WAG Bittersweet Time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amgymnast618

Coach
Gymnast
I've been wanting to make this post for a while but I forgot the password to my account. Better late than never! Back in April, I competed in my last meet of my 13 year gym career (I'm a senior). Going in, I knew I had a good chance of making regionals if I hit everything. My first 2 events were floor and vault, which both went great (9.3 and 9.4). Bars and beam were another story. I hit my feet on the ground during my pirouette and fell over on my cast handstand (7.7). I think I was still shaken up from bars when we got to beam, and I fell on my series. After that, I was even more shaken up and ended up falling on a full turn for the first time in 3 years (8.4). So this was not the ending I wanted to my competitive career, and I was VERY upset for several days after. However, I've still been going to practice since then, and I've regained skills I had lost earlier and have gotten my 1.5 on floor and overshoot on bars. For the first time in years, I don't feel stressed at practice all the time, and I think that's a huge part of why I've been improving so much. I graduated high school on Saturday, team banquet is this weekend, and my last day of practice is next Wednesday. Overall, I'm pretty happy with where I am right now, but I don't feel ready to be done with gymnastics and will probably do club gym in college. I will also continue coaching rec over the summer. Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to share!

Congrats on your long career in the sport! While it doesn’t sound like an ideal ending, it does sound like you have an ideal attitude. I have a rising senior. She’ll be where you are a year from now, and she too plans to compete club and coach in college. It’s amazing how there are ways to keep going when it’s in your blood. Good luck to you next year!

I'm sorry things didn't end in the way you hoped, but congratulations on a long, successful career! To have persevered and worked so hard for 13 years... wow! Best of luck to you as you move into this new season of life. Enjoy it!

13 years is a huge career in a sport that isn't forgiving towards injuries, other commitments etc so congrats on having such a successful one!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back