Big Fear....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just read a story on Avery Downing... The gymnast that feel on bars and broke her back, but not only that but became paralyzed from the waist down.

I can NOT get over this... I cant get it off my mind.... It is scaring the crap out of me! I look at people walking around, and I see my toes wiggling and I am SOOOOOOOOOO greatful that I have full control of my body. I cant even imagine being paralyzed.

I almost feel like I am scared to go to gym because of it...

Its apparently called "Inmobility Phobia" and its caused by a memory/thought.

Posting this makes me realize that I am really blowing it out of proportion... But AHHH! I want it off my mind!!! :confused::eek::(:mad:

Our gym has been supporting Avery all season, the girls wear t-shirts to every meet, we all read her story. Have you also read about the support groups that Avery has. It helps to read about those that are helping Avery. Just search for Team Avery and lots of stuff will show up. Just reading about how much Avery has accomplished through her rehab or reading about things people have done to support her may help you feel better about this life altering accident.

I don't have any information or stats, but an injury like Avery has is so rare in gymnastics. As with anything we do in our lives, accidents happen, I guess that's why they are called accidents.

Try not to let it get you down, getting involved is sometimes the best medicine.

I think almost every gymnasts comes to a time when they realize just how dangerous the stuff they do everyday can be. This is one of the many reasons you see kids in the teenage years start leaving gymnastics and going to other sports/activities. The fact that you can acknowledge the risks associated with physical activity is just a sign of normal brain development, it would be more bothersome if at your age you were completely oblivious to the fact that gymnastics can be dangerous!
Like jsfofec said, accidents happen, in gymnastics and other places in life. In the 16ish years I've been involved in gymnastics in one form or another, I know of only a handful of these cases for the hundreds of thousands of kids that participate in some form of gymnastics. However, if this is something that is really bothering you, I highly suggest you talk to your parents and coaches about it. They will be able to walk with you through it and feel better about things.
I really understand where you are coming from and know that gymnastics can be a really scary sport at times, but you don't want those "what ifs" to keep you from doing what you love.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back