to switch her lead hand so that it was opposite of her lead leg (does that make sense?), but my DD says she is physically unable to get her hands lined up on the beam if she leads with the opposite hand. As a result, she had gone back to leading with the same side hand as leg. It is my understanding this makes it more difficult to stay square. She also bends her arms on beam, which she absolutely does not do when her hands are spaced shoulder width apart on floor. Possibly this is also related to her shoulder flexibility? Who knows...

In any event, I agree it is super frustrating. Thankfully my DD's gym will allow her to compete L8 this year with a BWO-BHS (and take the deduction); although she will obviously need to fix the BHS if she wants to progress further (assuming that's physically possible).

I am leaving it up to her coaches though, as this definitely falls well outside of my area of expertise!! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Good luck to your DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back