Brag! My 5 year old got her layout step-out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do understand the concern here. And I really was just a little surprised by all the initial responses. Cam practices as a Prep Xcel Bronze. She is going Silver in Jan (as long as she can continue to get over that vault - lol - she can HS over, but with the whale there, she pikes over -grrrrrr).

All our Bronze - ages 5 (yes, we have several little ones)-9, practice 3x a week, 3 hours at a time. Because these girls are new to competitive gymnastics, we need to keep it somewhat fun for them and we really try to keep them engaged. They do a lot of "games" (disguised conditioning), shaping, dance, skills, etc. They also have a long snack break. After three hours, no one wants to go home. We are trying to build a long-term love of the sport as well as self-confidence and discipline. Of course my daughter has days where she is worn out from school or whatever. And so I let her rest. My kids come with me to the gym as many other coaches have to do. That's how she got probably about half of her skills... LOL. She does not tumble for a full rotation, as none of them do. She follows the same drills as all the rest. She just happens to have a few more skills mastered.

I appreciate all your feedback. I do not feel attacked. I would much rather have the discussion openly then to ignore it.

Gymgal - Glad to hear you were at State! I hope your family had a good experience, as our gym was hosting. I thought everything went very smoothly for a State meet :) I was coordinating the flight rotations all weekend, and Cam was there most of the time as well. What gym are you guys from? I can tell you if your coach was there for sure! It was a long weekend, but we felt it went very well. And as far as titling the video goes, it does say "First lay-out step-out", and the description says "first time without a spot". I think that does express that it is not a perfected skill just yet. But I will definitely take all comments into consideration as far as future posts! I am new to this forum, so I appreciate all feedback as to protocol.

Thanks all!

just for the record, I wasn't at the meet this weekend. It was gymmomntc2e6 that posted he/she was. My dd does prep-op platinum and will compete in the spring.

But you are in NC yes? What gym?

Yes, we are in NC. Since joining CB a few years ago, I have preferred to not name dd's gym, out of respect for the gym's owner/coaches. Not that I ever say anything bad about them - just the opposite! LOL but I have always just felt better doing this.

If your gym competes prep-op Jan-April, I'm sure we have been at some of the same meets.

When I watched the video, all that came to my mind was working skills out of a power hurdle rather than the 20 step run before an attempted skill. Can you use a tumbling pass in Prep Xcel that starts with so many steps before the skill? I know this won't fly in USAG, but honestly I have no idea once you go to the other programs that exist.

When I watched the video, all that came to my mind was working skills out of a power hurdle rather than the 20 step run before an attempted skill. Can you use a tumbling pass in Prep Xcel that starts with so many steps before the skill? I know this won't fly in USAG, but honestly I have no idea once you go to the other programs that exist.

I don't know about the bronze level but I remember dd having to work on her hurdle last year in silver because she was taking too many steps for her pass. So I think there is a limit but I don't know how many. I'm sure one of the coaches will know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

At Congress this year, they announced there is no deduction for extra steps in Xcel, but we do try to stick to between 1-3 steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also....a 5 year old and a 3-hour practice? Seems a little intense at that age..

Have to say it isn't that intense, my dd was doing 3hr practice at that age, it depends on the child and if they can concentrate for that length and if there body can handle it. It was not a problem for my dd but it may be for another child.

Coachandmom, you have a pretty talented gymnast. I am not a coach, nor do I know what is technically correct or unsafe. But your daughter looks great! She tumbles high and you should be proud. Not very many 5 year old can do what your daughter can do. She is pretty amazing. And she looks happy and enjoying herself. Good luck to you and your daughter.

I actually thought that Coachandmum took the criticism really well with the exception of the one poster near the beginning (I would've found that post insulting too). This video is posted in the brag section (I know it was moved), but isn't that the point of the brag section? It doesn't need to be technically perfect yet. I also appreciate that it may not be an appropriate skill yet. As for spending 3 hours in the gym, there are some kids that just thrive on physical activity. My 19 month old can't sit still (not for lack of us trying). Is he in the gym? No, but with some of the things he does I think he would be alot safer in a gym :). And from a fairly brief look, youtube is absolutely chocka with kids doing things in gymnastics or their backyards that don't look all that safe or developmentally wonderful.
I really hope no one takes any offense at what I've said. People seem very defensive at the moment.

Well I think you have a very talented daughter! You must be a great coach as well as a mom. When I grow up that's what I'd like to do as well :)

She is very cute.

I am wondering if you realize you have a google map link of where you live in your sig. My only concern is that it makes your dd easy to find. We have so many lurkers on the CB and we do not know why they are all here. If you need help to remove it just ask.

Um, yes, please! Thank you for pointing that out! That is so weird (and sad about lurkers).

---

Last edited by a moderator:
Super routine. I love love the spin into splits - really difficult to control. Nice backhandsprings too. When will she be ready to compete the other 3 events?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back