Bob Costas Interview with Simone and Aly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ah, just ignore me on this issue. Lately, I have been hypersensitive about things being overproduced and packaged.

To good thing? I recognize when I am being hypersensitive.

DD and I watched that interview. Our mouths hurt from smiling so much. Aly and Simone were Adorable. I asked DD, "Could you see yourself paling around with them? " Of course she said, "Yeah! They are so funny!"
The girls/women are so down to earth.

For me, it isn't an either or type of situation. Why can't they be seen as BOTH? That could have been accomplished by asking each of them just one or two questions about their sport and their training along with all of the fun and personal questions.

I think I agree with you. I believe that a professional sportscaster should have been able to intersperse some serious questions about the competition without breaking the overall mood.

I'm not a fan of Bob Costas and I'm glad the girls kept him off balance. They made it clear they wanted to avoid serious conversation and he had to go with the flow. He looked a bit uncomfortable and I think that's hilarious. I saw it as them not cooperating with the narrative NBC is trying to create.

But I see this point as well.

The New York Times just posted this regarding sexist comments during the Olympics. Trautwig gets a mention.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/s...s-women.html&eventName=Watching-article-click
They mention the diary incident with Al and Wevers. But, the thing that ticked me off about that one (that they don't mention) is that after Nastia explained, Al made a comment along the lines of how she should be writing in her diary, "dear diary, I just won the Olympics." Seriously, that took it to far.

The interview was fine...it was cute and showed them relaxed and relieved that it is over. They did what they came to do. And it's not as if NBC hadn't interviewed them multiple times already. This was the last of many.

As for Trautwig....I hope he's not around by 2020. He's out of touch.

I thought he did fine. I think he was having trouble steering the conversation then decided to just go with it. I think everyone (Bob, Aly, Simone) was tired so it may have been hard to have a serious conversation. And of course Aly and Simone were very excited.

Towards the beginning he was directing questions but then the wrong person would answer for the other one or just keep bringing up Zac Efron or cupcakes so he just went with it. Btw I think it was fine, and preferable, in my opinion for them to talk about what they wanted to talk about and I think they did. I don't think they really wanted to talk about gymnastics.

I actually thought the first interview after AA was funnier. When they showed Simone's mom and sister hugging and crying, she used the exact tone most people would use for a pet, and said "ohhhh, they're crying! Oh that's so cute! They're nutcases. Sometimes they cry". I just started laughing hysterically. she was obviously exhausted but her tone made it hilarious.

I thought he did fine. I think he was having trouble steering the conversation then decided to just go with it. I think everyone (Bob, Aly, Simone) was tired so it may have been hard to have a serious conversation. And of course Aly and Simone were very excited.

Towards the beginning he was directing questions but then the wrong person would answer for the other one or just keep bringing up Zac Efron or cupcakes so he just went with it. Btw I think it was fine, and preferable, in my opinion for them to talk about what they wanted to talk about and I think they did. I don't think they really wanted to talk about gymnastics.

I actually thought the first interview after AA was funnier. When they showed Simone's mom and sister hugging and crying, she used the exact tone most people would use for a pet, and said "ohhhh, they're crying! Oh that's so cute! They're nutcases. Sometimes they cry". I just started laughing hysterically. she was obviously exhausted but her tone made it hilarious.
That sounds right to me

I'll tell you what I would not be. Urinating all over a gas station. So proud of all our Final Five. Their biggest scandal is eating French fries.

Well yes, there's that...you feel like saying to these guys "have you heard about the Amanda Knox case? Do not screw up in a foreign country!"

I think they were fun, relatable and normal. I'm glad that they aren't "robotic" and are real! They have the gold, the fact that they are athletic, competitive, hardworking and strong is given.

And Aly, can be robotic. My appreciation for Aly has grown exponentially in the past few weeks. She was so monotone and robotic in 2012.

It's such a relief for me as a fan that they did it. We cannot even comprehend the pressure they were under. I love that Today brought him in and he is cute! The team has been together for a month straight. The fact that they get along as well as they do is amazing. I'm ready to run from my family after about ten days.

And Aly, can be robotic. My appreciation for Aly has grown exponentially in the past few weeks. She was so monotone and robotic in 2012.

Talking about Aly and robotic, she has really grown so much. This video of her in 2o08 had me laughing so much with her monotone.

Aly has really learned how to handle the media. But I am also very impressed with Simone. She is showing poise and maturity beyond her years in all of her interviews. Laurie has a dazzling personality. As for Madison -- she is somewhat understated and subdued, but she also shows a good deal of poise.

I agree with many here. I watched a zillion interviews with these girls that were all about training, competing, pressure, etc. It's not like NBC has been treating them like airheads.

This was possibly my favorite interview of all time, because they were so adorable and relate-able, and you feel like you got a glimpse of who they really are instead of robot USAG answers. It was hard to keep from smiling.

I really didn't think it was sexist at all. And I am regularly described as a humorless feminist, so it's not like I'm not looking for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back