MAG Blackjack/Winter Cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Link to 2nd preliminary session starting soon! Didn't realize it was live, missed my son's team mate who was in this morning winter cup prelim.

It was very sad to watch. First event too. He punched and went up in the air, and then kind of did a weird straddle roll out to the floor. They carried him off fast. He came out later, well splinted and on crutches. He was laughing, and talking to people. Basically said sh!t happens. It was sad and did put a damper on things for a while.

Jake went down in warm ups with a knee injury. He did walk off.

you could tell this was the first big meet of the year. Lots of falls , lots of errors. But we are looking forward to Saturday night!

We were watching the Youtube live feed. We were wondering where Jake was - so sad he and Sam went down :(

Akash is amazing, and Donnell's triple pike dismount from H bar - whoa! :eek::eek::cool:

Also shout out to Chris Brooks for the top score on High Bar - those single arm skills :eek::eek: #betterwithage

Love mens gymnastics so much.

I love Akash and Donnell. So glad they are doing well. That Olympic alternate spot is so bittersweet. How is John O doing?

I was wondering about John O as well, and also happy for Olympic Alternates Akash and Donnell as well.

Exciting to see a junior, Brandon Briones, do so well! Happy for him!

Recently read an article about Sam M training differently on USA gym website. Focusing on less on # turns and more on quality to protect his body. I am sad he is injured. This sport really is tough on the body. This comment really hit home with me as DS has been struggling with a growth related repetitive stress injury and has been training similarly with the addition of more conditioning.

I guess it wasn't until this season that I realized how tough this sport is on bodies really. A coach said it is about managing injuries and it finally hit me that this is a part of this sport for all at the higher levels.

Yes. it is tough. D was telling me yesterday that something always hurts. But he said he knows when to worry, and most are just not worry-worthy. That is a tough thing to hear, but i think common at this high level of any sport. So we manage them. I am hoping we can take some time this summer to train him to keep his body healthy. His coach is determined to do that with him, so that makes me happy!

And Chris was amazing on HB! And Donnell. well, it was just fun to watch!

This sport really is tough on the body. This comment really hit home with me as DS has been struggling with a growth related repetitive stress injury and has been training similarly with the addition of more conditioning.

Our current team of coaches strongly promote lower hours for boys through the growing years. It can be hard to watch the high-hours, super-polished kids from the power gyms sweep the medal stands at every level, but I keep being told it will pay off in keeping my son as healthy as possible and most ready for the 'real' work after puberty and the growing is mostly done. Time will tell, but I do see the logic here, and so far (knock on wood), injury free (other than accidental stuff)....

But yeah, at the highest levels, injuries and continual injury-risk-maintenance are part of sport. Can't really avoid it.

I am curious what is meant by lower hours and lower reps, more specifically? What are the actual numbers/hours? Older DS (13, Level 8) keeps having knee trouble and I am getting worried. Of course he does not want to miss one second of practice, but he keeps getting hurt and then he has to miss days and even weeks at a time. I would not think our gym is high hours, but then I do not have anything to compare it to. Certainly training hours have always increased as gymnasts move up levels.

I am curious what is meant by lower hours and lower reps, more specifically? What are the actual numbers/hours? Older DS (13, Level 8) keeps having knee trouble and I am getting worried. Of course he does not want to miss one second of practice, but he keeps getting hurt and then he has to miss days and even weeks at a time. I would not think our gym is high hours, but then I do not have anything to compare it to. Certainly training hours have always increased as gymnasts move up levels.

My 15yo Ds is level 9, and does 15 hours a week. Last spring he was doing 12 hours. I know this is quite low compared to most gyms

My own rough perception for L8/9...

Low hours: 12 or fewer

Medium/average hours: 13-17

High hours: 18-22

Very High: 23-30+

Maybe bump the scale up a few hours for L 10...

D is L9 and does 15-18 so high average. I cannot imagine him doing 22 hours a week......that is their whole after school world. This is hard enough some days with school stuff!!

Mine will be doing 10-12 for L7 next season (and still just 12 for L8 after that assuming same gym). Yes, it's low. But stress-injury prevention is a huge concern as he is about to enter prime growing years. He does do some extra stretching and modest conditioning at home to supplement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back