Parents Both my girls had highest AA scores (personal best:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
There goal for this meet wat to have a better AA score! and they Made there goal!
(I usually have them focus on 1 thing to improve on a meet , like younger dd I had suggested her goal be to get her dismount, she has a gorgous one at practices but in meets she does not get it! oh well!)
anyhow younger dd has never gotten higher than a 29 well today she got 30.775
older dd her first meet (this was her 2nd:) was a 31 this meet she got 33.0
they did soo GREAT!!

On another note , any ideas to help a child who seems to get anxiety when she is competing ? while her coach does not want them to have ipods we are thinking of letting her have it for music to listen to before that is calming and such so get her mind more focused!
any other ideas to help maybe? We are convinced that if her anxiety was not there soo bad at least she would have better scores and she would SLOW down (that is one of the main things that is screwing with her getting better scores.)

Congrats to your DDs. What an accomplishment. Im sure they are both on cloud 9. As far as things to calm the nerves I really am of no help. My DD is just starting in this whole thing so everything is new to me. Not sure what is allowed and isnt on the floor. The listening to calming music before sounds like a great idea and something you could def try. I will be interested in seeing what others say are things they/their DD/DS do to calm nerves..so if and when this does become and issue I have ideas.

WTG!! I love to hear great things like this.

As far at the anxiety goes well if you find something you could make a million on that one LOL. I think everyone has some level of anxiety. I wouldn't do the iPod if the coach already said no because if she allows your DD then the whole team would need to be allowed. Maybe read a book if she is into reading or practice some relaxation techniques before every event. I'm sure if you suggest that to the coach they would be happy to try some.

Slowing down is a hard thing to break just like speeding up (my DD's issue on beam). Eventually the coach will get her to where she needs to be. just relax and enjoy what she does for now. At L2 and L4 you are just at the beginning levels and by the time the get to L6 or L7 they will have more maturity and confidence and alot of the things you are worried about will disappear.

Congrats to both your girls! I think listening to the calming music beforehand is a good idea and also maybe some calming yoga stretches? Also making sure they get a good night's sleep always helps!

Congrats to both your girls! They are still young, so don't worry about the nerves. Some outgrow it, others merely learn to cope. I think one thing that might help is just the approach pre-meet. Instead of looking to obtain a higher score, or even to improve a skill, just tell them both to take a deep breath before they start each event (very purposefully - sometimes when they're younger they rush right into the routine, which then just keeps that nervous adrenaline racing...) and have them think of their best practice routine. If they think of what they do in practice, instead of focusing on how they need to do at the meet, it may help ease the stress of performing under different conditions. Meets really are just a way for gymmies to showcase - have them think of it that way.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Awesome!!! That is great. Always great to make goals!

As for nerves I think every child is different. I remember DD5's 1st meet, she was crying complaining of her stomach hurting. I was crying, we were both a nervous wreck. I remember another mom taking her to the side and talking to her. It really helped, she went out on the floor and began to warm up. Sometimes it takes someone other then parents to calm them down. Also, DD5 used to end her floor routine about 30 sec before it should have. Last meet she actually ended on time and her score showed it. I think it just takes them "getting" the whole slowing down thing! This probably doesn't help much :(

Congrats to both girls!! They must be so proud. :) As for the anxiety, if she can't listen to the ipod at the meet, maybe she can listen to it before she gets there. My daughter has a playlist on my ipod that she listens to in the car before a meet. Also, maybe once your daughter gets more comfortable with the routines, it will help ease the anxiety.

Congratulations to both your girls. having small goals i believe is a key to succeeding in life, not just gymnastics.

As for anxiety, I'm sure as your dd matures she will learn to handle it better. However, visualization, as someone up thread mentioned, is an invaluable tool for anybody. Teach her to see the routines in the head - in slow motion, and to feel it through her body. I swear that once my dd mastered using her visualization her focus and her scores took off.

Congrats to both of them! My girls compete tomorrow...last "regular" meet of the year. We too are hoping for improving on AA scores for both but judging is hard at this meet so we will see.
My older DD who is 10 deals with nerves by telling herself over and over..."I CAN do it and I WILL do it". Younger DD is not old enough to be nervous yet, I don't think. Music would be great, but ipods are not allowed for us, either. I think that they all learn their own way of self-talk, or tuning out, or watching others' routines. Your DD will probably develop this as she gets more experience.

Thanks!! her coach is the one who said her ipod since she knows she has it! tho I have a small mp3 player (cheap one ) so I may put some music on that for her and have her try it out at the gym , who knows!
I am a stickler for rest the night before meets (the week before actually as much as I can with school and gymnastics:)
but we are thinking she may have some real anxiety issues since I know dh sisters have anxiety and need to be medicated (tho I will try other things before I use meds for this, since I prefer to avoid if a natural alternative is found.

I am just soo proud of them for getting up there and giving it there best!

Congrats to your dds! Must be a relief to have them both do so well.

Getting into the 30s is a huge accomplishment for your younger dd and increasing AA by 2 points in a single meet is a huge accomplishment for your older dd.

Way to go! :)

Thanks gymjoy! it is a HUGE accomplishment for younger dd! this is her 2nd year of competing and well she has yet to break 30!
also her first time to get all her scores read at the gym when they do it! (they do not read scores that are under 7)

and I forgot to add that oldest dd got the 2nd highest score on bars of her team!! this is the kid who had to work super hard to get where she is (younger dd works super hard as well but the skills come easier to her , she needs to work on form! :)

Congrats to them!!!

As to the anxiety issue, maybe the coach could work with her to close her eyes and take deep breaths 1 or 2 girls before her turn. Maybe have her make up a little mantra to repeat to herself in her head over and over to clear her mind a bit, give her a chance to relax and focus. Also make sure she isn't putting too much stress upon herself about the meets, talk to her and see what she is so anxious about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back