Parents Bridge question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
My daughter is still pretty new to team gymnastics (She started in October). I've become a little paranoid about back injury after reading the forums here. She has a very flexible back. It's definitely where she demonstrates her best flexibility. (Her leg flexibility is not great.) She does a beautiful bridge, limbers are pretty easy for her(I think that's what they are called), and BWOs on the beam and floor are a strength for her. (Lots of other things are a challenge for her!) After reading stuff on here, I've told her no more BWOs or limbers at home. I think her gym is pretty good about limiting the amount of these they do in practice. However, they do a timed bridge in their warmup. I think they only have to hold it for about 10 seconds, BUT sometimes they require the whole team to hold it for 10 seconds and they keep going until everyone has it. I observed this one time (I don't usually watch much), they were in this position for quite a long time- maybe 3 to 5 minutes. She actually held the entire time (except I think came out of it once.) Is this something that would be damaging to her back? The HC was away at a meet, so maybe it was unusual to let this go on this long. She occasionally complains her back is sore but it goes away after a day or so. Should I be worried? Thanks!

How is her shoulder flexibility?

(Not sure if I did that right.)

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure. What is a good indicator of shoulder flexibility? I think they are happy with her form in a bridge if that has anything to do with it. There is still so much I don't know!

I'm not really sure what good shoulder flexibility looks like myself but I know it's important. I posted a picture of my dd's BWO on beam and got some great feedback, if you post a pic of your dd's BWO or bridge I'm sure someone might be able to tell you why she is having some mild back pain.

Most said my dd's shoulder flexibility looked ok (not perfect but not terrible) but she was having some mild back discomfort from time to time. I asked her coach to take a look at her beam BWO and see if she was doing something wrong technique-wise that might be causing her back pain, and the coach said in fact that she was hinging a bit in the lower back and she gave her some strategies for opening up her shoulders more and relying less on the lower back flexibility. Some girls overcompensate with lower back to make up for a lack of hip flexor flexibility as well from what I've read. Overusing the lower back can lead to trouble so better to catch it early and try to correct the technique than to let it further cause problems. Between the coach helping dd with her BWO and her doing more shoulder stretches at home, she has had no back discomfort at all this week (knock on wood.)

Our more experienced coaches have the girls "rock and roll" after each bridge… especially if they have to hold it for 0:45 or longer.
Some of our newer coaches forget this small detail, but for the gymnasts that do it, they have fewer back issues down the road (looking at the gymnasts that started in rec with our gym back in 2006 or later).

I will see about maybe posting a picture. Thanks! I should maybe just talk to a coach and ask what they think like you did! I am still intimidated to ask too much. Probably looking up some shoulder stretches couldn't hurt either!

What is "rock and roll"? I would definitely be interested in her doing that!

I will see about maybe posting a picture. Thanks! I should maybe just talk to a coach and ask what they think like you did! I am still intimidated to ask too much. Probably looking up some shoulder stretches couldn't hurt either!

What is "rock and roll"? I would definitely be interested in her doing that!
rock and roll is rolling into a ball and rocking back and forth… after arching the spine in the bridge, this does the opposite (curving the spine outward).
It really seems to help. Those girls that don't do it tend to complain about their backs more… especially as they get older.

rock and roll is rolling into a ball and rocking back and forth… after arching the spine in the bridge, this does the opposite (curving the spine outward).
It really seems to help. Those girls that don't do it tend to complain about their backs more… especially as they get older.
That makes perfect sense! I will share it with my daughter. Thank you!

That makes perfect sense! I will share it with my daughter. Thank you!
Actually she just said they usually do this- which makes me feel better! I think I likely watched an unusual practice since HC was gone. Maybe she can do this some at home too- although, I've told her she should leave most back stuff for class anyway.

Actually she just said they usually do this- which makes me feel better! I think I likely watched an unusual practice since HC was gone. Maybe she can do this some at home too- although, I've told her she should leave most back stuff for class anyway.
When we have those "highly unusual" practices, I remind the girls. The smart ones listen. The ones who are "too cool for school" don't... They are the ones that end up with back issues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back