MAG Boys levels 8-10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
I was just curious if someone could give me a little overview of the higher levels in the boys JO program and sort of the typical progression. Around here is seems typical for boys to do some skipping ahead and I've heard some not nice descriptions of level 8. So I guess I'm just wondering what the differences between 8, 9, and 10 are. What are the element requirements for each? What would typical level 9 skills for a 12 year old be?

Thanks!

I was just curious if someone could give me a little overview of the higher levels in the boys JO program and sort of the typical progression. Around here is seems typical for boys to do some skipping ahead and I've heard some not nice descriptions of level 8. So I guess I'm just wondering what the differences between 8, 9, and 10 are. What are the element requirements for each? What would typical level 9 skills for a 12 year old be?

Thanks!

In the rules? The only real differences between 8&9 are 1) you need a B dismount at level 9, whereas an A is fine at 8, 2) you get full credit for skills with a D-or-higher value, whereas such skills are credited as C's at 8, 3) you can compete yurchenkos at level 9, and 4) you can go to nationals at level 9 (in the 12-13 age group).

Beyond that, the difference varies widely from region to region, from state to state, and from gym to gym. I've seen level 8s who were basically level 6's plus an arabian on floor. I've seen some level 8s who could easily have competed level 9 or 10, but don't have any Ds in their routines so they stay at 8. What level a guy "should" be at for a particular skill level is at present pretty nebulous.

Thanks!

I thought the answer would be something like that. My ds has switched gyms and at his old gym, level 8 was looked down upon and guys who were younger and talented would go from 7 to 9. At his new gym, they don't seem to do level 7 and have one guy going from 6 to 9. He's doing 6 this year and would like to go 8 or 9 next year and I was just wondering which is realistic, but it sounds like it's more coach's preference. He's not going to be doing Ds next year, maybe a few Cs. I'm thinking Yurchenko will likely be the vault entry for him, but I don't know that I seem him being there next year. Is a FHS or Yama****a passable in level 8?

On vault, you get all sorts.

I've seen Level 10s who still compete a front handspring, and I've seen level 8s who compete a layout kazamatsu.

Here's the thing...L7 is a big jump from L6 that many boys aren't ready for. So if they are 12 or 13, you can have them do L8 and they can do a couple events or AA vs getting their brains beat out in L7. L8 is sort of set up as a place for older boys to start or train if they don't want to compete the lower levels such as L4 or 5 (and be surrounded by all the munchkins).

All the other comments are spot on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back