Parents Broken Radius After Care

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kristie

Proud Parent
So, to recap....

My 9 year old broke her right radius bone clear in half. She needed surgery to have a nail put in. She was casted for 5 weeks and now the doc thinks she's ok to be without one. Enter freaked out mom.

I know that the ortho wouldn't take her cast off if it wasn't ready to be taken off. But part of me is worried about her breaking it again. She goes back in 6 weeks and he fully expects it to be completely healed by then.

The xray looks like the bone is literally only 50% healed but I'm not a radiologist so I should shut my pie hole with that. LOL

I came here because so many of you have had kids with broken bones and I"m looking for guidance.

Her restrictions are nothing that poses a fall risk, like playground equipment, no bars, no high beam, no running and no contact sports. He did clear her for some conditioning at gymnastics but obviously no tumbling, handstands, bars or high beam.

In your experience, (I know you aren't doctors but you ARE parents) should I be worried about everyday activities? And of right bow, shes still holding it like it's her little baby and is being extremely careful with it but I know soon, she'll be back to normal and that's what's freaking me out.

How fragile is a broken bone after 5 weeks of casting? Like I said, her ortho didn't seem overly concerned about her doing most anything provided it didn't pose a fall risk. I did put in a call to ask about trampoline. I am like 50% no and 50% why not so I guess I hope the nurse calling back isn't like, are you CRAZY?!?!

I'm being nutty, aren't I? How am I going to handle this when she is actually cleared to go back 100%? I was pushing for her to get back at it but now that it's getting closer, I'm chickening out. LOL

My DD broke her humerus just above the elbow. She was casted for 4wks. After it came off and she still had activity restrictions, it was freaky. At least with the cast there is no thought in their minds that they could try regular activities. The reason they took her cast off was it was healed enough to to stay in place and fully heal (she had pins too), also arm get stiff in casts. Half the trouble with my DD was getting her normal range of motion back after being casted. So dr.s want the arms out and beginning to move to regain lost ROM.
To help with her thinking she was good to go.....At home her arm was free to move it around within the pain free zone, at school and gym I wrapped it with an ace bandage and had it in a sling. She was very mindful of it when the wrap and sling was on. This helped her and I a lot.

Thank you both! Glad I'm not being too over dramatic.

Her ortho said no sling. He wants her using it. I don't know about the wrap but chances are good he would veto that too since he wants her returning to regular activity as soon as possible. She is also restricted from gym so that's not an issue.

I don't know exactly what I'm afraid of her doing; everything I guess. I had to talk myself out of being afraid that she would hurt herself during sleep last night. Even though I knew logically that would not happen.

This has definitely been a challenge for me as a parent.

DD broke her radius and ulna a few years back. She had rods put in place. A month out from surgery she was cleared for any and all activity (rods were keeping the bones in place). Initially she was supposed to have the rods in for around a year (this is typical for the injury she had). In the end they were removed a couple of months later because all of the weight bearing on her arms actually helped build bone faster than most kids. I think that if they feel confident enough to remove your DD's cast, it sounds like she is healed. Follow the doctors orders and when in doubt, clarify with specifics. We were fortunate to have a wonderful pediatric sports ortho taking care of DD who has extensive knowledge of not only the injury but also her sport. He even knew and understood exactly what she was doing based on her level. So he was able to give specifics on things that would/ would not be okay. Also, DD's coaches (especially her HC) were knowledgable and careful about what they would allow her to do and her progressions after surgeries (she had two- one to put the rods in and another to take them out).

My non-gymnast, broke his arm in August, but the radius and the ulna clear through and they had to be surgically set. It was horrifying. He was in a cast for 5 weeks and then in a brace for another 4. Even after the brace came off, you could see a line in both of his bones and it did not look healed. She said it was a risk of re-breaking for a while due to the lack of strength in that arm. I've been so stressed about it because he seemingly broke it so easily the first time. ugh! I was definitely nutty about it because I was completely traumatized by the first break and to hear it was more susceptible made me want to invest in bubble wrap. I worked with him on regaining strength (pushups against wall and progressed to floor and planks). We just went in for his six month out appointment because he broke clear through growth plate and while the line was gone, it was still glowing. He has started baseball and I am a ball of anxiety lol

I add 3 weeks on for broken arms (after full release), we spend a couple weeks doing strength, hanging and hand stands etc.. then back extension rolls and swinging for a week or so. then work back into it. better safe than sorry, and whats a few weeks. :)

My DD had a radius ulna fracture, long arm cast for 6 weeks, short arm for 3 weeks and then splinted for another 6 weeks. Once back, only limited weight bearing to that arm for 4 more weeks and then slowly back to full gym!! My ortho told us the risk for injury is so high and didn't want to take any chances!

Thanks so much for the responses! But you are all REALLY freaking me out now. LOL

Judy, she broke her arm so effortlessly as well so it's like OMG is it going to happen again doing something seemingly simple? I know that medically, once it's completely remodeled, that spot is stronger than any other point on the body but until then.... I'm just freaked.

I did call the doc and of course, no trampoline and she's only allowed 8-10lbs of weight lifting on that arm. She wanted to do bear cro

Tomorrow she heads back to the gym for the first time without her cast and I told her that she doesn't need to stay for the whole time. 20-30 minutes is fine to get her back there and starting. She can't do a whole lot but I told her if she keeps waiting, it's just going to get harder to get back.

This just sucks. They are grooming her for team and this is such a set back.

Have any of you thought about bone density tests? I'm afraid this isn't a freak accident and something is wrong that will cause another break. Tell me I'm being paranoid.

Thanks again!

Kids break bones doing all kinds of things. So from that point, I wouldn't jump to bone density tests after one accident. But I would follow the restrictions clsoely, as what is another 2-3 weeks of taking slow, when compared to the chance of a re-injury?

Thanks so much for the responses! But you are all REALLY freaking me out now. LOL

Judy, she broke her arm so effortlessly as well so it's like OMG is it going to happen again doing something seemingly simple? I know that medically, once it's completely remodeled, that spot is stronger than any other point on the body but until then.... I'm just freaked.

Yes, same, very effortless. He's fallen a million times and just managed to fall the wrong way and braced and snap. ugh! I get nauseous just thinking about it! At the ER they said it is very common and see tons of those a week! In fact, another little boy was walking out as we rolled in. Good to know that it is stronger after the remodeling! My suggestion is don't stress about taking it slowly and have her work on building up the strength in that arm first.

As you know My dd broke her elbow in Jan so we're both dealing with some of the same issues.

Sending healing vibes your way...
Enter freaked out mom.
Based on previous posts you've been freaked out all along.
From your previous thread...
Since I was there watching, I waved my arms wildly at her motioning to her to stop that immediately because whipping your arm around one week post surgery is not smart IMO. I might have been over reacting.

I'm going to stick with the advice I gave you last time...
Our kids feed on our anxiety. (hopefully you're hiding this from her)

like the bone is literally only 50% healed but I'm not a radiologist so I should shut my pie hole
Agreed. ;)

In your experience, (I know you aren't doctors but you ARE parents) should I be worried about everyday activities?
I'm going to stick with the advice I gave you last time.
I would trust the recommendations your doctor is making about what she can/can't do. If you're not sure you should ask.

I'm being nutty, aren't I? How am I going to handle this when she is actually cleared to go back 100%?
Accidents happen, it's part of the sport (but it could happen doing anything). Take a deep breath. Do your best to stay calm, have some wine and listen to the doctor.

P.S. Injuries suck!

Too late to edit my previous post, but if you aren't comfortable with the information to your doctor is providing, you can hours get a second opinion.

Again, thank you!!!

I do trust our doctor. I'm really happy with everything so far. I just get antsy and you guys are right here with all this experience and knowledge. haha I like hearing what you all have to say. I know I can't rely on you for medical advice but I can for support in making me not feel so crazy. ;) NY Dad, you're cracking me up. I know, I know...I'm trying really hard to be calm and supportive and reminding her not to be too nuts and to slow it down. It's SO HARD to see her start to run and then remember she can't and slow down to a funny looking old persons power walk. lol

I did call am bugged them again. It's really all about just taking it easy. I bought her some bright colored wrap to put on her arm so no one forgets it's still fragile and tonight we're hitting the gym for some easy stretching and what not.

I'm trying to be calm. She's been acting normal and last night was so excited when I told her that in just 6 short weeks she would be doing cartwheels and handstands again. It seems she's already getting over the injury, which is good because mentally she will be at least prepared. Now when the time comes to actually do one, that's another story. haha

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back