WAG Body image

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Things have shifted and changed a lot and I just stumbled across the USAG nutritional guidelines because I am concerned my Dd isn’t getting enough protein for her activity level. There was a portion about this.

I was a gymnast in the 70’s and 80’s and ended up w an eating disorder. There are documentaries about the damage of some coaches desires to have thin gymnasts . It’s tough to walk around in a leo and not feel body image issues.

I am not sure which portion you would like to discuss but I think about this a lot.

We have to be very careful about how we discuss this topic on a public forum.

first rule of body Imaging is we don't talk about body imaging , second rule of body imaging is WE DON"T TALK ABOU BODY IMAGING.

Telling someone who is struggling that it’s taboo to talk about their struggle is unhelpful.

To the OP: Focus on loving your body for what it can do not what it looks like, and focus on appreciating yourself for all the ways you bring value to the world around you that have nothing to do with looks. Our choices say far more about us than what we look like and understanding that truth will get you far in life!

If you are struggling enough that you are making unhealthy choices, talk to an adult you can trust who is in a position to provide you with concrete solutions (which this forum cannot do.) I have been there, so I can promise there is help out there if you ask for it!

If you’re struggling, please prioritize getting the help that you need. Also know that you are not alone. Even the girls who you think are ultra confident have body insecurities. But I see gymnasts of all body types doing incredible things. And I’m also seeing role models in the world with beautiful bodies of all types, as well. Your only job is to strive to be the best you that you can be. Don’t let societal nonsense keep you from that.

Telling someone who is struggling that it’s taboo to talk about their struggle is unhelpful.

To the OP: Focus on loving your body for what it can do not what it looks like, and focus on appreciating yourself for all the ways you bring value to the world around you that have nothing to do with looks. Our choices say far more about us than what we look like and understanding that truth will get you far in life!

If you are struggling enough that you are making unhealthy choices, talk to an adult you can trust who is in a position to provide you with concrete solutions (which this forum cannot do.) I have been there, so I can promise there is help out there if you ask for it!
I personally don’t think it’s something a coach should talk about with athletes. Especially in this day and age, where things can be taken out of context. If one can’t talk to your parents, maybe a school counselor is the way to go. I know as a former teacher if a child came to me, that is where I would direct them. I do understand about telling and talking with a trusting adult, and sometimes it is hard to find a trusting adult these days where both sides feel comfortable. I am not a coach btw. My two cents, fwiw.

I personally don’t think it’s something a coach should talk about with athletes. Especially in this day and age, where things can be taken out of context. If one can’t talk to your parents, maybe a school counselor is the way to go. I know as a former teacher if a child came to me, that is where I would direct them. I do understand about telling and talking with a trusting adult, and sometimes it is hard to find a trusting adult these days where both sides feel comfortable. I am not a coach btw. My two cents, fwiw.

I agree on all counts! Thanks for your comment. Coaches should not bring it up. But if the athlete brings it up they can be encouraged to find an appropriate source of counsel rather than just being shut down. Hearing from anyone that it’s not okay to talk about, even with slight jest, would have left me feeling deeply ashamed and afraid to ever mention it again... hence my response :) We aren’t this person’s coaches and I think we can certainly offer positive and useful direction without crossing any lines.

I actually think it depends on the coach and your child’s relationship with the coach. Several years ago we were in these murky waters and my daughter’s coach and I worked together on this though ultimately it was she who carefully framed things for my daughter. It was the correct choice for us as everything the coach said was said in a very positive, constructive manner and my daughter listened and all turned out ok.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back