Parents Book recommendations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone recommend a good book for parents on gymnastics? I'm thinking something like the "Idiots Guide to...." type book, something I can use to quickly find out the difference between a kip, hip circle, mill circle, etc. Something that would give a gym term and then an easy to understand description of it or even PHOTOS! :rolleyes:

I did do a quick search on Amazon that turned up SO many hits I have no idea where to start!

Thanks in advance.....

LOL, I said the SAME thing last year when my daughter started L4. I even did a google search for "gymnastics for dummies" (hint for any coaches reading this with good writting skills) with no luck! Then I stumbled onto this site. I've learned so much and received so much support and think I finally know the names of all level 4 skills now, LOL

As another poster mentioned, Gymnastics revolution also allows you to see each skill being do properly. And when all else fails, go to youtube to see the routines!

Check out this site too....

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Gymnastics-2245/

It allows you to ask an expert & I've learned so much from other people's questions and coaches responses!

Last edited:
That's funny, Rick is one of the "experts" on that allexperts site and he is my FAVORITE! I am a Rick groupie... love his responses & look for them daily. His outlook is so honest and funny, he must be an awesome coach! I'll have to check out his book.

Depending on what you want to spend, you can buy the JO Compulsory guide from USAG for about $45. It details every routine on every event for levels 1-6. It includes written descriptions of all the skills, line drawings of each skill and the possible deductions. It's really a very helpful book.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back