Boarding school vs. Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm having a bit of a conflict because there's a prestigious boarding school that I'd like to apply to (because my current high school is, frankly, filled with morons-- yes, even the honors and AP classes), but because I'd be a residential student, I'd have no way of doing gymnastics. Believe it or not, they have NO type of gymnastics program whatsoever, not even cheerleading (though they have nordic skiing of all things). They do have figure skating and ballet, which I've always thought would be cool to try but never had the time or money for it.

I'm trying to think of some way to get around this, like maybe going to a gym in the area, but there wouldn't be anyone to drive me to meets even if my parents sent the money... Has anyone else had this conflict? If so, how did you resolve it? :confused:

Chances are I wouldn't even get in, but it's worth a shot and I'd rather have everything worked out beforehand.

I wonder if you could start a club, though equipment would be an issue. But maybe if you had a club, and there is a gym in the area, some transportation would be available? The other sports must have some transportation. I wouldn't necessarily worry about meets, that would be nice but a bit more complicated than you should shoot for I think, first I would just find a way to do gymnastics even if it's just working out.

I went to boarding school for high school and my suggestion is to ask on your tour if there are any gyms nearby. If there is often they will arrange for a staff member to transport you there. My school did this for kids who were Catholic and needed to go to CCD and get confirmed, among other things. So, I would ASK. The likelihood of a school having a gymnastics program is slim and none- but they may be willing to accommodate your needs by transporting you- no doubt it will cost extra. Also, the great thing about boarding school is they often have non-traditional school days-- for instance our school was 1/2 day on Weds and during the winter semester.... the down side was we had Saturday (1/2 day) classes- but you live there and everyone else has Saturday classes too. Best wishes- I loved boarding school and I was super prepared for college. I say go for it!~

Not really any advice as far as gymnastics is concerned, but I just wanted to send lots of well wishes as you work on applications and to make this decision. I struggled immensely through high school and begged my parents to home school me or allow me to attend boarding school, but it just wasn't a possibility financially. So I totally understand your frustrations with high school and desire to find some place that might be a better fit.
I know some boarding schools have day programs, so if your school has one of those maybe you could find a non-boarding student involved in gymnastics to kind of help you find a gym and work out transportation. It might be a long shot, but may be worth a try.
Sending lots of good luck your way!

I have no idea where you live if it is even an option but what about public transportation? Bus, taxi, shuttle, subway?

I also know a lot of smaller towns with no good means of cheap transportation offer low cost shuttles, a lot of times geared toward seniors but I have seen young people ride them.

Also a lot of churches offer programs to help people get around mainly for home bound folks but I am sure if you offered to do something for them volunteer at a food drive or something they might offer it to you.

Of course with any of these options your parents and the school would have to be on board. Lastly keep in mind your education is the most important thing, gymnastics is awesome and I know it is a huge part of your life but good schooling will take you anywhere you want to go while gymnastics will only take you so far so don't sacrifice a good education for gymnastics if they choice comes down to it. Good luck!

If there are gyms nearby usually with the help of your parent I'm sure they could arrange some type of transportation through the school. Believe me if they are making a buck anything can be done. Probably a staff member could get you there and pick up. Once in the gym start to make friends and perhaps other parents that may be near the school would be willing to carpool to practices and meets. Maybe even a coach would be willing to do some transportation to meets or practices if you're on the way to and from where they live. Then there is public transportation, taxi, etc.
If the gym is close enough maybe even a bike ride would work. Talk to your parents they can help you sort this out with the help of the adults at the school assuming you get in. Also if there is enough interest in a sport at a school many schools will offer it.

I'm sure that you couild go on public transportation to the gym or with a staff member. You could ask a teamate or even your coach to drive you to a meet, or if your parents are visiting on the weekend they could drive you.

You might want to lobby that activity. Maybe nobody thought of creating that one yet. The approach to education in a boarding school is supposed to be holistic. The school seeks to provide for the emotional, academic, sporting and spiritual needs of the child. This means that not only is the student receiving a balanced and all-round education, they are being prepared for a happy and successful life after school. In addition, weekends are student orientated and there are many activities to occupy the time.So there will be no reason why they wouldn't support this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back