WAG Broken nose

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymparent333

Proud Parent
My daughter broke her nose doing a shoot over on bars. She competed level nine this year but had to miss her state meet due to this injury. We are one week post her injury and she’s allowed to do some basic skills on floor in which she would not bump her nose like simple flips. However when she goes upside down she is in immense pain and pressure at the broken site. Has anyone experienced coming back to gymnastics after a broken nose? No surgery was required by the way.

The first and foremost thing with injuries is do not push the pain. If flips hurt, she should not be doing flips.

Also I read a story on here about a year ago with I think a wrist fracture? At one point her doctor cleared her for basic skills. Kid did handstand, cartwheels, handsprings, tucks etc. A few weeks later doctor now clears her for flight elements. Kid is confused, she was already doing basics including flight elements? Appearantly the doctor thought of basics as forward and backward rolls.

So clarify what your doctor means!

I am not a gymnast, but I've had a broken nose as well as sinus surgery, and for both it was at least two weeks before I could bear the pressure of stooping over, much less flipping upside down. She probably still has quite a bit of internal swelling causing pressure when she inverts, and she probably will have that pain until the swelling subsides. Best of luck to her-- it's shocking how much stuff inside your face can hurt!

I imagine going upside down creates a lot of blood flow and pressure to the head and sinus area. Sounds painful to me! I would avoid another week or so.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back