Parents Bone bruise

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone has anyone experienced a bone bruise before my level 3 gymnast has a bone bruise on her long toe , she has had it since November and is still in pain , not sure what to do about it , we have tried RICE and she rested it over the Xmas break , but is now back at training avoiding anything with impact ,

Have you seen a doctor about it?

Generally, we discourage asking or offering medical advice here on CB; the best person to suggest treatment for an injury will always be a doctor who has examined the athlete.

If there is still pain I would definitely recommend going back in to the Dr. However... in my experience... they take quite a long time to heal.

Also remember that simple things like climbing stairs at school with a heavy backpack on can provide quite a bit of impact. Even walking is impact.

Have you seen a doctor about it?

Generally, we discourage asking or offering medical advice here on CB; the best person to suggest treatment for an injury will always be a doctor who has examined the athlete.
Hi Geoff , not really asking for medical advice as we have seen a doctor and a physio. More just would like to know what other gymnast have done ? We live in Melbourne Australian and , she has only had one competition I two years because of our lockdowns , would hate for her to miss out again this year !

Hi Geoff , not really asking for medical advice as we have seen a doctor and a physio. More just would like to know what other gymnast have done ? We live in Melbourne Australian and , she has only had one competition I two years because of our lockdowns , would hate for her to miss out again this year !
Yes, and to clarify: I was just stating policy for anybody who wanders into the thread, was not intended as any sort of rebuke.

I know bone bruises can take a long time to heal, my daughter had one after over extending her knee once, and I know that foot injuries are also super stubborn to heal as well. They rarely get rested for long, and can have less blood flow to the area. When she rested over break was she in a boot/surgical shoe or crutches and instructed to fully stay off it? I'm not a doctor but I wonder if she was just generally instructed to rest it that maybe it wasn't restricted or long enough and maybe a visit back to the doc for more advice is warranted. A doctor recheck is what I'd do anyway.

My daughter had one. It was explained to us that it is pretty much a fracture, but not as severe and usually caused by trauma, not through overuse. It took months to heal and her season was shot. You may want to get clarification of how they define bone bruise in Australia, as it may be different.

Reactions: JBS
My daughter had one in January 2020 on the top of her foot. She was put in a boot initially and then in a follow up MRI when they confirmed bone bruise they told her it was her choice, to boot or not to boot, but expect it to keep hurting for a looong time.

It did in fact keep hurting for a long time. Covid shut down in March 2020 was the best thing ever for her because there was no way it was going to heal otherwise.

My son sustained a bone bruise injury in his shoulder after an impact accident on floor. This was diagnosed by his pediatric orthopedist after an MRI and physical exam. What we learned from this experience is that a bone bruise may not sound very serious, but as others have noted, is in fact an injury that can be very painful and may take a very long time to heal. In our son's case, he was unable to use his shoulder without pain for several months- as you can see from this thread about this I made back then, he was injured in December and still experiencing pain at the end of April! https://chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/shoulder-bone-bruise-long-recovery-time-help.62459/ Total rest of the affected area was what the doctor told him to do. My son went to gym practice but could really only work on conditioning other parts of his body.

Oh he also did physical therapy. I forgot that. And he was actually out of the gym completely about 3 months, then got clearance to go back and do stuff that did not hurt his shoulder.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back