WAG Big mess before state meet this weekend:(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bog, I'm wondering the same thing a lot these days! It's supposed to be an extra curricular activity... For FUN! Right?
Yes, fun. Hard work though, but essentially a fun sport.
Between broken bodies and broken spirits I think sometimes coaches get carried away, and parents with them.
I was there with my oldest and her back problems.

Everybody in the gym is upset about this. Except for HC#2, who still couldn't care less. So I have been getting a lot of inquiries seeing if DD is ok. But one excoach told me that this is your typical "tough love" scenario. Makes you a "better competitor". To which I replied "BS"!
Good response.

Everybody in the gym is upset about this. Except for HC#2, who still couldn't care less. So I have been getting a lot of inquiries seeing if DD is ok. But one excoach told me that this is your typical "tough love" scenario. Makes you a "better competitor". To which I replied "BS"!

Tough love isn't personal. Tough love isn't degrading. Tough love doesn't make a kid feel worthless. A coach who doesn't understand the difference isn't worth a lot in my book.

I'm just wondering, as a new parent, and related to the comment about the sunshine and rainbows gyms only having xcel, what's the advantage of doing the jo program over Xcel?

I'm just wondering, as a new parent, and related to the comment about the sunshine and rainbows gyms only having xcel, what's the advantage of doing the jo program over Xcel?

Mabel, that is a valid question. You see DD has level 8 and 9 skills. Previous to this week, on all events. She still has them on the other events. So, if she gets over the bars fear (coach fear), she would be at the highest level on Excel: Diamond. She is in 4th grade. So she would only have the option of competing Diamond for 5th,6th,7th, 8th....and so on.

And coaches did hope she would go to college for gym (any division, not just big leagues). This part I'm not sure about...DD just does gym because she loves it. She has zero college aspirations. But if she changed her mind, it would be beneficial if she were JO. That's what colleges look for: JO level 10s.

But I'm not closed minded. If she wanted to do Diamond for the next 5 years, I'd sign her up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back