WAG Bone scan vs. MRI

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We were able to move her up to today and MRI was done this morning. Will meet with ortho. tomorrow to discuss results. Nervous but glad we will be getting a more definitive answer on the stress fracture front. If it's not that, I now have some good follow up questions to ask!
Hope that you get some answers and a plan!

Just a quick update: MRI showed significant inflammation/activity in her SI joint. Her spine is ok. The issues in her SI joint are not very common for a gymnast. We are worried it is a combination of gymnastics and her arthritis flaring- or worse a progression to a more serious form of arthritis. Trying not to panic- or read too much online. She's pretty much out of all gymnastics right now- doing some stretching and light conditioning. She's sad. I'm worried. We'll see her rheumatologist this week.

Reactions: sce
I'm glad to hear her spine is ok but sorry that there seems to be more worrying issues on the horizon. Hopefully you will get some answers or a plan of action from her rheumatologist and she can get back into the gym soon. ((hugs)) to you both.

I'm glad to hear her spine is ok but sorry that there seems to be more worrying issues on the horizon. Hopefully you will get some answers or a plan of action from her rheumatologist and she can get back into the gym soon. ((hugs)) to you both.
Thank you! Truly hoping gymnastics can be in her future.

I'm sorry you didn't get better news, although I'm happy to hear there's no stress fracture. I know how difficult it can be to get a vague result like that, and then to have to wait for rheumatology and blood tests and whatever. Hopefully it's a minor flare up that resolves quickly. Keep us posted!

Just a quick update. We're still not sure if we are dealing with more of a gymnastics injury or a progression/flare in her arthritis. We're treating as if it is both at this point. First line of medication for arthritis (and some diet changes), rest and p/t for injury. They will do a repeat MRI in about 2 months (3 months after original.) I hate not knowing for so long. We found an excellent p/t and trainer. They make me hopeful that we can do things that will have gymnastics be easier on her body- really working engaging the right muscles (not always her back!) and working flexibility in areas where she is quite tight. They are doing some adjustments as well that should help. She's swimming laps a couple times a week and going into practice a couple times for about an hour to do upper body conditioning. She's anxious to get back to skills but we're thankful we've found some things that she can do that feel productive. Hoping we can get a clear answer and path forward after the MRI. She's made it clear that gymnastics is something she really wants to continue.

Just a quick update. We're still not sure if we are dealing with more of a gymnastics injury or a progression/flare in her arthritis. We're treating as if it is both at this point. First line of medication for arthritis (and some diet changes), rest and p/t for injury. They will do a repeat MRI in about 2 months (3 months after original.) I hate not knowing for so long. We found an excellent p/t and trainer. They make me hopeful that we can do things that will have gymnastics be easier on her body- really working engaging the right muscles (not always her back!) and working flexibility in areas where she is quite tight. They are doing some adjustments as well that should help. She's swimming laps a couple times a week and going into practice a couple times for about an hour to do upper body conditioning. She's anxious to get back to skills but we're thankful we've found some things that she can do that feel productive. Hoping we can get a clear answer and path forward after the MRI. She's made it clear that gymnastics is something she really wants to continue.
Hope the treatment and rest helps...thinking only good thoughts for a successful return to gymnastics!

My DD was having a lot of hip pain, or that is how she described it. Hurt to walk, run doing anything. Was limping everywhere. Took her to the chiropractor (honestly because I knew someone whose daughter was a dancer who had similar issues and because it was the quickest to get into). Turns out her pelvis was out of place. Once that was fixed she felt a MILLION TIMES better. Her legs were also different lengths due to the issue. Now DD can tell me when she is 'out of whack' and usually one trip to the chiropractor and she is feeling better. I think her flat feet cause a lot of alignment issues generally speaking.

It's really common for people with flat feet to overpronate (sometimes severely so). When she walks, do her ankles look like a C? If so, she might benefit from orthotics. The problem is, if your feet are out of alignment, then the foundation for your whole body is out of whack and it just travels right up through your body. Most running stores have orthotics. They usually have like a machine that you step on or a treadmill that you walk/run on and then the computer tells you what ones you need. You can also get custom ones and heat moldable ones done, too.

OP - I'm sorry it looks like your daughter's arthritis is rearing its ugly head. :( I hope she feels better soon, and her rheumatologist can find the right combination of meds and PT for her. <3

It's really common for people with flat feet to overpronate (sometimes severely so). When she walks, do her ankles look like a C? If so, she might benefit from orthotics. The problem is, if your feet are out of alignment, then the foundation for your whole body is out of whack and it just travels right up through your body. Most running stores have orthotics. They usually have like a machine that you step on or a treadmill that you walk/run on and then the computer tells you what ones you need. You can also get custom ones and heat moldable ones done, too.

OP - I'm sorry it looks like your daughter's arthritis is rearing its ugly head. :( I hope she feels better soon, and her rheumatologist can find the right combination of meds and PT for her. <3

Thanks! Yes we invested in Orthotics after her most recent physical therapy round ;) She's been pretty good since, only needing one adjustment so far and her feet feeling MUCH better!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back