WAG Bruised balls of feet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I seem to be prone to bruised feet. Last year I dealt with bruised heels from back tucks on beam (obviously a separate problem involved since I shouldn't be landing flat foot on that skill!) but now it's the balls of my feet that feel bruised and painful to put pressure on. It came about when I started doing way too many reps of jumps and switch leaps on beam and running outside, and now they are just getting progressively worse each day. I know rest is the key, but I have nationals in one week so I'm wondering if any one has some experience and quick remedies of relief? Let me know, thanks!

A girl in our gym uses these socks that have gel padding just for beam....
Alicia sacramone makes Soleimpact Socks.

...... and concentrate on finishing the jumps and leaps with a softer landing that absorbs the beam instead of pounding against the beam.

I agree with @iwannacoach. The best landings (and take offs for that matter), are the ones that touch down progressively from the toes, to balls of the feet, to the heels (because the heels are going to touch no matter what from a relatively high/aggressive landing.) Something very interesting that I learned from my readings into biomechanics is that the earlier the feet can contact the ground, the sooner they can start working to reduce the impact of a landing. The force of a landing is progressively absorbed, meaning it is first dampened by the toes, then the balls of the feet, then the ankles, then the tibialis muscles, into the knee system, then onto the quadriceps, proceeding to the gluteal muscles, and finally the core. This is called the kinetic chain, and it is used in exact reverse in take-offs. I love biomechanics. :D

....... the earlier the feet can contact the ground, the sooner they can start working to reduce the impact of a landing.

That works for me, as long as you don't reach to the beam in a way that over stretches you or pulls you out of alignment. Like trying to get your foot to the beam when your hips are 32 inches above the beam and your leg is only 28 inches long.

I seem to be prone to bruised feet. Last year I dealt with bruised heels from back tucks on beam (obviously a separate problem involved since I shouldn't be landing flat foot on that skill!) but now it's the balls of my feet that feel bruised and painful to put pressure on. It came about when I started doing way too many reps of jumps and switch leaps on beam and running outside, and now they are just getting progressively worse each day. I know rest is the key, but I have nationals in one week so I'm wondering if any one has some experience and quick remedies of relief? Let me know, thanks!
I thought that I had bruised heels too. But as time passed I realized that it wasn't bruised it was pure pain. Now me and my mom both think that I have severs. Severs isn't anything that'll injure you but it is painful. It can't be seen with an
X-ray so doctors do a squeeze test and they squeeze certain spots to see if it hurts. Ask your doctor about possibly being checked out to see if he/she can diagnose you with anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back