Parents Bruise from bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tmacs

Proud Parent
My very thin daughter has a reoccurring bruise from kipping and casting and hitting her hip/pelvis area on the bar. It's currently very painful. It will get a little better with a few days off but then come back again. Any ideas on how to prevent or protect this area or help it heal quickly?

This is very common I feel, not everyone talks about it since it is an awkward spot to get bruised. I get the same thing, and I usually wear shorts when that happens and then ice the area when I get home.

This is very common I feel, not everyone talks about it since it is an awkward spot to get bruised. I get the same thing, and I usually wear shorts when that happens and then ice the area when I get home.
Yep, its quite common.

Usually happens around level 4/5 or whenever gymnasts start trying to connect kip to casts, due to a rushed entry into the pike position required to cast high. It can be fixed by not forcing your hips to the bar at the last moment, but instead being patient and keeping your hips pressed to the bar as early as possible and rocking forward instead of bouncing forward. Generally it is a stage that will pass.

I feel like both my kids had this when learning baby giants. I hated watching them do that skill and slam their little bodies into the bar!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back