Parents Bridge Kickover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinPrincess

Proud Parent
My DD is new to gymnastics (started last June at age 4 and was put on the team development program.) She did great and is skipping the next group to begin working with the level 3 girls. I have read on CB that back bends/bridges are a no no for young gymnasts (under 5) and I banned all bridges outside of the gym. My DD turned 5 in January but I don't believe anything "magical" happened to her when she turned 5, so I still don't allow any outside the gym.

I see that a bridge kickover is required in level 3 and I was wondering, how do young girls achieve this with VERY limited bridge work? (She actually has a strong one BTW) Do they just focus on strength training and shoulder flexibility and then the skill just comes or do they need to practice it more? I'm terrified of long term back problems for her. :(

She is old enough to begin.. and doesn't need to do it at home. They will practice a bridge in practice for short amounts of time during stretches, then rock and roll to counter the bridge. Don't worry about the kickover, it will come in time

She is old enough to begin.. and doesn't need to do it at home. They will practice a bridge in practice for short amounts of time during stretches, then rock and roll to counter the bridge. Don't worry about the kickover, it will come in time

Thanks for responding! We started this journey less than a year ago and it has been really fun. She loves her coaches and all the "big" girls, she's made friends and I can't believe how strong she has gotten! I've learned a ton on CB (I literally knew nothing...not even about levels. :oops:) However, some of the info on here can be downright scary! OCD in elbow/knee, spondylolsis/spondylolisthesis...yikes! Sometimes I worry that my over protective self could hold her back.

You can't compete Level 3 at age 5. She has to be 6 at a qualifying meet before the State meet deadline. Unless you are competing in the spring season, she won't be able to compete that level this year. (Just some information, not trying to start any arguments.)

You can't compete Level 3 at age 5. She has to be 6 at a qualifying meet before the State meet deadline. Unless you are competing in the spring season, she won't be able to compete that level this year. (Just some information, not trying to start any arguments.)

This is what I was thinking too. She may be able to train but not compete it just yet.

I thought that bridges weren't so bad; just backbends, no?

She's just training the level 3 skills. She will be 6 in January but our gym doesn't compete until level 4. I'm also pretty sure they only compete the spring season. (BTW, your comment did not come off as argumentative at all!)

I thought backbends and bridges were the same thing. :confused:

A bridge kick over implies that you can start lying on the ground and push up into the bridge and then kick over while a backbend starts from standing and you bend backwards into a bridge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back