WAG Broken foot-- is it realistic?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On February 12th I fractured 3 bones in my foot. I was vaulting and messed up my steps and somehow missed the board and smashed the whole left side of my left foot into the metal pole that holds up the vault. I am still hurt because I made some not-so-smart decisions. It happened on a wednesday night and I couldn't walk the next day so i missed school. I have never broken anything so I just figured it was fine and I should just try to toughen up and not go to the doctor (very stupid decision). I managed to go to school on friday even though the pain was worse and that was probably the worst day of my life.
So I finally agreed to go to Urgent Care on monday. They said they saw a fracture on the right side of my foot (where it barely hurt), so they gave me a walking boot because I said I didn't want crutches (another stupid decision). The radiologist said that wasn't a fracture so i had to go to an orthopedic doctor. I did and he found 3 hairline fractures on the left side of my foot.
The fractures healed in 8 weeks (8 weeks wearing the boot), but then the doctor diagnosed me with regional osteoporosis or what they like to call "cast disease". My dr. said that means there is not enough density in my foot and if I ran or jumped it might brake again.
Now i have this thing called RSD or CRPS. If you don't no what that is, that's when the nerves are really sensitive. So walking used to hurt really badly, but it's getting better. I cant stand on my toes or push on my toes very much because that hurts in the most. But I am slowly improving.

NOW to my question (sorry this is so long). I am going to the uww gymnastics camp for two weeks 7/13-7/17 and 7/20-7/24. Do you think I will be able to go? I am aware I probably wont be able to do vault and floor and maybe i'll be able to do beam ? At practice I only do some things on bars and like handstand walks (I have to go up on the right foot which is weird because I'm a lefty lol), and things like that in floor. I won a free week last year so that's why i'm going two weeks this year. Do you think it's worth it? Counting today, there is 27 days till camp, and maybe a miracle will happen and I'll be all better :)
I have been out for almost 20 weeks and I go to every practice and do strength and flex so i am in better shape than before which is good, but my leg is going to be really week. I have been going to PT twice a week for 12 weeks because my doctor said the only cure to RSD is therapy.

Is it realistic?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and thanks for all of the replies in advance :)

- Katie B.

I have absolutely no idea but I didn't want to read and not respond... So big hugs and hope your foot heals ok and you get to enjoy at least part of the camp!

Well, if you read my thread (about Spondylolysis), DD has back problems and was supposed to go to camp at the end of July. I called the camp and told them about DD's problem, explaining that she'll be out of her back brace by the time the camp starts, but will still have some limitations of what she can or cannot do. The immediate response was, if she has any limitation, she cannot come.
Maybe your situation is different, or your camp's policies are different, but the right thing to do would be to call them and ask.

Well, if you read my thread (about Spondylolysis), DD has back problems and was supposed to go to camp at the end of July. I called the camp and told them about DD's problem, explaining that she'll be out of her back brace by the time the camp starts, but will still have some limitations of what she can or cannot do. The immediate response was, if she has any limitation, she cannot come.
Maybe your situation is different, or your camp's policies are different, but the right thing to do would be to call them and ask.

Thanks! I definitely will call them. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter not being able to go to camp though.

There was a kid at ff last year with my kids who was in a boot. She seemed yo still have a lot of fun. :)

you have been out for 20 weeks and that you have another 27 days to go? That's a lot, you poor thing! If you were my kid, I would let you go ONLY of you babied your foot, ate well, SLEPT really well and complied with ALL of the PT. From there, if you felt great, i'd say GO, but still no floor and vault. I guess you also want to be able to enjoy time out of the gym too, so it would be a bonus if you could just walk around pain free right??
Best of luck! I am sending healing fairies to you!! I really know how this feels, my kid had to cancel last year for breaking the foot 5 days before leaving for IGC...:(

There was a kid at ff last year with my kids who was in a boot. She seemed yo still have a lot of fun. :)

I know that flip fest allows kids to go who are hurt, mostly because of there friends and family program, so I that hurt child wants they can stay in the gym or they can go with the kids who aren't in the gym

you have been out for 20 weeks and that you have another 27 days to go? That's a lot, you poor thing! If you were my kid, I would let you go ONLY of you babied your foot, ate well, SLEPT really well and complied with ALL of the PT. From there, if you felt great, i'd say GO, but still no floor and vault. I guess you also want to be able to enjoy time out of the gym too, so it would be a bonus if you could just walk around pain free right??
Best of luck! I am sending healing fairies to you!! I really know how this feels, my kid had to cancel last year for breaking the foot 5 days before leaving for IGC...:(

I sure don't know what's taking so long, but thank you! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back