Off Topic Book recommendations for age 10 girl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 10 yo daughter just finished (read in 2 days) The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

She has also recently enjoyed: The Dork Diaries, Chasing Vermeer, Encyclopdia Brown

She has but has not read yet: The Cricket in Times Square, Nancy Drew Diaries

Here is a link to my favorite book search tool: http://www.arbookfind.com/
You can use the quick and advanced search tabs for individual books, but to find new and interesting books for my kiddos to read, I use the collections tab. When you see the ATOS book level, these numbers reflect the grade level a student reads at (5.0 = fifth grade zero month).

Favorites:
  • Harry Potter series
  • Percy Jackson series
  • Secrets, Lies and Algebra
  • Keeper of The Lost Cities
  • The BFG
  • Banner In The Sky
  • My Side of The Mountain
Currently reading:
  • Obi series

Bridge to Terbithia by Katherine Paterson. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. My 10 year old has also read all the Harry Potter books and loved them. When I was little I read Okee the Otter and loved it, can't remember author. that is very light, comical, and non-fiction.

I'm looking for some summer reading fare for DD. She has already read the Dork Diaries and Wimpy Kid series. I'm going to catch her up on the last half of Ivy and Bean.

Any other suggestions? She doesn't tend to like anything "fantasy" and while she loves doing gym, doesn't ever seem interested in reading books about it.
We loved Judy Blume!

My dd loved The Worst Gymnast by Thalia Kalkipsakis. There is also a series of books called Girl meets Ghosts they are by Lauren Barnholdt. The whatever after series by Saeah Mlynowski, Allie Finkles rules for girls by Meg Cabot.

I'm looking for some summer reading fare for DD. She has already read the Dork Diaries and Wimpy Kid series. I'm going to catch her up on the last half of Ivy and Bean.

Any other suggestions? She doesn't tend to like anything "fantasy" and while she loves doing gym, doesn't ever seem interested in reading books about it.

I am a huge reader and always have been so I have a huge list of books for you! I loved fantasy so some of my suggestions might not be her cup of tea but tried to steer clear of fantasy in recommendations

The Girl in the Cave - Anthony Eaton
A series of unfortunate events - Lemony snicket
The BFG - Roald Dahl
Matilda - Roald Dahl
James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl
Basically anything by Roald Dahl
The Spiderwick Chronicles - Can't remember author (didn't read past the first book s i found the book was too short for my liking - i like long books)
Milly Molly Mandy - Joyce Lankester Brisley
Tashi series - Anna and Barbara Fienberg and Kim Gamble
Clarice bean books - Lauren Child
Chinese Cinderella - Adeline Yen Mah

Good reads is a good website where you can enter books read and it will give you recommendations based on read books which should lead you to some good books :)

Seeing if you had her read any of these books and how she likes them! Also suggesting the good reads website!

Yes, she read some but nothing has really clicked yet. There was one story set in Germany about a clockmaker but that was a bit creepy for right before bedtime. And we tried The Runaways but she just couldn't get into it.

But I made a master list in a Word document and we'll just keep plugging away until some things click.

My 10 year old is very into John Green at the moment - Fault in our stars is my favourite, also read Looking for alaska, Paper Towns, Will Grayson.
She loved Lemony Snicket books a couple of years ago. Also Spiderwick Chronicles.
Warriors is an all time favourite and all still re-read.
But she is finally moving away from pure fantasy and enjoying autobiographies (loved Kathy Freeman's autobiography and Zlata's Diary by a girl in the Bosnian war) and books with people in them, lol.
She really loved the Divergent Series, liked Hunger Games but not as much. Loved the Maze runner series (I really enjoyed them but gave up on the last one for a break as found it too much).
Others she has read recently I can think of, Legends series, City of Embers series.

I loved the dear america books when I was a kid my kids are not quite at the age of chapter books so I am not too familiar with newer ones. Also the classics like secret garden, little princess, little house on the prairie.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back