Parents Broken arm

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi!
I recently broke my arm doing front flips on the trampoline, and I am going to be in a cast for 6 weeks, and am not allowed to do gymnastics for 6 weeks after I get it off. I am missing it already, so I was wondering if there was any training or practice I could do with only one arm?

Thank you :)

As a coach, first of all this is why we cringe when kids tell us what they're doing at home.

Secondly, I would go to a sports medicine doctor and/or physical therapist and get a detailed list of what you are cleared to do week by week as you heal. Take this list to your coaches and ask if it would be appropriate to come to part of practice to do your conditioning and flexibility work. With significant injuries, we typically have athletes stay for 60-90 minutes or so, depending on their clearance level, and they do conditioning, stretching, dance/basics as permitted, and any physical therapy exercises they should be doing.

As a coach, first of all this is why we cringe when kids tell us what they're doing at home.

Secondly, I would go to a sports medicine doctor and/or physical therapist and get a detailed list of what you are cleared to do week by week as you heal. Take this list to your coaches and ask if it would be appropriate to come to part of practice to do your conditioning and flexibility work. With significant injuries, we typically have athletes stay for 60-90 minutes or so, depending on their clearance level, and they do conditioning, stretching, dance/basics as permitted, and any physical therapy exercises they should be doing.
Thank you! I was actually at the gym when i broke my arm. Is there anything thay you can think of that i could do at home?

As a parent to a kid who I caught trying to do one armed kips on bars while supposedly resting from gymnast wrist, I'd say be patient (and also see a physical therapist). It sucks to be out for the period of time it takes to heal, but it doesn't help you in the long run to push things.

Hi!
I recently broke my arm doing front flips on the trampoline, and I am going to be in a cast for 6 weeks, and am not allowed to do gymnastics for 6 weeks after I get it off. I am missing it already, so I was wondering if there was any training or practice I could do with only one arm?

Thank you :)
I echo following doctor's orders. Also, stretching and flexibility routines would be super helpful. Anna McNulty has amazing flexibility routines on YouTube.

Seriously. See a physical therapist specializing in sports medicine and do what THEY say.
To reiterate make sure it’s a GOOD sports focused PT. Ask around. Ask your coaches. If you’re near a major university contact anyone who seems friendly and see who they send their top athletes to.

I’ve seen a million PTs over the years. The best two were (1) the guy Marshawn Lynch used to rehab a knee injury prior to the NFL combine and (2) a woman who went to multiple Olympics as a PT. Those two were simply far beyond the run of the mill and that’s the level of person I’d be looking for if it were my daughter.

As a parent to a kid who I caught trying to do one armed kips on bars while supposedly resting from gymnast wrist, I'd say be patient (and also see a physical therapist). It sucks to be out for the period of time it takes to heal, but it doesn't help you in the long run to push things.
Your kid and mine could be twins! Flipping on a broken foot behind the coaches back:( They gotta let it heal.

My daughter broke her arm on vault last year but she took that time to really improve her core strength, leg strength, and leaps and jumps. She came back way stronger and scoring way higher than before the injury.

My daughter broke her arm on vault last year but she took that time to really improve her core strength, leg strength, and leaps and jumps. She came back way stronger and scoring way higher than before the injury.
Sorry posted too quickly—I hope yours can take the time to heal and get stronger too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back