WAG Broken fingers common when training release moves?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We had a girl break her thumb last year when training her release move. She ended up being casted for several weeks bc of the location of the break.

Happens every now and then. I have had one Bow Break thumb on the bail, and a few Jammed thumbs.

It's not uncommon but I guess if it was happening more than twice for the same person I would be considering what's going on. So I wouldn't say "common" like it happens for everyone multiple times, but in the grand scheme of things at the level of gymnastics where you're learning this a broken finger is not an uncommon injury. Happens more on beam than anything else in my opinion, but could happen on bars, sure. injuries to the upper body (much worse than broken finger) can happen on releases. Hopefully taking all precautions in learning and practicing will prevent as many as possible which is always everyone's goal.

Alex has smashed her hands on bars numerous times and no broken fingers (knock on wood)
She does a re-balance on beam. It wasn't even a fall. Im talking a gentle re-balance and breaks her thumb.
So I think it all depends on how and what age you hit it at.

Thanks for the replies... This is our second broken finger on bars, though on different skills. She is a L 10 and maybe just bad luck? Or do you think just not careful enough with her hands?

Thanks for the replies... This is our seconbroken finger on bars, though on different skills. She is a L 10 and maybe just bad luck? Or do you think just not careful enough with her hands?
Maybe more time catching with a sting mat over the bar on bail and sliding a mat over the bar during her major .

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back