Parents Blocks... When to move on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
Long story short-
-dd was 10 yo level 9, developed a block on bhs bhs on beam.
-Went back to 8 the next year and new blocks surfaced, Giants, fulls, and flipping vault with continued bhs bhs block. Competed a tough 8 year. -Injured following the tough 8 season.
-moved gyms due to gym bit understanding blocks, thinking she was being obstinate, etc.
-new gym. injuries. Worked what she could, but took off the competition season due to injury.

Currently half way through level 9 season, 13 years old still with blocks
-new gym is more understanding, mostly, patient, lots of drills to help with blocks, but still not a lot of improvement.
-halfway through level 9 and giants are hit or miss and a mess.
-vault-sometimes she will flip it
-beam-beautiful, no blocks
-floor-gorgeous (becoming a much better dancer), except she won't do a full without a coach super close

I've done enough reading to know there is no time limit with blocks. As a parent who invests time and money into this sport, though, I'm not sure how much longer I can hold on.

DD says she wants it. Says she's changing her way of thinking.

I guess my question/concern is, how long do I continue in gym? Generally, I'm not a quitter, but I also don't like continuing bring wasteful when there isn't much improving.

What about Xcel. She could compete Diamond... it is like L7-L9 skills. It can also be less pressure.

It may help her to have less pressure as she works thru the blocks - and offer her success at the same time.

I don't know if it is an option in your area, but if so, it would be something to consider.

Good luck.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. What do you feel you are wasting? Time? Money? I'm not sure how her blocks or progress would affect those things. Gymnastics isn't a savings plan. You will likely not get any tangible returns on those investments. If your dd still loves it, still has her passion, then you aren't wasting anything. If you are only in it for a college scholarship or elite/national team, well you could just as easily play the powerball.

I'll second trying Doc Ali Webcamp if you haven't already. That said, if she's having fun most days and still wants to be in the gym, I would let her keep doing gymnastics.

This article is great. We aren't really paying for gymnastics. She's learning so many life skills right now. If she was miserable, I'd say to maybe think about moving on. http://shadmartin.blogspot.com/2015/10/why-i-dont-pay-for-dance-anymore.html?m=1

And when I've not been sure as a mom how happy or unhappy overall my daughter was, I've used a mood tracking app. When she came out of gym, I'd gauge her overall mood and put it in there (I had one that used smileys), then I could see the bigger picture over time and not get caught up in her very stressed or sad days.

At this point, she must focus on fun......if she does not want to do a skill, then she won't......if she tells you she 'wants it' there is no way to know what 'it' means.....find fun again........hormones really suck.
If she wants to fight through, then Continue the doc Ali, and focusing on fun etc.........
A friend of mine who has a L10 going off to college told me how the last 4 years for her daughter represented 98% disappointment and pain....the other 2% was fun......she was ok with that.....
My son was not and when it became less and less fun he quit......unfortunately......

I see what you mean. It is hard as a parent to see your child struggle through a painful process. My daughter has been struggling with blocks and injuries for 3 years.

I wonder, how long? How long do I continue to allow it?

I think that if there continues to be some progress, overall, in spite of the blocks, and if she is enjoying it, and putting forth her full effort, then it is appropriate to allow her to continue.

If you are questioning whether she is continuing to progress, and whether it is appropriate for her to remain on the JO team, set up a time to talk with your daughter' s coaches.

I would suggest making time in your scedule to try another activity/ activities.
Maybe an hour a week for several weeks as your Dd tries dance/ diving/etc

Maybe present it to her as being great to try other activities as well.

Ive seen this approach with 2 girls with major blocks at our gym. One girl is now happily involved in another activity. The other did both for awhile, her blocks pretty much resolved & is now deciding what to pursue.

For me gymnastics is kid's sport. Period. It is meant to be fun. So for my Dd even the tough days have a fun element. If this ever changes (& I mean majorly -not a few tough days in a row) at seasons end we will be seeking another activity.

Good luck OP -it is hard being a gymnasts parent☺

I suggest you consider hypnotism. Most minor mental blocks can be overcome with patience and a bit of psychological training. But major blocks are gone that have been going on for months or years and may come and go and creep into other skills.

These blocks are not related to a lack of ability to do the skills, so further training is not always the answer. They are not related to poor coaching or a lack of motivation or effort. They are related to a deep seated problem in the sub conscience. Hypnotism can bring about a quick and permanent solution.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. What do you feel you are wasting? Time? Money? I'm not sure how her blocks or progress would affect those things. Gymnastics isn't a savings plan. You will likely not get any tangible returns on those investments. If your dd still loves it, still has her passion, then you aren't wasting anything. If you are only in it for a college scholarship or elite/national team, well you could just as easily play the powerball.

I didn't see it that way and I get what you say when you put it that way. Mostly wasting time. She will get up on the bars, and just hang out, waiting for the courage to 'go'. Guess I feel like that is wasting time in a sense. Not just mine, but coaches, hers, teammates, etc.

No, not looking for a 'return on investment' type deal.

But, I do feel it is a waste of money and time when we pay for a meet, travel, etc and she won't perform. No, not looking for prizes, just for her to feel good about herself.

I want her to have fun, but feel successful.

No Xcel isn't an option.

I suggest you consider hypnotism. Most minor mental blocks can be overcome with patience and a bit of psychological training. But major blocks are gone that have been going on for months or years and may come and go and creep into other skills.

These blocks are not related to a lack of ability to do the skills, so further training is not always the answer. They are not related to poor coaching or a lack of motivation or effort. They are related to a deep seated problem in the sub conscience. Hypnotism can bring about a quick and permanent solution.

I'm intrigued!! I'll be looking to see if I can find hypnotism in our area!

I would suggest making time in your scedule to try another activity/ activities.
Maybe an hour a week for several weeks as your Dd tries dance/ diving/etc

Maybe present it to her as being great to try other activities as well.

Ive seen this approach with 2 girls with major blocks at our gym. One girl is now happily involved in another activity. The other did both for awhile, her blocks pretty much resolved & is now deciding what to pursue.

For me gymnastics is kid's sport. Period. It is meant to be fun. So for my Dd even the tough days have a fun element. If this ever changes (& I mean majorly -not a few tough days in a row) at seasons end we will be seeking another activity.

Good luck OP -it is hard being a gymnasts parent☺

We actually have kind of gone this route. She started public school last year. This year she decided to join dance and athletics. While it's mostly in school, there are after school requirements, too.

And when I've not been sure as a mom how happy or unhappy overall my daughter was, I've used a mood tracking app. When she came out of gym, I'd gauge her overall mood and put it in there (I had one that used smileys), then I could see the bigger picture over time and not get caught up in her very stressed or sad days.

Love this and will be using it!!

wishing you and your DD good luck - not sure when is "enough" suspect it varies kid to kid.

DD 13 quit this year after blocks, coaching issues, and lots of social issues at gym along with puberty made it no fun anymore, and although she is definitely a happier girl, she still misses it and feels like with different gym/coaches/team mates, etc she would have been happy in gymnastics still - I think she would still have had the issues that led to the blocks on the L8-10 skills, but who knows?

I do know that the last 12 months of wanting it sometimes and wanting to get the heck out of the gym others led her to behave in a way she is ashamed of now - chalking up for 30 minutes, skipping turns, not going for skills when asked, etc - and she feels like she "lost respect" amongst the coaches and team mates at the new gym. She was never actually disrespectful or any such thing - but went from being one of the hardest workers to having coaches think she was "faking injuries", or not sick when she really was - I can only figure that happened because her attitude wasn't what they wanted/expected - as she came to practice religiously even with sprained ankles and on triple antibiotics...I only bring this up because as her mom I wish that I had known what toll "fighting to make it through all the challenges" took on her underlying self concept...she was never going to go to the Olympics or make a career out of gym - she was a good gymnast with at best college aspirations and more likely a few years at L 10 in her future...and when her home gym fell apart she never managed to socially transition to the new one - no ones fault there. With the fun gone and the blocks a struggle, it really was unhealthy for her - despite making progress on getting skills back, new ones, etc....

Hope your DD finds the best path for herself - many kids make it through and still enjoy gym into high school - its so hard to read what's "right" as a parent!

wishing you and your DD good luck - not sure when is "enough" suspect it varies kid to kid.

DD 13 quit this year after blocks........... With the fun gone and the blocks a struggle, it really was unhealthy for her - despite making progress on getting skills back, new ones, etc....

Hope your DD finds the best path for herself - many kids make it through and still enjoy gym into high school - its so hard to read what's "right" as a parent!

Gracie-after following your Dds journey as an online CB friend , I think you did an amazing job as a parent because you continued to support your Dd in her sport that she wanted. Being a parent is never easy-& helping our kids to realise that some battles are best left is yet another life lesson learnt.

Im sure your Dd -when the dust settles -will enjoy another sport/activity with the added perspective her gym experience gave her.

Gracie-after following your Dds journey as an online CB friend , I think you did an amazing job as a parent because you continued to support your Dd in her sport that she wanted. Being a parent is never easy-& helping our kids to realise that some battles are best left is yet another life lesson learnt.

Im sure your Dd -when the dust settles -will enjoy another sport/activity with the added perspective her gym experience gave her.
Thanks - still raw this time of the year - but she's out with her horse as we speak and loving school, cheer not so much - its just not the same - but will finish out the season she committed to. And she likes going to her brother's meets!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back