Parents Bittersweet Day

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
Bittersweet day, today. We are at the Biles Invitational and it may just be our last meet ever. Dd has been injured all season and just Thursday her coaches strung together something so she could attempt competing at least one last time. She has never even attempted these routines in practice before two days ago. But her coaches say it is safe, even if not high scoring.

In the summer she had beautiful level 8 everything, but then she injured her knee, shoulder and the stress fractures in both legs came back. She was off for several months but insisted she wanted to try to finish the season with one meet.

This is the end for Gymnastics and her body. But she wanted one last chance to attempt a meet. She is still slowly grieving the end.

We have no hopes for any medals. She is just hoping for a 32. That is so weird to say from a former state champ, but that is where we are.

Please cross your fingers for her. I just want her to leave the sport on a happy note, if that is even possible.

Sending good thoughts your way! It sounds like she’s had an amazing career and should be very proud. I’m sure it will be a rough day but hopefully you guys can still enjoy it and she can have a great meet! Good luck!!

I hope it's a good meet for her and that she enjoys herself out there.

I know that the day my dd has her last meet will be emotional for both of us.

Crossing fingers mama has a good day, too.

I could not like your post, it made me sad.

I hope you DD is successful today and for the rest of her life.

I hope she can find a way to continue gymnastics, even if as a coach. If she chooses to leave it I hope she finds something she has the same passion for. Life can be hard when we lose our passion.

I'm glad her coaches were so willing to give her a positive end to her gymnastics journey.

There is always that one, though. After the meet she told us that one of her coaches told her she didn’t deserve the chance to compete, as those weren’t true level 8 routines and she was an embarrassment to have out there.

Why????? Why do horrible people choose a career working with children? What the ever living $&@!? Is wrong with some people. I’ve never been so angry about anything anyone has done to my children before.

The parents who have seen the struggle the past two years cheered for her as if she won gold. Her teammates were as supportive as possible. But there had to be that one horrible human being to ruin the end.

What a total jerk! I'm glad her teammates were supportive at least.

My daughter's last JO meet was an unmitigated disaster in terms of scores because she was only able to do three events with minimal skills, coming off of a long string of injuries, but thank goodness most of her coaches celebrated the fact that she was out there competing at all, and the one coach with whom she's had issues didn't say anything. Seriously, what kind of you-know-what would not let her go out with dignity and celebrate how much adversity she's overcome? This just really makes me angry.

There is always that one, though. After the meet she told us that one of her coaches told her she didn’t deserve the chance to compete, as those weren’t true level 8 routines and she was an embarrassment to have out there.

Why????? Why do horrible people choose a career working with children? What the ever living $&@!? Is wrong with some people. I’ve never been so angry about anything anyone has done to my children before.

The parents who have seen the struggle the past two years cheered for her as if she won gold. Her teammates were as supportive as possible. But there had to be that one horrible human being to ruin the end.
So... 3rd place on vault is an embarrassment??? wtf???

And as for not being true L8 routines ... she got deducted for that (or had lowered start values or both).

That coach needs to find a short pier and go for a nice LONG walk! The COACH is the embarrassment - not being supportive of ALL gymnasts on the team!

I am so sorry that she had to hear that from a coach! But encourage her to stay in contact with the supportive coaches. We’ve found that those coaches want to hear that the kids are doing fine with whatever they decide to do as they really care about the kids whether they are part of the team or not.

So... 3rd place on vault is an embarrassment??? wtf???

And as for not being true L8 routines ... she got deducted for that (or had lowered start values or both).

That coach needs to find a short pier and go for a nice LONG walk! The COACH is the embarrassment - not being supportive of ALL gymnasts on the team!

Thank you. She had a 9.8 start value on vault, as she competed a tsuk tuck instead of pike. The rest were 10.0, but she traded her full for a half on floor, took out her back tuck on beam and changed her beam series to a bhs-bwo (yes, weird order, but it is what she could land). Her bars was the exact same routine as every other girl on the team.

I'm sorry. I think some people forget this is for all of us an individual journey, and that this is unfortunately an injured athlete's attempt to put everything she has out there. But it's hard for some to see beyond those base scores. Remind you daughter you are so proud and that you can't wait until her body recovers and all the things she has to look forward to. She had a fantastic meet. So quickly she adjusted her routines with and with a 3rd place event finish with so many injuries. So super proud. There are tears in my eyes for too many reasons. Hugs to you both!

Thank you. She had a 9.8 start value on vault, as she competed a tsuk tuck instead of pike. The rest were 10.0, but she traded her full for a half on floor, took out her back tuck on beam and changed her beam series to a bhs-bwo (yes, weird order, but it is what she could land). Her bars was the exact same routine as every other girl on the team.

That makes what the coach said even crazier. 10.0 SV means she was meeting the requirements. And There are girls out there that only compete 1/2-1/2 vaults or FHS (as their vault that actually counts) at L8 who havent had a number of injuries.
Did she make her 32 goal? I bet she did. Congrats to her on being able to compete the changed routines on so little practice.

Reactions: sce
She scored a 33.350. 8.8 vault, 9.1 floor, 7.950 beam (fell on the series and lost credit for the series as well as the fall), 7.5 bars (missed her pirouette, reattempted and missed it again, so she jumped off and just turned around on the floor). She actually qualified to state from the meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back