Parents Booster Funds Distribution

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PRY9

Proud Parent
Our Booster Club board only has parents whose kiddos are at the highest levels. The vast majority of funds are distributed in ways that benefit these families only. (ex - checks for travel expenses for far away competitions that most don't go to) Every family is required to pay an annual membership fee and is expected to volunteer time and more money throughout the year and participate in multiple fundraisers. I was told we are "paying it forward" and we will benefit in the future when ours is at that level. As we all know, most never make it to the highest levels for various reasons. Is this common? I'm very annoyed by this, but I am worried my daughter will be penalized if I make too much of a stink about it. I think recently though there have been rumblings by other families - because an email came out asking for suggestions from the "lower level families" as to how we think the boosters could help us too. I am baffled how they could need to be told "give us our share of the money!" ; ) Any suggestions of how to handle this without getting blackballed?

I'm trying to understand... you pay into your quota, you do fundraising, you work meets... and then all of that money is paid to cover the expenses for the higher level girls and you still have to pay for your uniforms, meet entries, and coaches' session fees? Or you do all of that and a higher % of the money is used for the higher level girls; but your stuff is at least covered? Or you pay quota that covers your DD's actual expenses; but then all of the fundraising and such that you are required to do just covers stuff for the higher level girls?

Personally, I do think that the fundraising should be spread to evenly cut everyone's expenses. For your actual situation I'd need a little better understanding of what is going on.

For our booster club, the higher levels do get more, but the money is distributed as needed. So everyone, regardless of level, xcel/compulsary/optional, girls/boys, gets uniforms, meet fees, usag fee, coach fees, travel fees for coach, travel fees for gymnast paid as it is. We have been able to pay in full most years. Now, for things like camps, everyone gets the same amount.

So it is not equal, but everyone gets all of their things paid.

Pretty sure booster club money has to benefit everyone equally...

This isn’t exactly accurate, from what I understand. It would be impossible to make this happen. Let’s say the booster club pays meet fees and 50% of travel expenses for everyone that qualifies for nationals. First, not everyone will qualify and second, not all levels have nationals. So in that case, a higher level is benefitting more. This is allowed.

What they can’t do is say that we will pay 50% of Susie’s fees for nationals but none or a different percent of Mary’s fees for nationals, even though they both qualified.

If only the higher levels attend travel meets, then the lower levels are not going to have any travel covered, because there are no travel fees.

I think some amount of pay it forward is typical for the reasons kayjaybe mentions. Also I always thought (although I do not know the precise laws on this) that a financially healthy and well run booster is probably operating with a budget plan that encompasses a reasonable degree of covering/planning for the future- so not everything made this year gets used in that same year. But I may not have that right.

If all the parents on the board are parents of high level gymnasts, and you think this is leading to malfeasance, then it might make sense to volunteer to be on the board? Also board meetings should be public and publicized, also you should have access to the financial info. (What is coming in and what is going out, and for what.)

How much do you know about the competition costs per level? I think that typically boosters pay for much more than gymnast travel costs. Do they pay for meet fees? Coach pay for meets? Per diem and hotels for coaches (even a close by meet, if the coach is there from early am to late pm, especially over more than one day, paying for accommodations for the coach would be normal, plus a coach has travel and per diem expenses even if they drive.) I also once heard that coaches need to be insured to work meets, (in case they get hurt, I guess?) but I do not know more about that.

On the other hand, should a booster take into account that a lower level kid's competition costs are less? Ours does. The volunteer requirements are the same for every family, and for every gymnast the family is assessed an annual fee to make up the difference between anticipated costs and anticipated income from fundraising. But these annual assessments are different for different levels, with the parents of lower level gymnasts paying less than upper ones.

Thanks for your input. Intentionally being vague as to not be identifiable, but I will try to elaborate more. We all travel but to varying extents. DD's level- in state three times and twice out of state (in addition to locals). No travel expenses reimbursed. Higher levels do travel more and therefore have more expenses. I would understand if they came up with some amount/% they would pay that seemed equitable. Funding difference - T-shirt and good luck pizza party or goodie bag vs check for $500-$800.

2G1B - I don't have any actual numbers, because they are not very transparent, I would say we get out less than what we put in between annual dues, donations and what our family personally spends on fundraisers - not to mention our time.

Kayjaybe - What if paying 50% of travel expenses for everyone that qualifies for nationals takes all of the fundraising profits? Is it still allowed? (that's not the case here, but wondering...)

I think some amount of pay it forward is typical for the reasons kayjaybe mentions. Also I always thought (although I do not know the precise laws on this) that a financially healthy and well run booster is probably operating with a budget plan that encompasses a reasonable degree of covering/planning for the future- so not everything made this year gets used in that same year. But I may not have that right.

If all the parents on the board are parents of high level gymnasts, and you think this is leading to malfeasance, then it might make sense to volunteer to be on the board? Also board meetings should be public and publicized, also you should have access to the financial info. (What is coming in and what is going out, and for what.)

How much do you know about the competition costs per level? I think that typically boosters pay for much more than gymnast travel costs. Do they pay for meet fees? Coach pay for meets? Per diem and hotels for coaches (even a close by meet, if the coach is there from early am to late pm, especially over more than one day, paying for accommodations for the coach would be normal, plus a coach has travel and per diem expenses even if they drive.) I also once heard that coaches need to be insured to work meets, (in case they get hurt, I guess?) but I do not know more about that.

On the other hand, should a booster take into account that a lower level kid's competition costs are less? Ours does. The volunteer requirements are the same for every family, and for every gymnast the family is assessed an annual fee to make up the difference between anticipated costs and anticipated income from fundraising. But these annual assessments are different for different levels, with the parents of lower level gymnasts paying less than upper ones.

I have volunteered to be on the board. It's very cliquish and there hasn't been a parent on the board at my DD's level in the three years we've been there. Board meetings are held quarterly and they are open - but they are more of announcements. All of decisions are already made.

So, if the club is a 501c3 there are lots of red flags. If not, they are probably operating within legal limits based on their bylaws. Are you a 501c3

Thanks for your input. Intentionally being vague as to not be identifiable, but I will try to elaborate more. We all travel but to varying extents. DD's level- in state three times and twice out of state (in addition to locals). No travel expenses reimbursed. Higher levels do travel more and therefore have more expenses. I would understand if they came up with some amount/% they would pay that seemed equitable. Funding difference - T-shirt and good luck pizza party or goodie bag vs check for $500-$800.

2G1B - I don't have any actual numbers, because they are not very transparent, I would say we get out less than what we put in between annual dues, donations and what our family personally spends on fundraisers - not to mention our time.

Kayjaybe - What if paying 50% of travel expenses for everyone that qualifies for nationals takes all of the fundraising profits? Is it still allowed? (that's not the case here, but wondering...)
What I think @2G1B was asking:
1. Do they cover your uniforms or do you pay for those apart from the booster club?
2. Do they pay your meet fees or do you get a separate bill from those?
3. Do they pay coaches session fees or are those a separate bill?
4. Are all the above basics covered, but the money above these basics goes to the higher level girls?

Is the booster a 501c3? If not, then the booster is not obligated to disperse the funds as a nonprofit would. If the booster is a 501c3, they are legally obligated to disperse the booster funds in accordance to tax law and the booster’s bylaws.

A common misconception is that boosters must distribute funds equally to all beneficiaries. This is not the case. Funds must be distributed equitably, which may mean that some beneficiaries may receive more than others. In the case of gymnastics, the expenses of competing in upper levels is usually far more than the compulsory levels. Therefore, the upper level gymnasts have a higher need than compulsory gymnasts. For example, if the bylaws allow the board to decide how the funds are distributed, and the board decides that 50% of meet fees for the season will be paid for all competitive gymnasts, gymnasts at higher levels will receive a larger portion of the funds. If the board decides that the booster will pay 50% of the meet fees for gymnasts traveling to meets further than 200 miles away, an even smaller portion of gymnasts will receive funds.

Joining your booster’s board is a great way to be influential in the decisions on how fundraising proceeds are spent. Ask for the booster’s bylaws to see how board members are appointed or elected. If you feel that other parents will support you, run for a position on the board. I would guess that there are many more lower level gymnasts than upper level, so you will probably find that you have a lot of support.

Also, check the bylaws for how decisions are supposed to be made. Most decisions require a vote, even if the vote is only participated in by board members. If they are not voting on decisions at meetings, then you should ask why.

And if the board is giving the lower levels t-shirts and pizza parties, but the upper level gymnasts are having some of their fees paid for by the booster, then you should definitely speak up. While it may mean my daughter will only receive $15-20 off her meet fees, I’d much rather the booster put that money toward the meet fees than a shirt and pizza party.

And FYI: If the booster is a 501c3, they cannot require parents to pay for booster membership, fundraise on the booster’s behalf, or contribute in any way. The booster is legally required to distribute funds regardless of the parent or child’s involvement in the booster.

Yes - 501C3
We pay items 1-3 separately.
They do pay for some things that benefit everyone - back to school, Halloween & Christmas party, t shirts, good luck goody bag. The majority of the money goes to the higher level girls.

Is the booster a 501c3? If not, then the booster is not obligated to disperse the funds as a nonprofit would. If the booster is a 501c3, they are legally obligated to disperse the booster funds in accordance to tax law and the booster’s bylaws.

A common misconception is that boosters must distribute funds equally to all beneficiaries. This is not the case. Funds must be distributed equitably, which may mean that some beneficiaries may receive more than others. In the case of gymnastics, the expenses of competing in upper levels is usually far more than the compulsory levels. Therefore, the upper level gymnasts have a higher need than compulsory gymnasts. For example, if the bylaws allow the board to decide how the funds are distributed, and the board decides that 50% of meet fees for the season will be paid for all competitive gymnasts, gymnasts at higher levels will receive a larger portion of the funds. If the board decides that the booster will pay 50% of the meet fees for gymnasts traveling to meets further than 200 miles away, an even smaller portion of gymnasts will receive funds.

Joining your booster’s board is a great way to be influential in the decisions on how fundraising proceeds are spent. Ask for the booster’s bylaws to see how board members are appointed or elected. If you feel that other parents will support you, run for a position on the board. I would guess that there are many more lower level gymnasts than upper level, so you will probably find that you have a lot of support.

Also, check the bylaws for how decisions are supposed to be made. Most decisions require a vote, even if the vote is only participated in by board members. If they are not voting on decisions at meetings, then you should ask why.

And if the board is giving the lower levels t-shirts and pizza parties, but the upper level gymnasts are having some of their fees paid for by the booster, then you should definitely speak up. While it may mean my daughter will only receive $15-20 off her meet fees, I’d much rather the booster put that money toward the meet fees than a shirt and pizza party.

And FYI: If the booster is a 501c3, they cannot require parents to pay for booster membership, fundraise on the booster’s behalf, or contribute in any way. The booster is legally required to distribute funds regardless of the parent or child’s involvement in the booster.

So if the board is only made up of level 8, 9 & 10 parents and the board decides they want to pay as much as they can toward level 8, 9 & 10 meet fees and travel expenses, regardless of how much that leaves for 7 & under, that is okay?

So if the board is only made up of level 8, 9 & 10 parents and the board decides they want to pay as much as they can toward level 8, 9 & 10 meet fees and travel expenses, regardless of how much that leaves for 7 & under, that is okay?

It would depend on how the booster’s bylaws are written. Tax law and the booster’s bylaws dictate who and how spending decisions are made. Having a booster’s board only be made up of parents of upper level gymnasts when the booster gives the most money to upper level gymnasts is a conflict of interest at best, but may be in violation of 501c3 code if they are not making decisions in accordance to the booster’s bylaws or not allowing parents from other levels the opportunity to join the board and take part in the decision making process. But if only upper level parents run for a position on the board every year, then those are the people that get to make decisions on how booster funds are spent. Like I said, your best bet to have influence on spending decisions is to join the board.

But if it bothers you and joining the board is not an option, don’t fundraise for the booster. Don’t pay for a booster membership. Just pay for your gymnast’s fees on your own and relish the extra time you have to do other things. As a 501c3, they cannot legally obligate beneficiaries to participate, fundraise, or pay membership fees (unless they are board members, ironically enough).

realistically, each level or training team (if you have more than one level training together) should be represented on the board. This allows for all teams to have a voice and makes it easier for parents to voice concerns (through their rep). That is the first thing I would recommend.

If you are a 501c (double check on that as many think their BC is a 501c but in fact they are not) then they cannot require you to pay, volunteer, participate in any form and they still must distribute the funds regardless of participation. If they are requiring all these, then they are in violation of the law.

Technically, yes. The bylaws can be written in such a way that it excludes the lower levels by stating only regional/national meets are reimbursable. However, I do not think a 501C is allowed to base distribution on meet cost, distance, or level. It has to be specifically related to a more global standard such as regional/national meets. In this way you are not excluding based on a choice that the gym owner makes (distance of the meets) but rather on the level of attainment the gymnast meets in a season (making it to regionals).

As to whether your bc is being fair - I suppose it really depends on how large your BC is. If it is very large (you host meets, have 100+ members, etc) then your current policy doesn't fly in my book but if it is a small BC that doesn't take in much money, it makes more sense to help the upper level gymnasts get to those post season meets, since that means they are representing your gym, which is a good thing for college, gymnasts looking to switch gyms, etc.

Last edited:
Pretty sure booster club money has to benefit everyone equally...
Not exactly. It can be used for certain expenses for specific comeptetion etc. But must apply to all who acheive that level.
From USAG "
This
is actually a common scenario, as
Booster Clubs
often apply
funds to gymnasts who achieve a certain level (e.g., Levels 9 and 10)
and
who qualify for a national competition (such as the J.O. Western
or National Championships), or other Elite or qualifying competitions."

here is a power point with more details on Booster Clubs: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Member Services/webinars/dec14.pdf

It sounds like they have asked "lower level" parents for ideas on how to make booster spending more equitable? So, can you go to a board meeting and give some ideas? I would not suggest using e-mail. This should probably be a back and forth conversation and e-mail is problematic for this at best.

I know it is tempting to see the current board as the enemy who is taking all the goods for themselves. But the reality is almost certainly much more complex. If this is a long standing policy of the booster, then those parents were all once where you are now, and now after years of contributing to the booster they are finally getting something back. So they may think the current circumstance is entirely fair. On the other hand, they are asking for feedback, it sounds like. So maybe they are realizing that there may be changes that could be made that would help more parents feel positive about the booster. And the more positivity about a booster there is, the better for everyone.

My family has experienced the good, bad and ugly sides of a gymnastics booster- all with the same booster club. When needed, change can happen and positive change can make being part of a booster a positive experience. It happened at our gym, where we went from a gym with an openly despised booster system to a gym with a booster that parents are for the most part entirely happy to volunteer for and support (even though as pointed out above, we cannot legally be compelled to fundraise etc. the vast majority of parents do.)

But this does not mean every penny will be spent in a way you think is entirely equitable. However the booster should at least be able to show you clearly what the benefits of the booster are- where the money goes. If they are not transparent about income and expenses, that is a problem.

I also think it would help to think about a variety of ways that the booster or the gym could save parents money when it comes to competition costs.

It sounds like the booster is currently only paying for parties and travel- and the travel it pays for is only for gymnasts at certain levels while there are still travel meets for lower level gymnasts? While this may be strictly legal, I can see how this would lead to parents of lower level gymnasts becoming resentful. If this is a long standing policy, I would imagine there have been complaints before. So, maybe talk about how elaborate are these parties that the booster pays for? Is this an aspect of the team experience that is important for everyone? Or could that money or some of it, be used for something else?

Or could travel costs be more equitably divided so lower level gymnasts get some travel paid for?

Or could the team as a whole (or just the lower levels with no travel expense reimbursement) not travel so much for meets?

Or is there some other expense aside travel that the booster could start paying for that would benefit all the gymnasts?

As far as fear of reprisal- First I think people generally respond to reasonable questions and suggestions better than angry statements and complaints. So maybe you can think about how to frame your concerns in a way that keeps the conversation civil- obviously you cannot help how someone reacts, but if you keep your cool, people will usually see and appreciate that. Also, while I am not saying it could not happen, a booster board should not be able to penalize your child. How exactly? If the booster is influencing decisions on a gymnast's treatment by coaches or their progress, you have bigger problems than possible unfair allotment of travel costs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back