WAG Big career changes, but feeling great!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
Wow.

I'm still in disbelief about how things have been going for me lately. I know I haven't been around that much lately, but there have been big changes in my life, and I am so happy.

To give a bit of a background to those of you who don't know me that well, my roots are in parkour. I began training parkour seriously in 2007, and I ended up requiring a safer environment to learn the more advanced flips, tricks, jumps, etc. safely, so I found a local gym that had an open gym program. It was once a week every Friday, and I used every moment of that open gym to learn more. I looked at videos of how to spot back tucks and other skills so I could spot my friends during the learning process, and as a result, I got offered a job coaching recreational gymnastics at this gym in 2009. I did that for five years, and found that I craved far more, and my developing love for the job drove me to ask my boss to establish a team of my own at our team-less gym. He approved it and I began coaching competitively in 2014. After getting two athletes to Level 6 in three years, and four state champions later, I realized that even with my success, there was no future at my current gym.

To be honest, I always knew I wouldn't stay at this gym; it was too small and the management was really inferior. I was alone, because I was the only truly ambitious and serious person in the gym. Every other employee worked there as a part time job, or to keep some small foot in the gymnastics world. My ambitions are far greater. I couldn't stay there, otherwise my career would die a slow, gradual death in a stagnant pool of mediocrity.

After a lot of internal debate and deep reflection and thought, I decided to move to a gym that had been recruiting me for two years. We had multiple meetings and they have been so fantastic. I am so incredibly grateful. I now have so many things I was not afforded at my other job, the greatest of which are the wonderful, caring, and devoted gym owners. They welcomed me with open arms immediately, and with all the other coaches, I feel an immediate bond. We are a unified family. I finally don't feel alone, and I see the other coaches and teachers are open minded individuals who genuinely enjoy teaching children.

I was brought on board specifically to completely reform and restructure the team program. The owners noticed my kids at meets, and liked the way they looked, as well as how I interacted with my girls. They have pursued me for two years, and I finally saw that they needed me to help their program, and wanted me to become a part of their gym family. I was flattered, and I ultimately realized this was my future.

As much as I knew I had to make this move, I was horribly confused about the decision; it ultimately meant furthering my career vs. leaving behind all of my kids that I had worked with for so long. Deep down, I knew what I had to do, but the decision to leave my athletes was painful on an unreal level. I had invested so much of myself into these girls, and they had come so far, and I was proud of myself for that, but at the same time, I felt like I was betraying them. I held a meeting with all the parents and kids, and there were a lot of tears, but I did end up getting some congratulations from the parents on my career choice. The girls, however, just looked very sad and hurt. The next practice I described in detail how I felt about them and why I was doing what I was doing. They understood, but it didn't make it any easier. I got a lot of hugs on the last day, and I cherished each one. They really squeezed me hard. Tears everywhere. UGH! :(

Reflecting on this moment, though… the last practice… it really made me thankful; I realized the impact I made on these girls' lives, and that they loved me. It was actually this specific moment that helped me realize that I was truly making the right choice! I cannot stay static! I have to share the knowledge I have with more gymnasts in a stronger program/location! I am going to coach elite athletes, and now I am much better positioned to do that. I am completely backed by an incredibly strong gym staff who are specifically allowing me to lead the radical reformation of their team program! The owners have also confirmed they are moving to a new and much larger location within at least two years time. It is time to truly realize my potential.

Currently, not a day goes by that I don't think about my original girls. The Aero Flyers were my babies! I poured myself into them, and I learned so much. Now, though, it is time to evolve and take everything I have learned and apply it to this program in desperate need of reformation. Now a month in, and I have already observed substantial results. Many of the girls are drinking up the more technical, detail oriented coaching style I use, and I have even heard, "I like conditioning now!" a couple times! I am ecstatic! My new project is already producing fruit.

This whole post sounded like one huge brag, and I know it was really long winded, and I apologize, but I am so excited about my future and I wanted to share it with all of you. I also would like to thank every single one of you, because ChalkBucket has proven to be my secret weapon; it has allowed me to see the experiences of a thousand parents, it has given me the knowledge of a thousand coaches, and it has provided me with the level of "been there done that" of a veteran coach in the sport. Thank you so much to my ChalkBucket family.

I will not stop until I have achieved my goal. I hope I can continue providing my experiences and knowledge to all of you, as you have done just the same for me.

Thank you, so much.

That is a great change! Every change will be hard, but maybe some girls will switch to your new gym (some girls will follow the coaches). Anyways, you have set the girls up for a good future. In team, they learn about work ethic and things like that. They will always remember their coach who taught all of them that!

Congratulations! I'm surprised that some of the families didn't want to follow you to the new gym. It happens all the time around here when a coach leaves, even if the coach in no way encourages it or asks for them to come.
It sounds like it was the right choice for you. I know it was hard but you will continue to grow professionally and be a mentor for a whole new group of gymnasts!

Aero, it's been such an honor to follow your journey! I remember you first post asking about starting an Xcel program (have I really been on CB that long? lol), your hair buns post :) , the report of your first meet, the following successes. I've always admired your passion and the dedication to your girls, I wish more coaches were like you.
I can't imagine how hard it was for you to leave, but I'm sure it was the right decision. You need to follow your dreams, and with your passion I'm sure we'll see many great things from you. Wouldn't be surprised to see you coaching an Olympic team member one day! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

I have no doubt you will someday coach at the elite level... you have the Drive and passion for continuous learning which are so critical to grow as a coach...I'm sad for the Aero girls but thrilled for you! Can't wait to see what you're up to in the future!

You did the right thing. Congratulations!

The ripples of positive impact for your athletes, for yourself, and for the gymnastics community can only reach so far in a small pond. Bigger ponds are where you need to be next.

Stay ambitious, humble, empathetic, and optimistic! :)

Congratulations! The new gym must be thrilled to have you, what a great opportunity for all involved! I'm sure it was hard to leave your previous group of girls, you invested so much in them, but sometimes change is the right thing. Are you close enough that any of them are able to join you at the new gym? (Normally I wouldn't advocate for that, but I know the team isn't a top priority at your previous gym).
The new gym will provide plenty of opportunities to engage with new kids and grow alongside them, and so nice to have supportive gym owners in the mix too. I'm sure you will do great things and am anxious to hear about your continuing journey.

I can "hear" the passion in your post! Very exciting to think of your future! It is always difficult to leave behind a "good thing", even if you know you're headed towards a "great thing". It sounds like you made an impact on your first group of gymnasts, and no doubt you'll continue to have an impact on those you meet in the future. Best wishes to you!

All right, it's about time I updated this post! I've been slacking. :oops:

So, very unfortunately, none of my previous girls followed me to the new gym. It was a minimum of a half hour drive for some of them, on a notoriously traffic-heavy road. Even so, it would be about a 40 minute commute at maximum for those families, and from what I regularly read on here about families dedicated to driving much further, it was just hard for me to "accept" that. But I had to, because it was their decision. Some of the girls quit entirely, but are doing other sports. Some of them are at other gyms. In fact, I saw two of my former girls at meets already this season. One was a pre-teamer, and the other was an Xcel Silver, who are now Level 3 and Level 4 at their new gyms, respectively. I got very warm, happy greetings from both, including a leaping suction cup hug from the little Level 3. :) I had to explain to her new coach who I was, hahaha! I'm glad everything is on good terms, but man, I still miss them every day, especially my two Level 6s who put blood, sweat, and tears into everything they did with me; those girls changed me for the better. I still chat with them and their parents regularly, and I'm so grateful for that.

I have changed things at the new gym. I am regularly consulted on many different matters, and I hold coach meetings. I feel very important, haha. The JO girls look a lot different, physically and form-wise. My conditioning plans have turned them into more muscular and capable athletes, and their form and presentation is much improved. I am pleased with their work thus far, but it has to continue! I also help out with the Xcel team, and it is a bit weird to be a secondary coach for Xcel girls, especially since Xcel is how I first started as a competitive coach, but being in charge of a JO program is what I ultimately wanted anyway. That being said, my expectations are high, and a few girls have left the gym because it was "too hard." I was worried initially that my bosses might not like that particular side effect, but they are entirely on my side, thankfully.

I help coach the Level 7s and 8s from the gym's second location, but my main group of girls are a group of five Level 4s and five Level 5s. I am hoping to bring them much higher over the coming years while I work towards building a quality TOPs program, a homeschooling program, and elite program in the background.

Once again, thank you all for your interest in my journey. It is very flattering, and I owe all the knowledge I have to this wonderful community! :)

Aero, it's been such an honor to follow your journey! I remember you first post asking about starting an Xcel program (have I really been on CB that long? lol), your hair buns post :) , the report of your first meet, the following successes. I've always admired your passion and the dedication to your girls, I wish more coaches were like you.
I can't imagine how hard it was for you to leave, but I'm sure it was the right decision. You need to follow your dreams, and with your passion I'm sure we'll see many great things from you. Wouldn't be surprised to see you coaching an Olympic team member one day! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Aero, this is almost verbatim what I was about to write, including the Xcel and hair bun post. I also wish more coaches were like you. Your humility and willingness to learn from others are some of your greatest assets. Never lose them. I can’t wait to follow your journey! All the best!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back