Brazil AA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
I just read that Brazil took Flavia Saraiva out of the AA and substituted their 3rd qualifier Jade Barbosa. Anyone know why?

I don't know why, but wonder if they might be testing her for beam final. She has a good shot at a medal there. Not such a good chance in the AA.

Could also be to avoid injury or because she is hurt. I think it makes sense to prioritize beam over AA for her.

I think they were separated by less than a tenth in qualifying.(both top 24) Barbosa is 25 years old, likely at the end of her career, maybe even pushing herself past where she might have otherwise to make sure the Brazilian team qualified for and did well at their home Olympics. She won the bronze medal in the AA at worlds for Brazil when she was 16 years old in 2007. She was a big reason Brazil qualified a full team to the 2008 and 2012 Olympics as well.(though she was controversially left off that 2012 team after refusing to sign some sort of commitment contract)

I think it is likely her federation wanted her to be able to perform AA at these Olympics on her home stage. Flavia is 16 with an amazing senior career ahead of her(hopefully as long as Barbosa) And she also has her best event, beam final to stay healthy for and focus on. I too hope Flavia was consulted, bogwoppit. I can see her also wanting Barbosa to be given the chance to do AA here at theses games.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back