Parents Brag Alert....Level 5 38.5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HA HA HA HA!!!! Mine will never see THAT either!!!

LOL my L5 DD will never see the 38 in score or in bra size, unless she has surgical help when she is older!

I know we are supposed to "stop" with this thread, and now we are on to talking about bras and such, but I want to say something. I think lovofu's DD is remarkable. I have been watching her since her L4 videos. I have been drawn to her since she is from China and my youngest two daughters were adopted from Guatemala, and share the beautiful dark hair and striking features with Sophia. She has already overcome many obstacles, being adopted and moving to a new country and culture. Adoption issues are of course far from the scope of this board, but they definitely are part of this child's, and my childrens' lives. So, while miss Sophia is not struggling with gym, she does have struggles of her own. Having something to excel at is so wonderful, and important for kids like Sophia to help build their own identity. (as it is for all kids, but more so for those who may not know much about their past).

I for one would like to get to know her gymnastics story more, beyond the crazy high scores (which she undoubtedly deserves). Maybe there isn't much of a story beyond that yet since she has mainly had huge successes. I would love for lovofu to continue to share the whole story, and not just meet results. It's more natural to celebrate successes with someone who you feel you "know". I can't say that I feel like I "know" lovofu beyond the meet posts. I think it's also good for all of us to try to identify and support everyone, whether it is a L2 gymmie or a L10 gymmie or an injured gymmie or someone who is struggling with an ugly BHS. Even if you have no words of advice, it's always nice to read a simple "way to go" or "good luck" or "I'm sorry" post. It's also great to be able to offer support to someone whose DD had a bad practice, or an issue at a meet, or whatever. Those are the posters who I feel like I "know", and when I get to celebrate something with them, I feel like I'm celebrating something with a friend.

Oh, almost forgot...congrats to Sophia on a really spectacular meet. I am sure she will be great at L6 or whatever she moves on to!

Last edited:
Thank goodness I wasn't drinking my soda when reading this. Blackie would've owed me a computer screen. :)

My "challenged" and "struggling" daughter would love that beam score! I'm afraid the only 38 she will see is maybe a bra size, LOL!

I actually tried to like this one twice. I think "like" should be able to be used multiple times in cases like this. LOL.

LOL my L5 DD will never see the 38 in score or in bra size, unless she has surgical help when she is older!

I know we are supposed to "stop" with this thread, and now we are on to talking about bras and such, but I want to say something. I think lovofu's DD is remarkable. I have been watching her since her L4 videos. I have been drawn to her since she is from China and my youngest two daughters were adopted from Guatemala, and share the beautiful dark hair and striking features with Sophia. She has already overcome many obstacles, being adopted and moving to a new country and culture. Adoption issues are of course far from the scope of this board, but they definitely are part of this child's, and my childrens' lives. So, while miss Sophia is not struggling with gym, she does have struggles of her own. Having something to excel at is so wonderful, and important for kids like Sophia to help build their own identity. (as it is for all kids, but more so for those who may not know much about their past).

I for one would like to get to know her gymnastics story more, beyond the crazy high scores (which she undoubtedly deserves). Maybe there isn't much of a story beyond that yet since she has mainly had huge successes. I would love for lovofu to continue to share the whole story, and not just meet results. It's more natural to celebrate successes with someone who you feel you "know". I can't say that I feel like I "know" lovofu beyond the meet posts. I think it's also good for all of us to try to identify and support everyone, whether it is a L2 gymmie or a L10 gymmie or an injured gymmie or someone who is struggling with an ugly BHS. Even if you have no words of advice, it's always nice to read a simple "way to go" or "good luck" or "I'm sorry" post. It's also great to be able to offer support to someone whose DD had a bad practice, or an issue at a meet, or whatever. Those are the posters who I feel like I "know", and when I get to celebrate something with them, I feel like I'm celebrating something with a friend.

Oh, almost forgot...congrats to Sophia on a really spectacular meet. I am sure she will be great at L6 or whatever she moves on to!
Kudoos to yo you Maddigym 00! Although I was born here in the U.S. My heritage is from Guatemala. Thank you for reaching out and nurturing your two daughters. Many children in Guatemala are struggling.

Oh it just didn't read like moving on, it read like your opinion on Sharks pointed post.
Nope... just saying and so moved on. Adding on, forget the kids... I NEED that 38 bra size- It's ridiculus!! I look like a kid myself!

In defense of the OP, having seen her at meets this year and last, you would hardly know who her daughter is bc this mama cheers full on and LOUD for every child on their team whether placing 1st or last. Most teams and parents could learn a lesson from the genuine team spirit this team and mama have. She is chatty and friendly to parents from other teams and I think she is probably genuinely just a real swell lady.

Luv, I think the other parents just want to feel connected to you in an everyday way, not just a meet report way. It's easy having not seen you inperson for them to just think you are a braggart. Having seen you, you seem really nice and genuine, you just happen to have a talented child with VERY good coaches in a small program where they can give lots of attention to the girls.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks Nevertoold.

I have been reading along but have not posted. My DD will never see a 38 bra size, sorry kiddo !!! Doubt the 38 AA will arrive either. She did manage a 37.2 this past weekend, I almost fell over.

I am glad to hear that Lovofu is a team player and a cheerleader for the whole team. i think as parents we can all understand that all children have challenges. some are just different struggles and may not seem likr a struggle to someone else. my DD struggles with tight h& straight legs. just so hard for her to maje het legs straight. i think, at this point anyway, Sophias struggly will be jealousy h& unreasonable expectations. we hace a girl s@ our gym who gets 38+ @ every meet prwtty much. itvis just a given. i almost feel bad for her sometimes, tge weight of expected perfection. nobidy says anything but it is just expected that she will win. and its fine when she doesnt but i think she struggles with it..

i hope for the best for Sophia h& i hope OP is as nevertpold says and will join in more and cheer on our "average" gymmies along the way she does her daughters teammates. you dont have to have great advice to give a parent of a struggking gymmie a.cyber hug. just as maybe the rest of us can make OP not so alienated.

Thanks Nevertoold.

I have been reading along but have not posted. My DD will never see a 38 bra size, sorry kiddo !!! Doubt the 38 AA will arrive either. She did manage a 37.2 this past weekend, I almost fell over.

I am glad to hear that Lovofu is a team player and a cheerleader for the whole team. i think as parents we can all understand that all children have challenges. some are just different struggles and may not seem likr a struggle to someone else. my DD struggles with tight h& straight legs. just so hard for her to maje het legs straight. i think, at this point anyway, Sophias struggly will be jealousy h& unreasonable expectations. we hace a girl s@ our gym who gets 38+ @ every meet prwtty much. itvis just a given. i almost feel bad for her sometimes, tge weight of expected perfection. nobidy says anything but it is just expected that she will win. and its fine when she doesnt but i think she struggles with it..

i hope for the best for Sophia h& i hope OP is as nevertpold says and will join in more and cheer on our "average" gymmies along the way she does her daughters teammates. you dont have to have great advice to give a parent of a struggking gymmie a.cyber hug. just as maybe the rest of us can make OP not so alienated.

I love all of the brag posts and enjoy the seeing the kid's videos. I hope that in a couple of years I'll have video of one of ZZ's meets to share! Sophia is a beautiful gymnast. My little ZZ also spent most of her first year in an orphanage in China and faces many struggles that aren't apparent to most of the people who meet her. I'm sure that Sophia has many as well so your post about her courage facing the vault really struck home with me.

Best wishes,

ZZMom

I saw nothing wrong with Lovufo's opinion.

As a Coach, if one of my athletes OR one of my daughters scored lower than I thought, darn sure I'd be surprised too. Would people frown upon me for supporting my athlete's/daughter's GOOD gymnastics? Whether it was a 9.4 or a 6.4, she was just surprised it was not a bit higher ...and to be honest, so was I. It was a very clean routine, and it was good level 5 gymnastics. I do not think her intention was to turn her nose in the air and demean the score, it was just what she said...sheer surprise!

Hang in there Lovofu

I have been trying to figure out what to say. I, too, was hoping that lovofu was not questioning a 9.45. I agree 100% with what GJM just posted. It was what I was feeling but not knowing how to put it.

Sophia is a lovely and very talented little gymnast, but I will be honest in saying that I would love to see lovofu participate more here on the forums and not just post brags (and I see nothing wrong with brag posts, but if you are going to post a brag, go and check out some other brags and comment on their gymmie, too!) and disappear until Sophia's next meet. When I see a parent post and practically complain about a 9.45 (she got 1st place with that score, so obviously judging was tough and consistent), it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

What's wrong with questioning a score that you didn't understand? I don't see that as not being humble. I questioned why my DD got a 9.1 on beam at her last meet. Sure many of her friends would have been thrilled with that score. For me I watched others go up and wobble and have sloppy form and get the same score or only a tenth lower and it didn't make sense to me. She did a better routine skillwise, formwise and presentation wise. Come to find out she got a deduction for going overtime though there was never a 2nd ding and she didn't salute.

To be able to survive as a gymnast (and gym parent) for the long haul, there needs to be humility (and lots of it) because as we all know, the gymnastics journey can end in an instant.

I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions that this person is not humble just because she questioned her DD's score. I found nothing in her post lacking humility.

I haven't read this whole thread, but obviously it has come to my attention.

My ??? on the 9.45 was only that is was a beautiful routine.....better than any other meet this season and her "usual" score is a 9.7 or higher. I was not disappointed in the 9.45....and neither was my daughter.

Seems like the correct score to me. I have a couple of wobbles and no holds on the arabesque, scale, or dismount. I believe you have to hold the arabesque for 1 sec., the scale for 2 sec., and the dismount for 2 sec. Without the hold deductions...I have a 9.8. Great work...hold a bit longer.

I do feel very alone in this journey...other team parents treat myself and my daughter much the same.....when Sophia has a bad day at practice they are like "whatever....it's Sophia and she always earns high scores so no big deal".

You are not alone. Most of the kids (and parents) that I have coached that score extremely high have similar issues. There are just not many people that can relate to your situation.

I will tell you that managing a child with these kind of results is no less difficult than managing a child who must repeat level 4 because they can't get their kip.

Very, very true.

By the way...thank you for posting. Your daughter is doing great work.

Last edited:
This girl is a beautiful gymnast. She is a delight to watch.

I would however like to caution parents about questioning high scores. There are many types of gymnasts and many will in their lifetime never or rarley see high scores. Some gymnasts will see them often and are deserving of them. Gymnastics however is a long journey and patientce, humility, and endurance are all needed for this journey. These qualities are needed by both the gymnast and their parents.

I would like to share a story form a meet I was at with DD this weekend.

Gym A has wonderful gymnasts and very talented deserving of high scores and winning. They were a delight to watch compete but at awards it was a differnt stroy!! These lovely young gymnasts got up and were headed to the podium BEFORE their names were called! UGH! At this point I felt sorry for these young gymnasts that no one had bothered to teach them good sportsmanship. They no longer became a joy to watch. I am not the only one at this awards session who felt this way. I by the way did NOT have a gymnast competing in this meet. So jealousy was not the issue.

Now this gym is a popular one with national gymnasts and I know in the past this is not this HC's philosophy the HC is a humble person. I am hoping these gymnasts are talked to by HC when they arrive back at the gym today. A part of me lost respect for this gym and it's gymnasts after this awrds session. I will be watching them closley in future meets to see how they react at awards next time.

As parents we need to ba careful what examples we set for our kids. do we want them to only take from this world we live in or give back to it?? If we all only take what kind of world will be left for our kids??

Sorry for the digression :(

I don't find anything wrong with questioning a high score just because someone else would be glad to have that score. If my DD had scored 9.7's at every meet on an event and she did what looked like an identical routine and score lower I'd question it. It's confusing. Parents wonder what they didn't see. My friends DD was scoring high 9's on beam all season at Level 10 and at the State meet did a beautiful routine and stuck her dismount and got a lower score. We were completely confused. It was her best routine all season. She did wobble, she made all her connections etc. It turned out that she got a deduction because the coach didn't move the springboard that she used to mount the beam with. It was on the side of the beam. This was 6 years ago now, so the details are fuzzy, but I think she lost .3 or .4 for the springboard.

Did we lack humilty because we questioned her score? I think her score was like a 9.3 or 9.4. A good score no doubt, but so much lower for a great routine. We weren't lacking humilty, we were confused!

Luv, I think the other parents just want to feel connected to you in an everyday way, not just a meet report way. It's easy having not seen you inperson for them to just think you are a braggart. Having seen you, you seem really nice and genuine, you just happen to have a talented child with VERY good coaches in a small program where they can give lots of attention to the girls.

Just my $0.02.

This is exacty what I was trying to say earlier, but not sure it came out that way. I think Lovofu has lots of experiences that she could share here. Her OP came off as if that 9.45 wasn't good enough and it obviously rubbed people the wrong way. And I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that she mostly just posts videos and "brag posts" and that it doesn't seem like we really KNOW her or are connected to her.

Thanks for sharing your story about her and helping us "get to know her" through your eyes a bit.

When I spoke of "humility" in my earlier post I was referring to it as a generality. Gymnastics is a very subjective sport and as we all know the scores can be all over the place regardless of how we percieve the routine to be performed. Judges are human and also aren't perfect. Sophie's beam routine was gorgeous (as usual) but every judge will see different deductions. The 9.475 on beam was the winning 1st place score. I can understand if Sophie didn't come in 1st and you were questioning why another gymnast would have gotten a higher score, but that is not the case here. When you said in the videotape, "are you kidding me??" after her beam score was flashed I was a little bit disheartened. Sophie is just 8 and still young and scores should not be such a strong focus especially since she has swept 1st place in most events and AA for all of her meets this season. It sounded like you were upset that she didn't score higher, and I would hate for that feeling to be transferred to Sophie.

I am very glad that Sophie has that inner wisdom and good-naturedness and has good sportsmanship, because she will need that to carry her through the next years in this sport. It's easy to get caught up in the scores and to always try to "better" the scores each and every time out, but sometimes you will run into a judge that doesn't see the same things as us and what we are used to. I also think that when kids do really well on an event, word gets around and the judges are expecting to see an amazing routine, so naturally their expectations are higher. Is it fair? No not really, but it happens.

Gymnastics is a crazy sport and I have learned to accept each day and meet for what it is and move on to the next. There will be good days and bad and a lot of cruisin' smooth sailing days along the way.

Congrats to Sophie on another great meet!

There are a couple of things that I'd like to say here:

First, the actual score. I too did find the score being on the low side for that performance -- at least in today's standard for the lower levels (apparently not in all states however). But, the mere fact that the gymnast took first in that event, all is good and the judges have done their job.

Second, we are all proud parents and we all have our own expectations for our kids. Knowing what my child can perform on a certain day, I think I probably could have reacted to the beam result the same way at the spurt of the moment. Even the "???" found here was understandable. However, after viewing the video and reading the original post, several posters have called that out as an over-reaction. I tend to agree -- maybe in short of calling it unsportmanlike.

My issue is with OP's responses to these posts disregarding all their comments and taking every single one of them as an attack. I don't think anyone here doubts Sophie is a talented gymnast or her high scores are deserving. It's just that on a public forum like this where it's full of participants with all different experiences and with gymnasts performing at different levels, I also think a bit more modesty is in order. Believe me, there are plenty of very high caliber gymnasts and parents of the same here.

As a forum, CB is mostly full of posts and responses that are informative and supportive albeit the bragging that goes on here (some are very questionable). It is very low key as compared to most other sports/activity specific online communities. Frankly, because of the great job our CB mods are doing, you will never find the same level of condescension here.

To the OP, your original and first couple of posts made your point. Either try to fit in and make peace or move on (from defending your post with the same tone).

I only wanted to comment that I do understand being surprised and confused about scores that are outside of a gymnast's norm on a particular apparatus, especially if you just cannot see the reason for it (assuming you have sufficient knowledge and experience to see the most common deductions). That happened at our last meet, where one of our best beam gymnasts got a really low score. We just couldn't figure it out. Our coach thought it might have been mostly caused by her "playing it safe" on the jumps because she didn't want to fall off - she didn't have the required height etc. We couldn't imagine that adding up to 1.95 in deductions, though. We compared her to my DD, who got 7.6 thanks to a fall, lots of wobbles, a false start and a really ugly dismount (but we celebrated the dismount because she had such a hard time getting it in the first place!). Without the fall DD would have gotten probably 8.1, and this other girl's 8.05 routine was so much nicer and tighter! Oh well, sometimes it's really hard to see where the deductions come from and it can be very confusing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back