WAG Bringing Back College Club Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Soaring

Coach
Gymnast
At my college we used to have an NAIGC club team, but it got shut down due to covid. Me and a group of about 10 other students so far are attempting to bring the club back. Previously the club team has used the same facilities as the NCAA team. Unfortunately after a semester of paperwork and meetings we have now been told that if we will have access to the facilities this semester we would have to rent them out as a 3rd party would and we would not be granted free access as the club was previously. After this semester we would have regular access, but is this normal? (I know this is a rather obscure question). We will be sent pricing for this soon, but I would have to imagine this will not be affordable.

Does it make sense to maybe reach out to gyms in the area to see if any would allow a club team to use their equipment for only a few months? We would be able to pay, but not a considerable amount.

At my college we used to have an NAIGC club team, but it got shut down due to covid. Me and a group of about 10 other students so far are attempting to bring the club back. Previously the club team has used the same facilities as the NCAA team. Unfortunately after a semester of paperwork and meetings we have now been told that if we will have access to the facilities this semester we would have to rent them out as a 3rd party would and we would not be granted free access as the club was previously. After this semester we would have regular access, but is this normal? (I know this is a rather obscure question). We will be sent pricing for this soon, but I would have to imagine this will not be affordable.

Does it make sense to maybe reach out to gyms in the area to see if any would allow a club team to use their equipment for only a few months? We would be able to pay, but not a considerable amount.
I would reach out to other college club teams and see what other clubs are using for facilities. I think a key aspect will be liability insurance and coaching. Other clubs should be able to help you set up a program. Also your college should have a recreational sports office and they also should be able to help you understand the requirements to restart a club gymnastics program. Good luck!!

It sounds like you have two related questions -- is it unusual for club teams to have to pay for access to varsity facilities? I think the answer is "no." Recently, there was a decent amount of backlash when it came out that the University of Michigan woman's hockey team (a very very good club team since UM doesn't have a women's NCAA hockey team) has to pay the athletic department something like $50,000 a year to access Yost ice arena. So, you're not alone in having to pay.

The weirder situation is why you need to pay for access now, but not later. I would investigate the details about THAT.

With that said, lots of club teams (my University's in particular) train just fine at local private gyms.

The weirder situation is why you need to pay for access now, but not later. I would investigate the details about THAT.

The reason for this is because my university is considering club gym a new club and new clubs don't have access to college facilities for the first semester. It's just frustrating because it isn't a new club, it's a change of ownership that they forced us to have since they closed the facilities. And we already had to wait a semester for them to get back to us with going through our paperwork. So we have to wait a year in total to use equipment. It just feels like there has to be a way around this, especially because this is an ivy league school with a lot of funding.

Yes, reach out to some local clubs and explain your temporary situation if the college comes back with a fee that’s too high. Some might be willing to help you out, let you come in a time when the gym is least crowded for a lower fee(all of you signing waivers, of course). Heck if I was a gym owner sounds like a great way to possibly recruit some part time coaches.

The reason for this is because my university is considering club gym a new club and new clubs don't have access to college facilities for the first semester. It's just frustrating because it isn't a new club, it's a change of ownership that they forced us to have since they closed the facilities. And we already had to wait a semester for them to get back to us with going through our paperwork. So we have to wait a year in total to use equipment. It just feels like there has to be a way around this, especially because this is an ivy league school with a lot of funding.
Ah, that’s the kicker: Ivy league school. Having had experience with other club sports at a certain Ivy League school in CT, I can say that they have no idea what to do with club activities and club sports are even more baffling to them. The ones that don’t overlap with varsity teams, like rugby, are an easier sell to the administration. But when club teams duplicate varsity teams, especially on the women’s side, the administration gets squirrelly. If you are indeed in New Haven, good luck! I know it’s hard to find enough people with cars on campus to get to a club gym, but that might be your best bet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back